Paintball Guns and Gear forums banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 94 Posts

·
12,110 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So we're studying on Darwin right now in school, and I never really udnerstood his theory on evolution, mainly ebecuase before htey just said "DArwin invented evolution" and left it at that in our textbooks...

In case your a freshie adn dont take bio yet, or just dont know, evolution is caused by natural selection. Giraffes for example.

A schmillion years ago giraffes had short and long necks. But we know those african trees are hella tall. The short ones couldnt' reach all the food, so they started dieing, and the allele(the gene for a trait) for tall necks was passed on more and more. Reason is the long necks sexed more and lived longer and everything.

Anyways, imagine what life will be like in say, 1000 years. Its pretty impossible for a new species to form in 1000 years without mass mutations, but we might see different diseases and resistances to certain illnesses.

Malaria is way common in Africa, but those who are homozygotes for sickle cell anemia are almost resistant to it.

But in the US Malaria, as well as Sickle cell is almost nonexistant.

I jsut find all that stuff really interested.

Kinda weird for someone who salivates when a cop walks by with a colt 45 holstered (over teh 1911 not the cop)

·
Registered
849 Posts
yea
evolution

it was my fav. part of bio . .. . punnet squares and such

except there wasnt really long and short necked
there was just short necked
and the hella tall trees were shrubs

the shrubs that were taller lasted longer (cuz wasnt eaten as much) so it passed along the tall gene

there was variation in the height and lenghth of the giraffes but similar
the ones who had longer necks would be able to eat more than smaller necks, cuz the smaller shrubs were dying out

the trees grew taller and taller and the giraffes followed

variation is the root of evolution
the diff heights of the shurb bushes was a variation
the diff heights and neck length of giraffes was a variation

·
Registered
69 Posts
Evolution is so stupid.

No one has ever seen an animal produce another spiecies.

No one has ever explained where the speck of dust came from that started the big bang.

No one has explained how natural elements like the laws of gravity, friction,inertia, "evolved"

Evolution (if true) justifies racism.

Don't believe a word of what they say,it is all a load of bullcrap.

·
Registered
967 Posts
thesnipingmoose said:
Evolution is so stupid.

No one has ever explained where the speck of dust came from that started the big bang.

No one has explained how natural elements like the laws of gravity, friction,inertia, "evolved"

amen

·
Registered
849 Posts
thesnipingmoose said:
when ppl talk about evolution . . . . they dont talk about it happening overnight it takes hundreds of thousands of years

thesnipingmoose said:
No one has explained how natural elements like the laws of gravity, friction,inertia, "evolved".
alpha was talking about animals. about how genes and stuff come into play

thesnipingmoose said:
Evolution (if true) justifies racism..

Don't believe a word of what they say,it is all a load of bullcrap
im beginning to think your post is a joke

·
That's Hot
3,914 Posts
thesnipingmoose said:
Evolution is so stupid.

I agree with you, but you put it quite bluntly. Works, though.

And I never thought of your last point, how it justifies racism. I've never seen it like that, good point!

As for your first point, evolution is supposed to take place over millions of years. It's not like you're gonna be in the zoo and all of a sudden a pregnant rhino is gonna plop out something that resembles a pokemon. Subtle changes over millions of years in many areas of an organism's behavior/body are what create distinct species over time.

If only you guys were there when I had a discussion with the atheist that lives next door to me in the dorms a few months ago. We got deep, WAAAAY deep, into how evolutionary theories work or rather, don't work. I busted out stuff on evolutionary psychology and other obscure concepts that really are the make-or-break zones of evolutionary theories. And even he admits that my points easily beat anything he had in mind.

And this guys is freakin smart, he does his research and is intelligent in all kinds of other things. Not trivia, but really smart and thinks about it often.

If only. Crap, where are tape recorders when you need them.

·
I was saving that bacon
7,177 Posts
I dont really think evolution is true, but think about the past hundreds of years. Has anything changed? not really.

But anyway, kinda off subject and trying not to get anything started. Like people saying god created life. They say that is crazy and impossible. But if you think about evolution... is it really that crazy?

·
That's Hot
3,914 Posts
IMO if people think that every living creature on this earth came about by chance, how is it "absurd" that a Deity planned out and created all life? They're equally outlandish concepts, just because people believe in one side doesn't mean the other side is wrong automatically.

It's just a matter of which explanation for life on earth suits your tastes. There are many out there, and your belief in one theory doesn't mean the others can't be right. People by nature feel that they are right and don't like to be told they are wrong, we all face that and that holds true when people discuss this topic.

·
Superdeeduper Admin Type
17,772 Posts
Um.. just be carefull. This will NOT take on the discussion of Creationism vs. Evolution.

There are very specific reasons we don't talk religion on PBF. Just trust me on this one.

And Toxic... "hundreds of years??" If the evlolutionary THEORY is to be true at all, we are talking epocs of time, not a piddly multiple hundreds of years..

But for the sake of argument -- has anyone actually read "Origens of the Species" By Darwin? It is a fascinating THEORY attempting to explain observerations on the diversity of species. However, it is not a testable hypothesis, so is it true/correct? There is really no way to find out. I tend to think that it explains a number of ideas very well, but I am in no means smart enough to discount or corroborate Darwin's theory.

·
Registered
967 Posts
okay...say evolution was tru...then where did the big bang come from...and if you tell me particles of dust your ganna have to tell me where they came from...point is something had to start everything...and that something is GOD...and you can argue with me all i want because when i die i know exactly where im going and thats heaven... and christianity has more proof than any other religion and that is the bible which has been proven time and again to not have ANY faults at all, hundreds of people have tried to prove the bible wrong but they cant... especially with huge facts like the arc and the sea scrolls

lol wow sorry for the rambling just had to say it

·
Registered
849 Posts
evolution does not justify racism

everyone was black and from africa

EVOLUTION has turned ppl white

in one of my classes last semester (comp. civ.) we had a unit about how africa was full of forest, we were apes at the time (ever heard of the skeleton 'lucy'?)
huge mountains grew, blocked a lot of rain from getting to africa
after a while, the forsest turned to a lot of desert
except once a year when the monsoon season happens

no trees > we learned to walk

from evolution, if we didnt need things (like we didnt need tails anymore) they reduced in size usually, cuz its easier for body to NOT take care of body part u dont need (part of evolution) thats why we have tailbones , but no tails

·
I was saving that bacon
7,177 Posts
Do any of you know how Darwin actually thought after people started believing the evolution theory??? he was actually shocked and suprised people actually believed what he said. You wont find that in the history books. But try to find some of his old Diary stuff.

·
I was saving that bacon
7,177 Posts
True. thats why i think its hard for people to believe that, as seeing he didnt really believe himself.

·
That's Hot
3,914 Posts
N8ive_Snoborder said:
evolution does not justify racism

everyone was black and from africa

EVOLUTION has turned ppl white

That's supporting racism because it's stating that being white has some advantage over being black. Which means white people are better than blacks, since they are "stuck in the past" in a sense.

It makes sense.

·
Registered
849 Posts
DuoDSG said:
That's supporting racism because it's stating that being white has some advantage over being black. Which means white people are better than blacks, since they are "stuck in the past" in a sense.

It makes sense.

white people are better than blacks when they are put in a certain environment ie. europe

asian ppl are darker than white people . .. because it is an advantage from where they are demographically

native people > same thing

in africa, it is easier to survive if you are black than white or purple or orange or something

have you noticed that a lot of the sports are dominated by black people?

that is because when the black people were brought over here, the STRONGEST were picked out, and brought here
then, after a few generations, pretty much all of them (hate the word 'them', like a generalization, sorry if i offend anyone) were stronger than most

it was kind of like a really quick evolution to a better species

NOW . .. . people who can trace their ancestors to being slaves, tend to be more athletic or w/e

so some black people have an advantage over some white people :p

·
Anne Coulter's #1 Fan
4,291 Posts
thesnipingmoose said:
Evolution is so stupid.

Would you like me to belive "god" made all that stuff?

1 - 20 of 94 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.