Paintball Guns and Gear forums banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey folks. I went out and played paintball for the first time yesterday and had an absolute blast. I can predict that there will most definitely be a lot more paintballing in my future. My one complaint I had was that the rental mask I was wearing all day was continually fogging up on me. I don't know the exact model of the mask but I do know that it was a v Force of some type. It was also a bit tight on my face, even though I had it adjusted as big as I could get it. I'm sure that rental markers will serve me well for quite a while but I do know that I would like to get my own mask before I go out and play again. I will be playing only woodsball, hopefully at least a couple of times a month.

I have been doing some research on several websites/forums and have my choices narrowed down to the following:

VForce Grill
VForce Profiler
JT Spectra Flex 8
Dye Invision I3 Pro

I am sort of leaning towards the Dye I3 at the moment because of the soft ears and the option to perhaps add the fan at a later date if I like but I wanted to ask you experts what you thought. I have no problem paying top dollar for a great mask that will provide good protection without fogging up on me. In my research, I have read that no mask is really fog proof, and I fully understand that.

If I have left out possibilities from this list that you guys think I should also check out, please let me know.

I appreciate your input.
-Chris

·
I was saving that bacon
7,177 Posts
I can vouch for the dye masks, they are great. I have never had any problems with mine. I have never tried the others though.

·
Registered
6,346 Posts
Grillz are your friend, imo best mask out there. I have had nothing BUT problems with dye masks, mainly just fogging before I even started sweating or breathing heavily, and there field of view is nothing like my profilers.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Well, I ended up going with the Dye mask and I got to try it out for the first time today. It did fog up on me, but only during one out of the 12 or 15 games we played. It is quite comfortable to wear, although I was getting a headache from it towards the end of the day, but I'm guessing any mask would do that, considering it's applying constant pressure to your head all day. The last game we played, I took a shot directly between the eyes and the mask held up nicely. I really have nothing bad to say about the Pro i3 as far as wearing it goes.

Now the bad part. I just finished taking the thing apart so I could clean it up and I do believe that I may have invented some new cuss words. During my research that I did before deciding which mask to get, I read in several places that this mask is "difficult" to take apart. This is indeed an understatement. The documentation was severely lacking and I'm sure that being a noob didn't exactly help much. You practically have to tear this mask apart with your bare hands, twisting and pulling to the point where you think you're going to break the thing. I don't want to even think about how I'm going to get the thing back together but I'm guessing that I'll have to wait for the cuts, scrapes and bruises on my fingers to heal first before I even think about tackling that project. I would love to see Dye put up a video on their website showing someone taking the thing apart and changing the lens or something. Do they honestly think this is OK? This is my first mask, so I'm not sure if this is normal or not, so maybe I'm making too big a deal of it. Perhaps I'll get to used to the process and maybe next time I can take it apart in less than an hour.

I am still happy with my decision to get the Pro i3, but I have learned to pay more attention to what I read online in these forums and others like them.

Thanks for listening to me vent.
-Chris

·
Registered
6,346 Posts
You got a headache from your mask? That's unheard of.

·
Thats "Chief" to you...
1,671 Posts
should have got a ventz. I can have mine apart and back together again in less than a minute. I have that and a proflex and it really just depends on what kind of mood I'm in to which one I wear, but the ventz are definately easier to take apart.

·
Registered
6,346 Posts
Proflexes are the ****, just some of them are not worth the prices on them(though they can come with some sexytime straps).

·
Thats "Chief" to you...
1,671 Posts
one of the screws on my soft ears fell out last night...gonna hafta zip-tie it :D but otherwise, damn that thing is light.

·
Premium Member
23,657 Posts
one of the screws on my soft ears fell out last night...gonna hafta zip-tie it :D but otherwise, damn that thing is light.
That the best part about spectras and the like. I actualyl found a bolt and screw that fits the hole. I lock-tited it in and never had a problem since.

·
Registered
147 Posts
I'm gonna be looking into some Profiler's when I get some money. I think the black/white ones. They look quite smexy.

·
Registered
6,346 Posts
V-Force, Ventz, and JT are your friends in the world of masks
For the most part. The JT wally world masks/protius and such are really crappy masks. As long is it says flex in the name you are good.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Thanks for the info. It's prolly too late now to get a new mask at this point and honestly I'm really happy with the Dye aside from removing the lens. I guess I'll just have to be careful not to get any paint on it in the future so that I'll never have to take it apart again, right? :)

I still think the Pro i3 is the coolest looking mask out there. My opinion of course, but I am very happy with it.

Now it's time to start thinking about my first marker.........

Thanks again!
-Chris

1 - 16 of 16 Posts