Paintball Guns and Gear forums banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
oh snap
Joined
·
4,241 Posts
replicas and look alikes are stupid IMO...gotta go with the real thing

but...if you dont got the cash and REALLY REALLY want the look of a certain car, then i can understand

real shelby cobras are awesome...one of my favorite cars older cars
 

·
Imperator
Joined
·
19,071 Posts
david_4x4 said:
Yup, although some of the ones that run around here are pretty quick. :smokin
Not saying they arn't quick, just saying they don't get any respect from the Shelby lovers and old school muscle car guys out there.
 

·
Screaming Koala
Joined
·
4,685 Posts
I don't know...If I had one an original one, I probably wouldn't want to take it out anywhere for fear something would happen to it.

Where as an exact copy with all the right parts I wouldn't feel bad about driving.

Then again if I could buy one, I probably would have enough money that I wouldn't care what happened.
 

·
Imperator
Joined
·
19,071 Posts
I know two people with real ones. One has an original 289 the other an original 427. They are summer cars, but both of them drive them around pretty often (about as much as I drive my Mustang Cobra) Now if you don't want to buy an original, buy a Shelby America remake. Atleast you can say you have something that is actually a Shelby. Or buy an AC, which is technically a real Cobra.
 

·
Holy ****ing Asscrackers!
Joined
·
6,721 Posts
why would only a 90-92 stang work? they were the same from 87 to 93
 

·
Imperator
Joined
·
19,071 Posts
Well, he needs the running gear and wiring harness, so something must have changed in either of those setups?
 

·
Anne Coulter's #1 Fan
Joined
·
4,291 Posts
Ya know, why not buy the kit car, save some money, do stuff yourself, and beat the pants off some jerk off who has a stock one? "No respect for kit cars" Gimme a break...
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
778 Posts
ComradeMolyneux said:
Ya know, why not buy the kit car, save some money, do stuff yourself, and beat the pants off some jerk off who has a stock one? "No respect for kit cars" Gimme a break...
I know plenty of kit cars that blow the doors off of stock models. But in the end the original car will still come out on top, with its collectibility, price, etc.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
61 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
zpyro said:
why would only a 90-92 stang work? they were the same from 87 to 93
I guess is depends on which kit you use. The 90-92 (or thereabouts) 5.0 is recommended for the Factory Five Racing kit. You can use other donors, but these years provide the maximum amount of parts for the kit. I have read that the sheet metal was so soft on original Cobras that just leaning on it would an imprint of your hand. If you put a 427 in a kit Cobra it would probably spank the original because the replica is far lighter, and has modern suspension and all. Factory Five estimates you can build their car for $18-22k. That is far cheaper than the average new car today, and certainly cheaper that the $250k original, if you can find one. Call me a poser if you like, but it's not likely that I will ever have the cash to buy an original. If I did, I would be afraid to drive it because of it's value. I have never met an original Cobra owner, so I'm not too worried that they will laugh at me. He'd stop laughing when he sees the tailights anyway! wave:
 

·
Imperator
Joined
·
19,071 Posts
A few things to remember about kit Cobra's. First there isn't to many places that will insure them and they are usually pretty tough (if not impossible) to get registered. In NJ it is almost impossible unless your engine is an original 427 or 289. Second thing is most kits are pretty poorly made and a good one will cost you around $60,000 to complete, which for another $20,000 you can have yourself an AC, which is a real Cobra or you can have a Shelby America remake for about the same. Just letting you know that Cobra kit cars are basically hated, i've been to car shows where they try not even letting the guy in and if they do they stick them in the back. (If you ever go to Lime Rock during the Rolex classic real Cobra's go with the Ferrari's and Buggatis, while kits get hidden in the back) In the long run you will lose a lot of money with a kit. Insurance will kill you and they have horrible resale value, some of them arn't even very safe (it rides horribly too, but all Cobra roadsters do). It really isn't worth it. The guys that buy those factory five kits buy them to race, they keep their real Cobra's home and race the kits, that way when they destroy them they don't really care. If you are really dead set on having one you are better off buying a slightly wrecked racer and fixing it up, it would probibly be cheaper, though good luck with the legalities.
 

·
Holy ****ing Asscrackers!
Joined
·
6,721 Posts
PaiNtBaLLeR_200 said:
wow. What is everyones problem with fixed up civic's? I truely do not understand why everyone whines and complains about them so much.
goddamnit learn the definition of rice!
 

·
Imperator
Joined
·
19,071 Posts
p-town painter said:
I have read that the sheet metal was so soft on original Cobras that just leaning on it would an imprint of your hand. If you put a 427 in a kit Cobra it would probably spank the original because the replica is far lighter, and has modern suspension and all. Factory Five estimates you can build their car for $18-22k. That is far cheaper than the average new car today, and certainly cheaper that the $250k original, if you can find one. Call me a poser if you like, but it's not likely that I will ever have the cash to buy an original. If I did, I would be afraid to drive it because of it's value. I have never met an original Cobra owner, so I'm not too worried that they will laugh at me. He'd stop laughing when he sees the tailights anyway! wave:
The sheet metal isn't soft, maybe on the daytona and other ones made for racing, but the street ones wern't. As to the replica being lighter, that depends. Cheaper kits are heavier, especially once you start putting modern rear ends and thick fiberglass in them. By the way, you would have to put some money into that 5.0 if you want to beat original shelbys. The guy I know with the 289 is making close to 400hp and the 427 makes atleast 500hp. You have a ways to go from the 225 or so hp of the 5.0.
 
1 - 20 of 28 Posts
Top