Paintball Guns and Gear forums banner

1 - 20 of 39 Posts

·
Registered
599 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm doing a "position paper" on the death penalty. I have more than enough reasons to support it, but need some for against it. I'm not starting a controversial thread. I just need some reasons to be against it. Thanks!

·
Registered
4,186 Posts
Giving someone the death penalty can be seen as lowering your self to the inmates level, also some inamtes would rather have death then life in prison, so they are kinda 'getting off eaasy'

·
Registered
599 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
not to be an ass, but I highly doubt that an inmate would prefer death over this:

Free home (cell)
3 meals a day for free
cable tv for free
All clothes for free
library for free
workout area for free
no utilities to pay for
no taxes
no worries

This may seem like I'm trying to shut you down, but I'm just saying that most people would prefer to have everything provided for than be put to death. You make a good point and I might rephrase your suggestion a little bit. Thanks.

·
Registered
4,186 Posts
You make a good argument, but most inamtes up for the death penalty have done some thing really bad, so they wont have all those ammenities(sp).

Think of it like this, a serial killer either has the option of
A) Solitary confinement for life
B) Death penalty

First off to be a serial killer, youve gotta be a little messed up in the head, some people might prefer deathy then the alternative.

·
¡Viva La Rob!
6,076 Posts
yeah well yuo forget the mental part of the entire ordeal. people make prison out to be this "not so bad thing" like you get a free home and food.. wow big deal, id trade any form of shelter for not getting raped in the ass, beat up by prison guards, an endless life of solitude, and other life-fufilling things. thats the worst logic to use, that its "not so bad - look what they get." thats bs.

against death penalty? well the US is one of the largest nations in the world that still hasnt banned it. constitutionally, it could be argued that its cruel and unusual punishment (the process of which the execution is taken place).

morally, some people feel that its contradictory - killing someone for having killed someone? others feel its just outright wrong to kill a person for any reason.

people, especially here int he US live in a civilized society. you can go back to ancient times - people were still using the death penalty. i personally have viewed that its juts an outdated, uncivilized way of prosecuting a person. perhaps its our judicial system that is the real problem. lawyers and suspects get off too easily - i think its time that the US judicial system is reformed so that the death penalty would be rendered useless.

·
Anne Coulter's #1 Fan
4,291 Posts
PoisonMushroom said:
not to be an ass, but I highly doubt that an inmate would prefer death over this:

Free home (cell)
3 meals a day for free
cable tv for free
All clothes for free
library for free
workout area for free
no utilities to pay for
no taxes
no worries

This may seem like I'm trying to shut you down, but I'm just saying that most people would prefer to have everything provided for than be put to death. You make a good point and I might rephrase your suggestion a little bit. Thanks.

You make life in prison seem to nice. Don't you ever watch those A&E specials about Max. Sec. Prisons?

·
ABCDEFGHIJKLMNOPQRSTFU
5,450 Posts
PoisonMushroom said:

Free home (cell)
3 meals a day for free
cable tv for free
All clothes for free
library for free
workout area for free
no utilities to pay for
no taxes
no worries

While they may have those good things in prison, there is also an abundance of violence and other not so good things. I don't think living in a place where you have to make sure you don't look at someone wrong or where they will make a weapon out of ANYTHING (literally) can be thought of as rewarding. Don't overlook that.

Comrade: They had one on just two days ago :D.

·
startx: command not found
3,991 Posts
3 meals a day
cable tv
All clothes
library
workout area... free

getting stabbed in the back with a toothbrush... priceless

D

·
0 Posts
the fact that the death penalty isnt effective (that is it doesnt deter people from killing)

·
Holy ****ing Asscrackers!
6,721 Posts
the fact that SOMEBODY could be killed when they're innocent. despite the fact that it takes years and lots of appeals to finally be put to death (at least in CA)

·
not really named bob...
2,368 Posts
thats the same everywere...except for the great state of texas with their "fastlane"(does anyone know if this has been struck down yet?)

the us is pretty much the only western country to still do it
people have been proved innocent while on deathrow(point out recent releases from dna evidence)
ineffective(as a detturance)
cruel and unusual

·
6,721 Posts
its ineffective as a deterrant because it takes so damn long to happen, and it isn't as often as it should. if we had capital punishment here like some other countries, crime would drop dramatically. get caught stealing, get your hand cut off. rape someone, have your dick and probably your head cut off. kill someone, get killed asap. I also believe prisons should be nothing more than cells no bigger than the smallest dorm room, no tv, no lifting weights, no NOTHING. **** off and get a couple rounds to the head. it's that simple. not only does it rid society of useless sacks of ****, it might keep others from going that route.
of course, there's too much sympathy for prisoners and that will never happen. but one can always wish

·
Registered
2,158 Posts
the problem I have with the death penalty is it gives our government the ability to kill its own people.

being a huge fanatical libertarian guy. I have a problem with this...

·
Registered
2,158 Posts
Z PYRO said:
its ineffective as a deterrant because it takes so damn long to happen, and it isn't as often as it should. if we had capital punishment here like some other countries, crime would drop dramatically. get caught stealing, get your hand cut off. rape someone, have your dick and probably your head cut off. kill someone, get killed asap. I also believe prisons should be nothing more than cells no bigger than the smallest dorm room, no tv, no lifting weights, no NOTHING. **** off and get a couple rounds to the head. it's that simple. not only does it rid society of useless sacks of ****, it might keep others from going that route.
of course, there's too much sympathy for prisoners and that will never happen. but one can always wish

the slightest infraction lands you in jail.

Holy ****. Thats nuts. I'm not even going to start whipping out the problems I have with this idea. Its quite frankly not going to change your opinion.

·
6,721 Posts
128shot said:
the slightest infraction lands you in jail.

Holy ****. Thats nuts. I'm not even going to start whipping out the problems I have with this idea. Its quite frankly not going to change your opinion.
what are you talking about? i said prison, NOT jail. pay attention before you start whipping your **** out

·
¡Viva La Rob!
6,076 Posts
he probably meant prison but just typed jail.. not that far fetched..

you know along with the fact that criminals are forced to go to prison, they still are people and there's still no reason to treat them inhumanly. cutting off someones hand? thats ridiculous, thats why here in the US we dont have these human rights violations that are the reason the UN and the US have sent troops into other countries for.. prison (in the US) is a form of punishment, but at the same time rehabilitation. of course not everyone can be rehabilitated, but criminals do sttep out of prison years later changed good people. you know people complain that criminals arent treated harsh enough, but thats why our country is civilized. we dont use horrible barbaric methods to punish suspected criminals

1 - 20 of 39 Posts