Paintball Guns and Gear forums banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
72 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just noticed this place has a car section, and with cars being my favorite hobby I thought I'd post up my toy. 1990 Firebird Formula, 305, 5-speed, t-tops, gunmetal grey. Right now mods are 14x3 open element, hypertech chip (junk I know, came with the car), 160 stat, 3" dynomax catback exhaust, edlebrock performer intake manifold, pro 5.0 shifter, MAC subframe connectors, edlebrock strut tower brace. I also have hooker 2055 headers and 3.42 posi rear waiting to be installed, after I finish swapping in my 4th gen interior.

·
Imperator
19,071 Posts
How are the T-tops? I love the look, but they always leaked like crazy. Sounds like a nice toy. thumup:

·
Imperator
19,071 Posts
I've noticed there is a lot of pony car owners on the forum. Between stangs and F-bodys we could put on quite a show. :smokin

·
Holy ****ing Asscrackers!
6,721 Posts
doomsday said:
I've noticed there is a lot of pony car owners on the forum. Between stangs and F-bodys we could put on quite a show. :smokin
Tbirds too! :p it's almost a mustang :shrug:

·
Registered
72 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I actually haven't taken her to the track so I don't have any numbers for her. She still has the junk stock heads and cam so I don't think I'd get out of the 14s without some kind of power adder and with a 160 baud ECM turbo/superchargers would be hard to do and I just don't want nitrous. She's just a weekend cruising car, I have an 02 Nissan Frontier for my daily ride. And as for the t-tops they don't leak with the subframe connectors installed, not that I let her out in the rain anyway.

·
We The People
5,925 Posts
T-tops are the glass roofs to the cars. Look at the picture and you can see a sort of 'T' (or 'H') cut out of the roof. They lock in there. Basically it's like a convertable but not to the same extent, and also provides more rigidity for racing purposes.

My Z's t-tops don't leak Dooms, is it just typical for Firebirds or t-tops in general?

-Jin

·
Imperator
19,071 Posts
It was a big problem of cars of that era and earlier, even today convertables and T-tops are leak prone, especially if you don't take good care of the seals and let them dry out or get real dirty. It is one of those hit or miss type deals, you had 3 chances basically:
1. You got one that didn't leak.
2. You got one that did.
3. You got one that didn't at first, but did later.

·
Registered
72 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
T-tops in the f-bodies leak for 2 reasons generally, the weatherstripping is shot because its old and cracked (can be easily replaced) or because of body flex. In 3rd gens GM didn't add any extra frame support to the t-top cars so the bodies were weaker structurally than a hard top, it nots that uncommon to see stress cracks in the body of these cars because of it. That problem can be prevent by welding in a set of subframe connectors which is probably the best money I spent on the car, night and day difference there.

·
Holy ****ing Asscrackers!
6,721 Posts
formula4speed said:
T-tops in the f-bodies leak for 2 reasons generally, the weatherstripping is shot because its old and cracked (can be easily replaced) or because of body flex. In 3rd gens GM didn't add any extra frame support to the t-top cars so the bodies were weaker structurally than a hard top, it nots that uncommon to see stress cracks in the body of these cars because of it. That problem can be prevent by welding in a set of subframe connectors which is probably the best money I spent on the car, night and day difference there.
yeah I know for the foxes a good set of weld-in sfc's and a strut tower brace are the two best ways to stiffen up the chassis. one mustang guy did a writeup on them and said that when he installed the stb and went to get on the freeway, he almost oversteered right into the wall on the onramp, that's how much stiffer the car was

1 - 19 of 19 Posts