Paintball Guns and Gear forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Imperator
19,071 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was going to go crazy with watercooling, triple video cards, ect....but I figure it won't be that long before new crazy stuff comes out and I don't feel like spending crazy money right now. I'm going with mostly top end and not heavily outdated stuff, but nothing too crazy. I figure I can just update the processor and GPU's once new ones come out or the faster ones get cheaper. Anyway:

GMC Mid-tower case with side/front usb and audio jacks
THERMALTAKE 600W Power Supply (Crossfire supported)
INTEL DX58SO motherboard (Crossfire supported)
INTEL CORE I7 920 2.66GHZ Processor
8GB DDR3 1333MHZ Memory
Dual Radeon HD 4850 512MB VIDEO CARDS (Crossfire setup)
LG Blue-ray burner SATA 4X BD / 20X DVD
Dual 500GB SATA 7200RPM Hard drives - (Raid 1 mirror)
Linksys WMP54GS wireless network adapter

Samsung 24" widescreen LCD Monitor

A buddy of mine has accounts with a few of these companies, so I'm getting a pretty good deal on their stuff. In case you were wondering, I'm putting a raid 1 setup in it because it's also my business computer, so I want the data security. OS will be Vista Ultimate, and the keyboard/mouse I've already got.

Nothing crazy, but I want everything to be somewhat up to date. Main uses are general office apps/web browsing, light gaming, photo editing, and occasional video editing/watching/burning.:)

Whatcha think?

·
Imperator
19,071 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Mr moneybags huh? And you mean Vista Ultimate 64-bit right? ;) Damn, if girls liked rigs you'd be PIMPIN'!
lol, it shouldn't be too expensive. I figured on spending about ~$2,000 before the monitor and that's roughly what it works out to be.

I've gotten tired of having computers that become totally outdated in a year, so I started by looking at what the mainstream manufacturers are selling now and decided to go one step above. Basically, I wanted a setup that used the latest processor socket, supported Crossfire for the latest GPU's, had a Blu-ray burner/player in case everything starts going to Blu-ray, and I wanted Raid 1 with a reasonable memory size so I don't have to worry running out of memory or losing what I have saved.

I figure this will be the last computer I buy until I'm done with college and have found myself a solid job, which I figure won't be for another two years minimum.

·
Registered
11,482 Posts
I don't feel like spending crazy money right now.
Says the guy building a i7 setup. :dodgy: I'm jealous, you picked a good time to jump in. I'm waiting till I've got a bit more cash and the next rollout of i7 chips comes out. That should be a nicely future proofed computer. All I have to say is instead of running crossfire'd 4850s you might want to look at a 4870 or the 4870x2. Crossfire isn't going to give double the performance, more like 1.6x the performance.

·
Imperator
19,071 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Says the guy building a i7 setup. :dodgy: I'm jealous, you picked a good time to jump in. I'm waiting till I've got a bit more cash and the next rollout of i7 chips comes out. That should be a nicely future proofed computer. All I have to say is instead of running crossfire'd 4850s you might want to look at a 4870 or the 4870x2. Crossfire isn't going to give double the performance, more like 1.6x the performance.
I was going to go with one 4870, but my buddy had two 4850's left over from a job he did for Rutgers, so he said he can give them to me at reduced cost. I figure they'll still be plenty fast for anything I'm doing.

with all that bling why didn't you get a Wireless-N adapter?
It's the same with the wireless adapter, he had one left over, so he can give it to me for next to nothing. It will work fine for me anyway, as my house and school are both on G and only my apartment is on N (which is backwards compatible with G anyway). That's pretty easy to switch out in the future anyway if I want.

This computer will pretty much become my entertainment system as well. I'll end up hooking it up to my surround sound and to my HDTV. Should work out well for watching blu-rays and listening to my music.:)

·
Imperator
19,071 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Okey dokey, here is the final specs:

Mid-tower case with side/front usb and audio jacks
Internal Media Card Reader
Thermaltake 600W Power Supply (Crossfire supported)
Intel DX58SO motherboard (Crossfire supported)
Intel CORE I7 920 2.66GHZ Processor
6GB DDR3 1333MHZ Memory triple channel
Radeon HD 4870 x2 1GB video card
LG Blue-ray Burner SATA 4X BD / 20X DVD
Dual WD 500GB SATA 7200RPM Hard drives - (Raid 1 mirror)
Linksys WMP110 wireless-N network adapter

Samsung 24" widescreen LCD Monitor

A few little changes, but it still falls under the $3,000 I was looking on spending, and it should still be able to do everything I could want and more. I dropped the crossfire setup for now, but I figure I can always buy a faster processor and second 4870 x2 when I feel like spending a bit more money.:)

The only thing that sucks is I'm still waiting for some of the stuff to come in, so it doesn't look like it's going together totally until after the start of the new year.

·
Imperator
19,071 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Picked up a new Keyboard and Mouse for my build today. Razor Lachesis and Lycosa, both are awesome.:tup

1 - 11 of 11 Posts