Paintball Guns and Gear forums banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
599 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys, I'm considering buying a new car when I turn 18. Right now I drive a 1996 Honda Accord DX Sedan. It's an I4 with an auto tranny. It's got 90k miles, runs well, and has some body wear and tear. It's a good car (seeing as I got it for free when my grandpa died), but I would like something else. My dream car is a Pewter 98-02 WS6 Trans Am. I could get one of these with about 50-60k miles for about 12 grand (online). The car gets pretty good gas mileage, especially on the highway (6th gear ), and wouldn't be too bad on insurance. I would use my own money to buy it. The thing is, I can't find many other cars that have a better "bang for buck" value. This is where you guys come in. I need some recommendations for cars for about the same value. Here's a list of things I would like in a new car.

Must cost $12,000 or less

MUST BE A V6, I6, or V8 w/ at least 200 horses.

Preferably RWD, but FWD/AWD is alright.

Car must have a manual tranny.

Preferably sedan (i know I like sedans), but some coupes are okay.

Any car company (i'm not picky).

Must have power doors, seats, windows, and mirrors.

Dual tipped exhaust is a huge plus. (i hate the look of a single exhaust pipe)

Good aftermarket (i'd like to do some mods).

Must have a CD player.

Preferably has a certain "wow" factor. (I like having a car that not many others do, or that will impress chicks)

Semi-good gas mileage (no less than 19 city).

Well, now that I've shown you guys a list of stuff I'd like in a car. Here is a list I made of cars that I like:

Trans Ams
Grand Prix GTPs
Accord V6 w/ dual exahust (not a coupe)
Prelude (RWD is a plus here)
3000GT VR4s
Impalas
Chevy trucks (gas is a concern)
Envoys (gas once again a concern)
Mazda6
Mustang GTs (common, underpowered, but RWD and a V8)
Cobras (not so common, strong motor, insurance and gas are concerns)

I know this post is long, but please help. Thank you.

·
Premium Member
13,027 Posts
Preludes aren't RWD buddy.. They handle really ****ing nice though. If you end up with a Prelude get one with the H22, which is the Vtec motor. The F22 is weak as hell unless you boost it because it's got cast iron internals and sleeves. H23 is just kinda worthless, good for bolt ons. The H23 is in the SI model.

You looked into DSMs at all? You can pick up a clean GST for 5-9k.

WS6 would be badass, but just keep into consideration.. Gas prices and insurance. Plus aftermarket parts will be MUCH more expensive.

·
Registered
599 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I don't like DSMs or any other eclipses. I just think thier ugly. Anyway, I thought that preludes were RWD, if they aren't, forget them.

·
teh car guy
1,292 Posts
You can pick up a very nice GTP for that kinda cash. They're good on gas for a V6 (I see about 33 on the highway at 70mph), the 3800 Series II motor can take a crapload of miles(buddy has a 97 w/ 253k on the clock), have enough power to begin with, although just stop by zzperformance.com if it doesn't have enough balls for you. I'll admit, they're not a huge chick magnet like something else would be, but then again, I'd trade that for the look on the faces of stang, camaro, and t/a owners after they see the tailights of my GTP. "No, I don't have a supercharger, just an annoying power-steering leak." Around 600 bucks will break a GTP w/a good driver and motor that hasn't been abused into high 13s. Any more q's about them just ask and I will answer them for you.

·
0ld Sk00l
3,773 Posts
go to the local gas station...

get Truck trader

surf through there

You can get niceee lifted trucks w/ chips, mud terrains, nice paint, loaded interiors w/ about 60k-100k miles for $10k or less. If you have a lifted truck, and it's regeared and has a chip in it. you can get high teens outta them on the road crusing. and u have the freedom of knowing you can go out into the mud holes and tear **** up :)

·
I was saving that bacon
7,177 Posts
I vote to keep the current car until it explodes/implods or just disappears. That way you could save up more money for a nicer car or whatever you want.

·
0ld Sk00l
3,773 Posts
DaBluedevil said:
Just gotta watch with trucks that are already done. Personally I'd rather get a stock truck and do it all myself. I don't trust people to do the stuff right, especially if they try to do it themselves.

yea tru that bro.. some ppl REALLY ****** rig lifts. but some ppl do great jobs on them. You just gotta be a smart shopper and know what your looking at and how it should be done.

·
Premium Member
13,027 Posts
He said AWD is fine.

I <3 WRXs.. AWD, Turbo, 6speed, good gas mileage. Insurance isn't too terrible, unlike the STI. For the money, the WRX is a damn good deal.

·
Premium Member
13,027 Posts
bunkertime said:
insurance down here on them is insane. i priced one out. STI or not. they are insane insurance.
I think it was like 235 less/month for someone around here. He bought a WRX instead of an STI and made it faster than a stock WRX and still had money that he saved.

·
Registered
2,657 Posts
1337 said:
I think it was like 235 less/month for someone around here. He bought a WRX instead of an STI and made it faster than a stock WRX and still had money that he saved.
Thats a rediculous amount of money for insurance.

I really like the GTPs and know several people that have them and are happy with them.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts