Paintball Guns and Gear forums banner

What should it be?

• Total voters
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Xplicit Eg06
4,567 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Alright, alright. Let me explain myself. After some talk with my brother over the direction we want to go with my stang, we've decided to let her go and start with a slightly different base. This coming spring it would have been my DD and it just was not quite ready for that. Once it started snowing here we yanked the Dart block out of it, and we are currently putting together a motor to put in the car to sell it. What I am looking at building now is a 12 second, streetable car that I can DD every single day. Big point here, it HAS to hook on DR's and it HAS to be reliable.

Given my history, I have to stay with a muscle car. since we are equal opportunity, we are going to give Chevy a fair shot in this one.

Option 1: '96-'98 Ford Mustang Corba
Pretty obvious here, 4.6L 32v Modular motor is a big plus for me. You'll never catch me dead in a 2v 4.6 so this is my only newer ford option. Plans here would be a Vortech or Procharger set up to get me about 400rwhp and that's it. Bolt ons from there forward, and 3.55's. This combo should get me deep into the 12's. Future plans would be a V-spec'd T56

Option 2: '93-'97 Camaro or Trans Am
I love the potential of the Lt1 motor! Big plus here is the 6 speed transmission (I log lots of interstate miles). I think they are great cars, and with the ease of a 98-02 front end swap (100% bolt on) I can take care of the only part that I hate about them! Plans here are slightly different because these cars are significantly cheaper. I would be looking for one that already had heads, cam, intake and exhaust and I would spend the remainder of my budget reconditioning the car, or spending more to find a lower milage version. All these must be M6, and I strongly prefer T-Tops.

Things to keep in mind:
-This will be my ONLY VEHICLE until next winter
-I will be teaching my girlfriend how to race with which ever I end up with. As it is now, she can't even drive stick.
-Must be Streetable, and able to put power to the ground through a Drag Radial

Opinion away!

·
Registered
6,346 Posts
My ex gf is driving her step dads trans am, and damn do I want it. I'd go for that.

·
Premium Member
13,027 Posts
My buddy is selling his 96' Cobra. TKO 500 Transmission, Spec Stage 3 Clutch, BBK Lowering Springs, BBK CAI, Steeda Sway Bar, Flows, few other little things. I believe he was wanting $7500. White with tan leather.

It's pretty clean. Ran a 13.8 pass with only the exhaust on it. With the right driver it could probably see a lower 13. Figured it'd be a good pick up for you since the drivetrain is already solid. Has around 90-100k miles I believe. Let me know if you'd be interested. He's only selling it because he goes to school at Embry Riddle in Daytona Beach, so the car just sits here in KS not being driven for months and months. Other then his dad taking it out every once in a while. He's wanting to sell it and get a bike down in Florida.

·
teh car guy
1,292 Posts
I'd go cobra-I was looking at these cars before I bought my tib, but the closest one was almost in Pennsylvania. That, plus the 4v 4.6s sound awesome.

I'm not really a fan of the lt1 cars personally. If you like them, then go for them. I'd just rather have a dual-cam cobra myself with a little vortech or kenne bell action

·
<3 I love fat chicks <3
5,188 Posts
Instead of building whatever is already in it, why don't you swap a big motor into a small, light sports car?

Turbo'd Ls1 into a 240z/Fiero? :D

·
Xplicit Eg06
4,567 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I'm American Muscle to my roots, so it's gotta be just a traditional muscle car. Were looking into turbo Ls1 swapping a Z32 300zx coupe for a customer so I'll keep you updated on it.

Nick-Mehhhhhhh, I like the car and it's the color that I'm looking for but it's just more than I can justify spending right now. I have to be able to buy something that I can resell at profit so that I can work my way up to my terminator. Put in the good word for me with him, and maybe we can work something out. I REMEMBER THE THREAD ABOUT YOU BREAKING THAT!

Punk drummer- The thing that's keeping me from going with a slowbra right now is between difference in vehicle pricing, and difference in performance is going to be around 4 grand. I would rather have a boosted Cobra but the difference in price might make it one car away for me. I can flip an Lt1 and increase my budget by a couple grand. I'd rather buy a Cobra already boosted so it will be easier to resell and I can have less into it.

·
Premium Member
13,027 Posts
Money talks, but I'm telling you, you're not going to find a cleaner 96-98 Cobra for cheaper then $7500. Yes I did break this car because the T-45 is pathetic. I don't know if he'll budge on the price because he's got close to 12k into it.

·
teh car guy
1,292 Posts
You could find a good lt1 car for that kinda cash, or a high mileage ellis wahn.

If you want the best bang for the buck, lt1 hands down. I'm just partial to the dual-cam cobras

·
<3 I love fat chicks <3
5,188 Posts
Nope. Show some classic taste with the Ls1 swapped Z.

Sports car suspension/body, muscle engine. You can't go wrong!

·
teh car guy
1,292 Posts
I've owned both, and I'm just not a fan of the powerjoke. I liked my 7.3 but for the same money I spend for a programmer on it, my 12v Cummins made over 1000ft lbs.

YouTube - Widick Diesel Dyno Day - 1320Video FF to 6:15 in that.
I was never really a fan of the 7.3, but the 6.1 was a different story. My buddy had a 6.1 with a nice lift, 38s, and some mudflaps, haha. You woulda never guess the thing ran 12s

·
Xplicit Eg06
4,567 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
6.0 or the newer 6.0? I like the 7.3 because it's pretty bulletproof as a motor. The tranny's are just like dodges though, popsicle sticks and glue. I'm a big fan of mechanical injection 12v and 6 speed combo in the 94-98 Cummins. I like tearing apart my injection pump and working them over.

·
Registered
4,452 Posts
I was never really a fan of the 7.3, but the 6.1 was a different story. My buddy had a 6.1 with a nice lift, 38s, and some mudflaps, haha. You woulda never guess the thing ran 12s
That sounds soo amazing. I wish I had a truck like that.

If you have a 4x4 with a fulltime option, would it benefit you to race with the 4x4 on? Or is rear wheel going to give you the same quarter mile?

1 - 20 of 23 Posts