Paintball Guns and Gear forums banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Taking Back Control
2,191 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys, long time no see...

Since my computer troubles are now over thanks to my brand spankin new hardcore walmart gaming machine Emachines W3650, I need to pick up a relatively okay graphics card for it. I'm not pushing hardcore games, only running the celeron 440 processor, and I just need something with enough juice to run battlefield. GeForce preferably. anyone know how hard it is to overclock these processors too? I was going to throw in an extra PC fan and maybe a new heat sink as well, just curious.

Thanks

·
We The People
5,925 Posts
Well I just checked, and you have a PCI-Express slot, so you have a lot of options. Depending on what you want to spend, there are several great cards for your money. TomsHardware.com does a monthly comparison that shows you your best bang for the buck.

Here it is for December:
$60: Radeon HD 4650
$80: Radeon HD 4670 GDDR3 or the GeForce 9600 GSO
$95: Radeon HD 3870 or the GeForce 9600 GT
$120: Radeon HD 4830 or the GeForce 9800 GT 512 MB

According to TomsHardware.com, the GeForce 9800 GT 512 is the equivalent of the 8800 GT 512, which is the card I have. It's an AWESOME card, especially for the price. I bought mine a few months ago for $180, and apparently it's down to ~$120 now. That is a monster card for the price. Granted I have 2GB of RAM (you have 1GB) and I have a Core 2 Duo E8400 at 3.0GHz (you have a 2.0GHz Celeron :(), but I can easily play Fallout 3, Far Cry 2, CoD4, etc.

As far as overclocking goes, the 8800GT/9800GT can be overclocked quite well, but if you want to go this route I suggest buying one of the pre-overclocked cards from a reputable manufacturer (this is what I did), so that you don't void your warranty.

PC fans are cheap on NewEgg, look for the best reviews. I'm assuming you meant for the case. As for the heatsink - did you mean for the CPU, or for the video card? If for the video card, don't worry about it, the 8800GT/9800GT comes with a good stock one. If for your CPU, go on NewEgg and look for the highest ratings.

-Jin

·
Taking Back Control
2,191 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
60 dollar graphics card would work just fine. I was thinkin about bumping up the processor in a few months too, but you think the 350 watt power supply will support a dual core processor with another gig of ram?

·
We The People
5,925 Posts
Maybe. You may be pushing it with just a video card - 350W is pretty low.

Search Google for a power supply calculator. You select the devices your computer has, and it will tell you what size power supply you need. This will give you a rough estimate to go buy. I've got a 650W in mine, which is plenty for my application. Some people go overboard and buy a 750W, 850W, or even 1000W power supply when they really only need 500-600 watts. It's a waste of money. Use the calculator and go from there.

-Jin

·
Registered
11,482 Posts
60 dollar graphics card would work just fine. I was thinkin about bumping up the processor in a few months too, but you think the 350 watt power supply will support a dual core processor with another gig of ram?
depends on the processor and its clock speeds. Also the bios of that emachine may not let you drop in a different chip.

·
Registered
275 Posts
If you still have time, you should return the e machines computer and build one yourself, or get a friend to build one, you could easily make a pretty good rig or at least better than the e machine computer for less

·
I'mma Let You Finish.
7,445 Posts
I'm bout to up my gpu as well. my fan went out on mine. I was originally going to replace it but I've decided to stop being cheap and go ahead and get me an HD card so I can watch some siq HD movies and play WoW with a breeze.

Need to check my power supply as well.

wes.

·
Taking Back Control
2,191 Posts
1 - 18 of 18 Posts