Paintball Guns and Gear forums banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
12,110 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Funny how I'll go weeks without makign a new thread, then sometimes I make 2-3 a day in the lounge...

Anyways, I was at work, when a ref whom I often engauge in practical jests with dry fired in my right ear as I was cleaning a gun. The barrel was off, and it was a piranha, so it was fairly loud.

I immediately noticed some hearing loss, and its been ringing for about an hour.

Came home and told the parents, but it was more imporant that they get drunk at TGI Fridays, so I checked out webMD (although I'd prefer to converse with Dean).

Alas, it says I shoudl contact my doctor within 24 hours with my symptoms. I have no loss of balance or anythign like that. Just some ringing. I have noticed that my hearing has improved since the incident.

I really dont expect any permanent damage. I can still hear fairly well, but it is a problem nontheless.

What I ask is if anybody on here has had a similar experience, and what everything was like.

I dont want any "STFU go see a doctor now". Its 7:15 at night. My parents are out. I'm getting high. It can wait.

·
Registered
2,513 Posts
Ya,my ears ring for about a day after concerts. But if it doesn't stop for a long time,I would go see a doctor.

·
1,751 Posts
My Arizona trip had most of my hearing gone for about an hour and I didn't hear normal until about 36 hours later.

·
Premium Member
5,674 Posts
launch 10 rounds HE quick out of an 81mm mortar and you will know ringing ears. you are being a puss....and....you are becoming crazy by looking online and worrying about symptoms.

·
12,110 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
That makes me feel a whole lot better. Ive had ringing ears and **** before, but never so thatI had hearing loss.. Makes me feel a ****load better.

:sighofrelief:

·
Registered
1,784 Posts
Same thing happened when I first shot a .357 with not earplugs several years ago. Several hours of shooting resulted in ringing for two days. Hearing comes back.

·
Registered
830 Posts
eh i dunno, i'm mostly deaf in one of my ears from who knows what. go see a doctor NOW.

·
Superdeeduper Admin Type
17,772 Posts
You should be fine after a while. The danger exisists whent the pressure is great enough to rupture the eardrum. Should that have happend, you would be in extreme pain, maybe see fluid or blood coming from the ear canal, as well as a loss of hearing in that ear.

Dry firing into your ear from close proximity is an assualt as far as I am concerned. You could have easily suffered serious damage. That is why the head slap is illegal in football these days.

·
Registered
10,024 Posts
BUBBASR. said:
launch 10 rounds HE quick out of an 81mm mortar and you will know ringing ears. .
in 8th grade we went to this place to see these huge guns going of..have no idea what they were, but theyre the ones you hear booming at night...sucked tho cuz they ran out of earplugs before i could get some, so i had to just cover my ears...was cool though..

·
Premium Member
5,674 Posts
flowbob said:
in 8th grade we went to this place to see these huge guns going of..have no idea what they were, but theyre the ones you hear booming at night...sucked tho cuz they ran out of earplugs before i could get some, so i had to just cover my ears...was cool though..
think during the day. when you hear the 3 bangs in a row. over and over again. thats the grenade range. in the middle of the night actually just a little after sun down we start launching mortar stuff that stuffs normally just illumination rounds so no real explosion but when they have high explosive stuff around they can shoot that too.

thats why I think these video games are hillarious. you are throwing grenades like 20 feet away and they blow up and you can hear just fine. you can hear people walking around and stuff. not true at all.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts