5,925 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I bought a server off of eBay.

Click here.

IBM xSeries 350
Quad P3 Xeon 700Mhz processors
2GB PC100 server memory
No current hard drives

I was hoping to nab it for $9.99, but $80 isn't bad for this. Best part is it's local, so that $80 for shipping becomes $0.

It's a "business expense". I'm planning on using it for file storage for the business, possibly a web server (bandwidth is a big issue though), music & video storage, fun stuff like that. For $80, why not?

-Jin

·
Registered
2,162 Posts
pretty cool, for $80 you can buy a pretty big hard drive for storage, which is probably what id do, but that thing looks like a beast. i dont have nearly any knowledge about its pros/cons so ill keep my mouth shut and say nicethumup:

·
We The People
5,925 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Yeah, $80 can get you a really nice hard drive, which for most people is enough.

If you think about it though, I essentially bought an entire computer for $80. Not just any computer though, it's basically a 2.8Ghz CPU with 2GB of RAM. For $80. Sounds like a deal to me! thumup:

The reason why people use servers rather than just a hard drive or a separate computer is the same reason why you don't buy a car for most off-roading. Sure a car can get you from A to B. But if you're going over lots of mud or rocks or whatever, the proper vehicle for the job is a truck. Servers are usually made to last longer and be of a higher quality (reduce down time and disk failure), and the quad processors is excellent for serving multiple things at the same time.

As I said, most people are fine without a server. But for $80 it's cool to have, and I'm a huge computer nerd, so why not? :tup

-Jin

·
Registered
189 Posts
so can u make like a counter strike server with this?

·
Registered
189 Posts
yes but one that can handle like 20+ people with minium lagg

·
Registered
189 Posts
how would i gain more bandwidth so i can host a server with minimum lagg?

·
Ðèm-öñ(Pòp)tårt
1,469 Posts
are you only going to put a single hard drive in it? i'm sure you can use your current drive as a slave or something at least...

·
Registered
580 Posts
Jinjiro, is that the Fujitsu drives?

I have seen a few Fujitsu drives that spin at 15k rpm with 8mb of cache that are EIDE. Only saw them once tho for about 1 grand per 36gb drive.

One thing I recommend if you want a massive server. Call dell and buy 10 of there systems and set up Red Hat Linux as you can cluster servers together. Works way better.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts