Paintball Guns and Gear forums banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
teh car guy
1,292 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Picked this up a few weeks ago. But, just got over the flu, and quitting smoking is kicking my butt, so I haven't had much time to work on it yet. Paid 400 for it and here's what it includes:
-new door and hatch weatherstriping
-It has a bbk 190lb fuel pump 1yr old
-It has a 8.8 with 373 gears
-It has 16in 4lug ponys with some well used 255 50 r16mickey thompson et street drag radials on the back
-140mph speedo worked very well
-trunk mount battery kit is installed on the car
-i resently put used low mile 93 cobra rear control arms in
-it has a MAC pinion snubber installled on the car
-month old upper axle housing bushings
-rear coilover shocks

did mid 12s all day on the motor. I'm going with a basic 302 for now. Was going to go explorer heads, but didn't want to mess with that, and mid 200hp on the dyno won't cut it. So, either a trickflow top-end package, or heads of some sort, f303 cam, trickflow track heat upper/lower intakes, and 331 stroker later on. Top it off with some juice and hope for about 450+whp and mid-low 11s with some better suspension work

After all said and done, I want this look:

I'm still up in the air for motor suggestions. Obviously going 5.0, but with what setup is what I'm looking into. I've been thinking edelbrock top-end kit, or doing my own heads, cam, and other goodies. But, for that same price, I could do a mild cam, and a paxton s/c for around the same price. I love the sound of an all-motor v8, but that s/c whine sounds like sex

·
I'mma Let You Finish.
7,445 Posts
I don't really like the look of mustangs. But when they are all prettied up like that bottom picture it looks pretty hott.

I'm no car guy. Didn't understand a lick of what you said but I do like the look you're going for.

Wes.

·
King of the Fuster Cluck
2,064 Posts
i disagree......gt body ftw

·
Xplicit Eg06
4,567 Posts
Well I deserve a spot in any thread in reference to Fox bodies.

One look I loved was the LX body with a Saleen front bumper. Little known fact: The LX was faster than the GT side by side. All the extra panels were very un-aerodynamic. Let me know if you need any help with parts or whatnot. My advice is Trickflow everything, or AFR heads will give you just a touch more headroom. Going to spray the motor?

·
Registered
967 Posts

One look I loved was the LX body with a Saleen front bumper. Little known fact: The LX was faster than the GT side by side. All the extra panels were very un-aerodynamic. Let me know if you need any help with parts or whatnot. My advice is Trickflow everything, or AFR heads will give you just a touch more headroom. Going to spray the motor?
It wasn't really the Aerodynamics at all, it was the weight difference.

·
teh car guy
1,292 Posts
Discussion Starter #10

Possibly, but I don't know yet. I dunno whether I want an all-motor setup with some giggle gas, or do a mild 302 with a cam, and add a s/c. I've seen them going for pretty cheap lately. Either way, both will produce similar numbers, but the gas will help out. I've been looking at the edelbrock top end kit lately. Trick flow is good stuff, but I dunno-almost seems like I'm buying it for the name.

I do know that the car will begin life with a meager 302 that will increase to a 331. I'm still researching, but what do you suggest for a build rb?

·
teh car guy
1,292 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
For a 331 build, or for a build in general?

I'm open to all suggestions. I went with a 331 because I could eek out a few more revs with that motor. My buddy has a 306 that pulls all the way to 7500, so I need some ummmph to keep up with him. Plus, if I spray, he'll return the favor. It's like an epic never ending battle between good and evil where there is no clear winner, haha

·
Xplicit Eg06
4,567 Posts
Damn. My motor can run to 8k but I never take it over 6.5k. If you want to go 331, do it. Get a stroker crank, and run .20 or .30 over pistons, take the block to a machine shop (or do it yourself if you want/can) and it will be like a brand new motor. I'm going to be running Heads/Cam/Intake/Exhaust setup. Trickflow TW heads, TW intake, I have a Lunati Roller that I had custom ground for my combo. It's got a super mean idle for an EFI car and it has a great powerband. IMHO the cam was worth it over a normal E303 or F303. I have a ton more USABLE power with the Lunati than I did with my E303 and my valve tolerances were pretty tight with my F303. I liked my srtoker motor but after I blew **** up I am running .30 over with a stock stroke forged crank. Should be able to tolerate over 600 flywheel HP and be a bullet proof setup.

I can send you my Cam specs if you want. Lunati has a roller pretty close to what mine is, but I have just a little bit more lift and duration than their off the shelf unit.

·
teh car guy
1,292 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
yea, his build is pretty sick. Car pulls hard all the way up there. He knows efi tuning, but he had some problems past 6k with fuel and timing. We got it figured out and its wicked.

I've been leaning away from the ford racing cams and have started looking at the lunatis. Honestly, I know a few people with the ford racing ones and weren't impressed. Don't get me wrong-they are a great cam, but there is better to be had out there. I've looked into the trickflow heads, but Im researching patriot's "budget" heads. I'm wanting something that will wrap out to about 7k and still make power up top. I'm thinking about having brian crower do me a custom grind for my setup as well. He's started doing custom grinds for tibbys, and those were putting down respectable numbers. I went from my expensive stage iv intake manifold on my tib to a set of cams from him, and they were great. I might see what he'd say about a grind.

I've been looking at stroker kit from ford strokers, but I found a kit on ebay for half the price, but I dunno if I trust it. My main concern would be rods, but they should be good up to about 450hp, right?

·
Xplicit Eg06
4,567 Posts
Rods should be good for a RELIABLE 400, but I wouldn't push it a whole lot past there based on longevity. I would be wary about the ebay kits. I've seen wrist pins lay across the dyno room floor from some of the Ebay specials. I like the Lunati myself, but Crower is doing great things too. Patriot makes some great heads too, but ask around about their top end flow rates.

·
teh car guy
1,292 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
finally found a motor that's local. Should look at it sometime this week. Low miles, no smoke or anything like that.

BTW, RB, buddy has a set of gt40x heads for sale for 300-swipe 'em up or no?

·
teh car guy
1,292 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
I would if they are assembled and look alright. I wouldn't use them, but I would turn around and re-sell them.

they're assembled, but I'm not gonna go for them. Too much of a gamble to re-sell them.

·
teh car guy
1,292 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
well, found an aod tranny with shift kit for 75 bucks in my small town. Guy just wants it outta his garage. I'd rather have a manual, but I can have this tranny nicely built for next to nothing since my buddy had his friend build one for five hundred I believe, and that thing holds up to a lot.

I have a manual dd, but I want a manual stang as well.

RB, can you get trans brakes for the aod trans?

1 - 20 of 28 Posts