Paintball Guns and Gear forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Administrator
23,657 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Occasionayl, when I start my car, there's a very loud squeal that last a minuter(never moe) unless i turn off my car and restart it, then it doens't happen the second time.

Obvously the first thing that comes to mind is the belt. especially sinc i took it off and put it back on(because i bought the wrong size to replace it and dind't have time to trade it back)

But I got to thinking it could be a pump that the belt runs. Maybe I have a pump siezing up on me? Iif so what's the best way to determine which one is going bad?

·
Registered
1,161 Posts
if the squel eventually goes away, then its not a pump.

Actually its not a pump itself usually, its the bearings for the pulley. This usually makes more of a growl sound.

but a squel is usually the belt.

I HOPE you DIDNT put "belt dressing" on it, if you did u might as well go buy another belt.

go find a bar of soap. Start the car, push the bar of soap up against the belt, if its the belt, that will shut it up. just watch ur fingers

·
Administrator
23,657 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
no we dind't put anything on the belt before we put it back on. what's belt dressing supposed to do?

and do i put the soap on the outside or the inside of the belt?
actually, I'm interested in what's causing it to squeal. do you know?

·
Registered
1,161 Posts
sometimes belts just like to squel

as far as the soap goes, just do one side, listen if it stops, if not try the other side, if its still making noise i can guarantee you its not the belt.

if u got a digital camera or something post a clip of it with sound

·
Administrator
23,657 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
alright I'll see waht I can do.

basically this will hold me over till 2 weekdns from now when I can go home and get a new belt. this belt is sorta getting old and worn out.

·
Holy ****ing Asscrackers!
6,721 Posts
belt dressing just makes the belt shutup for a short while

I remember on my neon the belts were squealing like a mofo. turns out the lock bolt (or nut, can't remember) for the tensioner was gone. just non-existant. so the belt wouldn't stay tight for very long. there was dressing all over the damned place lol

·
Taking Back Control
2,191 Posts
haha, its not the power steering pump is it? i love when ppl do that. they crank the steering as hard as they can, and the pump SCREAMS. I feel bad for the poor poor steering system tho...

·
Administrator
23,657 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
crustybug said:
haha, its not the power steering pump is it? i love when ppl do that. they crank the steering as hard as they can, and the pump SCREAMS. I feel bad for the poor poor steering system tho...
uh no. I know what you're talking about though, it's quite funny.

·
Registered
1,161 Posts
bar of soap FTW!

seriously its an old mechanics trick, im not making stuff up

1 - 12 of 12 Posts