Paintball Guns and Gear forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
3,524 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Where should I get a new one?
Im thinking best buy and getting the extended service plan and paying the laptop off a bit each month.

·
Erect member.
2,323 Posts
if nothing else is broken, it is possible to get new motherboards for laptops. if you are buying a new one, i suggest either checking best buy, *staples*, and/or walmart. also look at places like sam's club and costco. If you don't need it immediately, i'd go on manufacture sites like dell, hp, toshiba, etc. hp and dell can make them custom, costs a little more but you get exactly what you want (and sometimes you can save money by buying an "older" series of laptops and maxing out its stats.)

Edit:good call jin, forgot all about newegg. tigerdirect is ok too, as is zipzoomfly.

·
Registered
3,524 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
im going to definatly shop around, but i need to replace it quick. views on Acer?

***also i really want to be able to make payments for it, will newegg do that?

·
Registered
3,524 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I just got off the phone with a friend who works at geek squad. he says the current gateway notebooks are very good, told me to stay away from anything other then toshiba, gateway, or sony. he says gateway is spending tons of money right now to get they're name wide spread again and not associated as crap like hp did, once that happens they'll start making **** again.

·
Erect member.
2,323 Posts
hp's are good...i have mine, the only complaint i have with it is that they put 10gb of hard drive space as a recovery. other than that, it was a great deal at staples, Turion x2 1.8 ghz processor, 2 gigs of ram, 160 gig hard drive (150+10gig recovery, which i wiped out anyways :)) wireless b/g, nice touchpad/keyboard, and really, really nice touch sensitive media controls above the keyboard. 15.4 inch screen (1280x800) and an nvidia geforce go 6150. got it at staples for $850, which is a hell of a deal.

Edit: and to save yourself some major moolah if you are "building" one through a dealer's website (or even buying a preconfigured one), you can skimp on the hard disk space and memory. if you buy a 40 gig, 512 ram laptop, and then buy third party memory and hard drives, you can save some $$$$

·
Registered
3,524 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
gonna get a best buy credit card and pay it with that then pay little each month if i pay it off in 6 months its zero interest. also going to get the one or two year service plan.

·
Registered
3,524 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Little change of plan. One of my managers used to be the head of geek squad, he said buy in the 600-900 range, and get a one year extended warranty. He also said toshiba and sony are the best rated, so im going with one of them.

I was talking to my mom about how im going to pay for it, she says to pay for as much as i can cash and the rest on best buy credit. Sounds good to me. Im getting $1030.00 direct deposit from work tomorrow. 181 hours in 2 weeks ftw!

·
Registered
3,524 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Specs:
#
Warranty Terms - Parts
1 year limited
#
Warranty Terms - Labor
1 years limited
#
Product Height
1.5"
#
Product Width
13.1"
#
Product Weight
5.5 lbs.
#
Product Depth
9.3"
#
Processor Brand
Intel®
#
Processor Platform
Enhanced Intel® Centrino® Duo
#
Processor
Intel® Core(TM)2 Duo Mobile
#
Processor Speed
1.5GHz
#
Display Type
WXGA high-definition widescreen with BrightView technology (1280 x 800)
#
Screen Size
14.1"
#
System Bus
667MHz
#
Cache Memory
2MB on die Level 2
#
System Memory (RAM)
2GB
#
System Memory (RAM) Expandable To
4GB
#
Type of Memory (RAM)
DDR2
#
Hard Drive Type
SATA (5400 rpm)
#
Hard Drive Size
250GB
#
Optical Drive
Double-layer DVD±RW/CD-RW
#
Optical Drive Speeds
Drive speeds not available
#
Direct-Disc Labeling
Yes
#
Digital Media Reader or Slots
Yes, digital media card reader
#
Graphics
Intel Graphics Media Accelerator X3100
#
Video Memory
Up to 384MB (shared)
#
Personal Video Recorder (PVR)
No
#
TV Tuner
No
#
MPEG
Yes
#
Modem
56 Kbps*
*Capable of receiving 56 Kbps downloads. However, current regulations limit download speed to 53 Kbps.
#
Networking
Built-in 10/100Base-T Ethernet LAN (RJ-45 connector)
#
Wireless Networking
Built-in Intel® PRO/Wireless 3945ABG network connection (802.11a/b/g)
#
S-Video Outputs
#
Speakers
Built-in Altec Lansing
#
PCMCIA Slots
1 ExpressCard/34/54
#
USB 2.0 Ports
#
IEEE 1394 FireWire Ports
#
Parallel Ports
None
#
Serial Ports
None
#
Game Ports
None
#
Notebook Weight
Thin and light (4.5 to 6 lbs.)
#
Battery Type
High-capacity lithium-ion (12-cell)
#
Pointing Device
Touchpad with on/off and dedicated vertical scroll up/down pad
#
Operating System
Windows Vista Home Premium
#
Included Software
HP PhotoSmart Essentials; muvee autoProducer DVD Edition with Burning; Roxio DigitalMedia Plus and more
#
Included Accessories
HP mobile remote; mobile stereo ear bud headphones

1 - 14 of 14 Posts