Paintball Guns and Gear forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi! I was cleaning out some stuff in my parents' house when I unearthed my old Spyder E99 Avant and my brother's Spyder Xtra. I gave them both a deep clean and noticed that the Xtra's sear spring was broken, so I replaced it. Well strangely enough the gun still won't cock (actually it cocks about 5% of the time I try to charge the bolt), even with that fixed. Either something else is broken or somehow I put it back together incorrectly. I've studied the diagram very closely and don't see how I could have screwed up putting it together. I read that the sear might be worn out but that definitely isn't the case, the upper/posterior angle is still sharp and not at all smoothed out.

Any ideas? Thanks!

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks for your input. The only part of the trigger mechanism I messed with was the sear, and I checked and double checked that and it's definitely in the right orientation. It doesn't seem to be catching the sear, but I have no idea what might be stopping it. Let me know if you have other ideas, otherwise I may have to take it in to be looked at. No way it's worth paying to fix, hopefully I can just run it by someone at the counter of some local paintball place...

·
Administrator
14,069 Posts
If you are willing to pay shipping both ways I'll fix it. Just throwing it out there

Other things,

1, This may sound weird but flip the marker upside down and try to cock it, does it catch then?

2, Is the rear frame screw right?

3, Is the o ring on the hammer towards the front or rear?

4, is the bolt connected to the hammer through the bolt pin?

Are you able to upload photos? If not I can send you my phone number in a message, seeing will really help

Sent from my Moto Z (2) using Tapatalk

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Wow, thanks! If we can't figure it out online I'll probably take you up on that.

I'll have a close look at it tonight and upload some pics. Appreciate it!

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Your first guess was right! When I hold the marker upside down with the front pointed up it cocks back every time. In any other position it won't cock. I'm wondering whether the sear moves too freely? I included a pair of pictures to show its range of (passive) motion.

The rear screw is snug.

Which part is the hammer actually? I'm going by the diagrams at the following link (Spyder Paintball Manuals - Manuals and Downloads for Spyder Paintball Markers, Loaders, Tanks, and Accessories) for the 2003 and 2007 Spyder Xtra (I have the 2003 but the diagram for the 2007 gives more detail regarding the trigger assembly). If you mean the part labeled as the "striker" or "striker bolt" the O-ring is toward the front, and it is connected to the cocking bolt through the bolt pin.

Here's a bunch of pictures. The last two show the range of motion of the sear (seems like a lot?). Just let me know if you need any more. Thanks again!

·
Administrator
14,069 Posts
Ok I think I see it. It looks like the return spring has come off of the sear. At rest the sear should be up

There should be a hole for the spring on the bottom of the sear, make sure that's still intact and the spring still has its hook on the end.

If all is well what you'll need to do is punch out the pin that holds the sear in (the side with the knurling, or "spikes" is the side that needs to come out first and go in last) reattach the sear spring and then get that pin back in place.

Sent from my Moto Z (2) using Tapatalk

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Thanks!

So to be clear, the rear of the sear spring goes around a roll pin and the front of the spring goes into the little hole in the sear?

As it is I have both of the ends of the spring around roll pins.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts