Paintball Guns and Gear forums banner

Was the man moral in the below situation

• Total voters
1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
493 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
allright I have a breif story for you PBF and then a question. i have to chart the answers and your reasons for anylysis in Psychology.

A Man's wife has an extremly rare form of cancer. She is going to die within months. However the doctors think that there is a way to save her. a new form of radium that has recently been discovered by a pharmacist in the same town. It is However very expensive. The pharmacist produces it at $200 but charges $2000 dollars for it. The man went to everyone he knew to barrow the money but only managed to raise $1000. He begged the pharmacist to sell it cheeper or let him pay it off later, but the Pharmacist refused. He said that the he had discovered the treatment and intended to make money off it. Driven to desperation the man broke in and stole the radium.

Was the man morally correct for stealing the drug in this situatiun?

please vote and post explaining your reasons. I need to know why you judge as you do to determine what moral judgment category you fall under.

·
Administrator
23,645 Posts
while the man was not moral, neither was the pharmisist.

but just because somebody does something wrong doesn't mean that you can do something wrong to them.

there's always a way to get money. It all depends on how far he would go for his wife. Apparently he didn't care for his wife much because he did something illegal to help her. the right way would be to get a loan.

·
Screaming Koala
4,685 Posts
Yea.

He needed it now. Not when the bank agreed to give him a loan.

Hell with that pharmacist. He's going to let someone die because he couldn't get a 1000% profit.

There really could be more information given out though.

·
I was saving that bacon
7,177 Posts
The pharmacist was trying to "rob" the people making a ton of profit, so the man decided to rob the pharmacist. Both of them are morally wrong in my opinion. Now if the man pays the pharmacist when he gets the money, that would make it better but still not right.

·
startx: command not found
3,991 Posts
What the pharmacist doesn't realize is that if he did sell it cheap(without publicly disclosing the price) and it saved the man's wife, he'd be all over the news and people would be forking out $2000 left and right to save their cancerous relatives.

Also, if he did refuse, the man could have brought it up to the media and the pharmacists reputation could be ruined indefinately. It would probably result in the rest of america/world shuning him, and potentially having another person break in and steal the formula anyways.

I find the man morally correct. However, he was not legally correct. Civil disobediance.

The value of the wife's life is greater than any legal consequence the man may recieve.

·
Registered
956 Posts
He is morally right.
Sometimes you have to do what is wrong, in order to achieve what you think is right.

The same concept applies to our Declaration of Independence, it was written and signed illegaly, but the men were doing what they thought, and knew, was right.

·
Shine on Rick Wright
3,235 Posts
mor‧al  /ˈmɔrəl, ˈmɒr-/ Pronunciation Key - Show Spelled Pronunciation[mawr-uhl, mor-] Pronunciation Key - Show IPA Pronunciation
–adjective
1. of, pertaining to, or concerned with the principles or rules of right conduct or the distinction between right and wrong; ethical: moral attitudes.
2. expressing or conveying truths or counsel as to right conduct, as a speaker or a literary work; moralizing: a moral novel.
3. founded on the fundamental principles of right conduct rather than on legalities, enactment, or custom: moral obligations.
4. capable of conforming to the rules of right conduct: a moral being.
5. conforming to the rules of right conduct (opposed to immoral): a moral man.
6. virtuous in sexual matters; chaste.
7. of, pertaining to, or acting on the mind, feelings, will, or character: moral support.
8. resting upon convincing grounds of probability; virtual: a moral certainty.
–noun
9. the moral teaching or practical lesson contained in a fable, tale, experience, etc.
10. the embodiment or type of something.
11. morals, principles or habits with respect to right or wrong conduct.

Im guessing theres no right or wrong answer. Anywho, depending on how you look at it, and which definition you use - you can present a very strong argument

·
Administrator
23,645 Posts
HomE SkiLLeT said:
He is morally right.
Sometimes you have to do what is wrong, in order to achieve what you think is right.

The same concept applies to our Declaration of Independence, it was written and signed illegaly, but the men were doing what they thought, and knew, was right.

so you think that rebels forming against a country is moral?
I'm not really trying to say you're wrong by saying that, but what our country did to begin, is comparable to terrorism today. (i know that's a bad word to use, but it's the onyl thing i can come up with right now)

·
Registered
4,186 Posts
Look at what Linchon(sp?) did, he threw people in jail for no reason, yet it was to save the constitution. When there was a vote in maryland on weather or not to secede, he threw people he knew were going to vote for sucession in jail, thus breaking the constitution, yet doing what was right in preserving the union, his will to kep the union "afloat" if you will out weighed the law he was breaking.

Kinda the same thing. :hug:

·
Registered
515 Posts
martix_agent said:
so you think that rebels forming against a country is moral?
I'm not really trying to say you're wrong by saying that, but what our country did to begin, is comparable to terrorism today. (i know that's a bad word to use, but it's the onyl thing i can come up with right now)
what they did wasnt terrorism, your not a terrorism jsut because you wanna break off of a tyrant...

i tihnk the guy was moral about it, he wanted to save his wife and the doc was being a jag bag about it.

·
Let's hug it out
4,506 Posts
argh...i was pulled between both of them and pressed no, well honsetly if i just waited a split second longer i would have selected yes.

This is a life and death matter, which outweighs stealing vs buying. The pharmacists job is to help people and save lives, i know he's trying to make a profit out of it but he'd be making a pretty damn good profit if he still sold it to the man for 1000 which is still a 500% profit. Hell the man even offered to pay him back later, and if he finances the pharmacist would end up making MORE money due to interest and such.

The pharmacist isn't doing his job correctly if all he's focusing on is the money aspect of his job because nowhere in his job description does it say "To rob and rip customers off"

1 - 20 of 29 Posts