Paintball Guns and Gear forums banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
PbF Supporter
4,738 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Really trustworthy for 15,000 miles as they claim? Seams like WAY too long without changing it OR the filter...

I have an 04' Jeep Wrangler with 38,000 miles and I use a mopar oil filter if that helps...

Thanks

·
Imperator
19,071 Posts
Depends on the vehicle, most vehicles have trouble going past 10,000 miles, even with synthetic. I still stick to the 3,000 mile oil change anyway, but you can get your oil analyzed and it will tell you exactly how long you can get away without changing it.

·
Premium Member
13,027 Posts
I don't buy into any of that bull****. I just use conventional oil and change it every 3k miles.

·
We The People
5,925 Posts
A lot of people/places/companies are now saying you can go 5k between oil changes. I do this with my truck, for example. With the Z though, it's every 3k or sooner. It really depends on the vehicle, vehicle age, how often you drive it, etc.

-Jin

D

·
0 Posts
I'm going to do 5k with synthetic in my truck. I do all highway miles though, so its different than driving 3k in the city.

·
Certified Caffeine Addict
3,072 Posts
I use Royal Purple and a K&N oil filter every 3k miles. This last time, however, I let it go to 6k miles before changing it. The resulting oil was the absolute nastiest gunk that has ever come out of my engine, way worse than the brownish-purple oil that normally comes out. It was beyond black, so thick it was a little chunky, and smelled terribly burnt. Not only that, but it caused my car to idle irregularly and gave me overheating issues. K&N claims that their filters will last over 15k miles, but I will never go past 3k again.

·
Premium Member
13,027 Posts
I use Royal Purple and a K&N oil filter every 3k miles. This last time, however, I let it go to 6k miles before changing it. The resulting oil was the absolute nastiest gunk that has ever come out of my engine, way worse than the brownish-purple oil that normally comes out. It was beyond black, so thick it was a little chunky, and smelled terribly burnt. Not only that, but it caused my car to idle irregularly and gave me overheating issues. K&N claims that their filters will last over 15k miles, but I will never go past 3k again.
LOL @ you throwing your money away.

·
Allen
5,718 Posts
A fram Extra Guard oil filter filters down to a smaller micron than the K&N plus its a alot cheaper.

Just a lil FYI.

·
Taking Back Control
2,191 Posts
just my experience working at a parts store:

Fram and stp filters work just fine as long as you change every 3k miles or less. STP filters occasionally have sealing problems sometimes, still not sure whether its an internal filter problem (backflow prevention valve, element, etc.) but a good filter for the price is the bosch filters, no lie. they're built like tanks with higher quality filter element, and they are a tad bit cheaper than their counterpart, the mobil one, built much the same way. K&N filters are good filters, yes, but for what you pay for them they totally arent worth it, especailly every 3k miles. I'd go with the bosch or M1.

·
Premium Member
13,027 Posts
I never buy STP filters anymore. I changed the oil on my Mustang and the filter like blew out and leaked all the oil I just changed. I made Autozone give me new ****.

·
I was saving that bacon
7,177 Posts
I used that last time and drove 10k miles in my nissan pickup. The oil wasn't really bad in it. I think it could have gone the full 15.

Also, I use Fram TG filters.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts