Paintball Guns and Gear forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Premium Member
13,027 Posts
*Waits for Zpyro..*

I won't get into in-depth detail yet but I'll answear your basic questions.

1. Average motorcycle goes for.. thats a stupid question. Anywhere from $1500-$7000.

2. Anywhere from ~45-65mpg roughly.

3. Yes you'll need a motorcycle license. Also I recomend taking the MSF Rider Safety Course.

·
Holy ****ing Asscrackers!
6,721 Posts
1337 said:
*Waits for Zpyro..*
:devil:

yeah there's much more to it than "average motorcycle." since you're new to motorcycling I'd say get a BEGINNER'S bike. not an R6, not a ninja ZX-6RR, not a Hayabusa. They look and sound cool and all, but they can and will hurt/maim/kill you. Newbies never realize just how powerful and ungodly fast the supersport bikes are (despite the SUPERSPORT name). Think 4x the power to weight ratio of a Viper, with NO protection from anything other than thye gear you wear, and the unstability of a dirty bomb. One little mistake can cost you your life. The throttle is very responsive, which may be good for a racer but not so much for a newbie just learning the ropes.
A lot of people out there riding supersports will likely tell you that it's perfectly OK to start on a new supersport, because they have yet to wreck and so did their friend's brother's uncle's cousin. They still have that invincibility issue where they think "That'll never happen to me! I ride oh-so-safe!" Not only do they not realize that it isn't so much rider safety as twitchy and unforgiving bike, they also forget that "There are two types of riders; those who have gone down, and those who will." They will eventually crash, and it's when they convince themselves that it won't happen to them that, when they do, it's especially gruesome.
Another reason to start slow would be to learn how to ride correctly. There is a difference between learning how to RIDE and learning how to SURVIVE. Any lackey with basic motor skills can pilot a supersport from point A to point B with not much trouble, but it's the true rider who starts off with a slower bike and learns the skills necessary to ride one of those supersports the way they were meant to be ridden. Put it this way; would you rather ride a slow bike fast, or a fast bike slow?
Yet ANOTHER reason to start off slow is the cost issue. Since you don't know how much bikes cost, you probably have no idea how much insurance costs. As a young male on a fast bike, insurance companies see you as a HUGE reliability. Therefore your brand new bike that cost you 8 grand out the door will cost just about as much for a year of full coverage insurance. If you think you don't need full coverage, consider my situation. I had only liability, and if it weren't for the other guy who hit me having insurance, I would be out a bike, and be in a lot of pain because I don't have the money to pay for a doctor and I would be out a LOT of money because of the ER visit alone (mine was $11,000. yes, ELEVEN THOUSAND DOLLARS for a half hour ER visit and some x-rays). A used 250 Ninja on the other hand would cost $1500~2500, and insurance would be an assload cheaper. Not to mention the parts of the bike costing a lil less.

So young grasshopper, as you can see it will behoove you to read up and read a lot, take what you hear from squids with a grain of salt, take what you hear from old farts who have been riding for years upon years, and make a sound decision. It could cost you your life. thumup:

1 - 5 of 5 Posts