Paintball Guns and Gear forums banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm new to paintball and consider myself in decent shape; jog 3 times a week.

I'm shocked, even a little freaked out, at how my legs are reacting after a game. Today I had to leave the field after 15 minutes because my upper thigh muscles were sore as hell, from last weeks game. The muscles don't heal in a week??? Didn't know about the strain until the game started.

Anybody else go through this?

·
Premium Member
23,657 Posts
playing paintball works muscles in different ways than running does. My advice is stretch stretch stretch:) if you experiencing cramping as well, eat bananas.

·
Registered
41 Posts
i did gymnastics for 8 years so i went through the same stuff. i agree matrix eat bananas if your cramping and if there sore work the muscles harder. if you work out with them when there sore you will actually gain more muscle then when you work out with normal muscles.

·
Premium Member
23,657 Posts
oh and a muscle strain is not the same as being sore. doing work with a strained muscle can damage things. With sore muscles, they're simply sore due to abnormal effort.

·
Premium Member
23,657 Posts
yep. better take it easy if you have those symptoms. Ice it down for a few hours each day if possible.

I used to strain my quads when I played soccer because I have an unusually long stride. It sucked, but it was never enough to keep me out for a few days. I remember one year in soccer camp I had to skip out in the final game because it hurt just to walk.

·
Registered
23 Posts
You should really see a doctor if things persist. you could have low potassium levels, or possibly even a lower back problem you don't know about.

·
Registered
6,346 Posts
Cantelope tastes so good,

·
Registered
11,482 Posts
Cantelope tastes so good,
Haha, yea, I'll have to keep that in mind.

I know that the constant bending and getting down on your knees and all the shifting of weight would take a toll on my legs for a few days. I never have gone paintballing back-to-back weekends however so any signs of soreness would disappear before playing again.

·
Registered
9 Posts
My first time playing paintball (woodsball) was a few weeks ago and while I know I'm in good shape, I used muscles that I didnt know existed. We (a group of 8) played for about 5 hours straight playing random 4v4 games in the woods behind a friends house with very little time between games. Most of the guys were complaining about being sore and their legs "burning" when we decided to wrap up the day. I wasnt feeling any of the aftermath so I was kinda pleased with my fitness. That is until about 5 hours later. I came home and took a short nap after getting outta the shower. I woke up a few hours later and I kid you not..my legs were killing me. Especially around my thighs and quads. It felt like I had been in a muay tai match and lost miserably. Luckily the pain only lasted a few days and since then, the pain has come in smaller doses and the recovery time has shortened.

Paintball uses muscles that you dont normally use. Like you mentioned, all the dropping to the ground and then rising quickly. The shifting of weight and short sprints take their toll on your body but its like anything else. The more you do of a certain activity, the better your body will react later. My suggestion to you would be to definitely stretch before playing but also start a small workout routine. Nothing too strenuous, just some lunges and push-ups. I'd suggest doing about 20 push-ups but to add a twist, right before you lock out (never lock out the elbows!)your elbows, jump up to one knee. Thats been working for me so far and while I cant document it, I know that its improved my reaction time during field play.

·
Registered
147 Posts
Yeah, paintball definitely works different muscles in different ways. Cantelope is gross, and just stretch and ice down your soreness. Icing then heating normally works really well for stuff like that.

·
Most Likely to Get Gogged
151 Posts
Yeah, it's a different kind of workout. If you practice playing a bunker you'll find your upper thighs being sore - you're only working that part of your leg because you're in a permanent crouch. You might even find your upper body a little sore from holding the gun straight/up.
Hell, my back actually hurts a bit (in a kind of sore way, though, not really pulled something in it or something) if I do this for a while because i lean forward, too. Any ideas or just follow what's going on in this topic?

·
Registered
9 Posts
Well I can't say I've ever really been sore afterwards. I'm a pretty active person. I run track and play football/soccer during the fall. During the offseasons I lift weights and run so that helps a lot. IF you do truly have a strain or any type of actual injury, stay off it and ice it. I had a horrible glut injury during the summer, it took like 4 months just to get my running form back.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts