Paintball Guns and Gear forums banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Allen
5,718 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well my g/f is wanting to get me a new camera and I need some opinions.

Well she told me to pick one out thats less than $400, well heres what I found.

Newegg.com - Recertified: Nikon D40 Black 6.1 MP 2.5" 230K LCD Digital Camera w/ AF-S DX 18-55mm f/3.5-5.6G II ED Lens

I have really been wanting a DSLR cause I am bored with point and shoots. So is that a good deal/camera or is there something better I can get for about the same price? I did go play with one in BB last night and I like the feel of it and the controlss, plus they wanted $599 for it.

·
0 Posts
It's actually an slr and not one of those pretend digital image viewfinder types and that's gargantuan bonus compared to most superzooms out in the market right now. Also, the F mount for the lens means you can buy and use a ton of different lenses. At that price it's a good deal, probably better than most canon rebels out there.

·
Premium Member
13,027 Posts
I've been wanting to upgrade man. I've got an Olympus E-Volt 300 which IMO is nicer then the D40. I wasn't real impressed with the D40. I'd sell it for right in your price range as well. I'm really wanting to pick up a Canon XSi which runs about $800 heh.

·
Let's hug it out
4,506 Posts
600 is a rip off at least in my eyes. Best buy is an expensive buy, for electronics i always go to tigerdirect (probably because the warehouse is only a 15 min drive away) but at tiger they're only asking 450.

Nikon D40 Digital Camera SLR Body with 18-55MM LENS - 6.1 Megapixel, 3x 18-55mm f3.5-5.6G ED II AF-S DX Zoom-Nikkor Lens 25420 at TigerDirect.com -> thats with a 18-55mm lens

Nikon D40 Digital Camera SLR Body with 18-55MM LENS - 6.1 Megapixel, 3x 18-55mm f3.5-5.6G ED II AF-S DX Zoom-Nikkor Lens, Nikon AF-S DX Zoom NIKKOR 55-200mm f4-5.6G ED Lens at TigerDirect.com -> thats a d40 with a 18-55mm lens and a 55-200mm lens for $650

Digital SLR Camera, SLR Camera, SLR Cameras, SLR Digital Camera TigerDirect.com -> this an example of their selection of DSLR's and if you want a good bang for your buck and you were looking 600, there's a d60 for $550

-edit my bad, i didn't read the first post completely

D

·
0 Posts
d40 is not really a DSLR. It doesn't have a AF motor built in (in other words lenses without a autofocus motor you have to manual focus, very beat). It was streamlined and simplified that if you have any sort of interest in photography you will miss out on greatly. I say step it up to the D50 if you can. Check out KEH Camera: Used Cameras, Digital Cameras, Film Cameras, Laptop Computers and More. or B&H Photo Video | Digital Cameras, Camcorders BH is the best, but pricey. Digital Camera Reviews and News: Digital Photography Review: Forums, Glossary, FAQ is a pretty good site for research. Shoot me a PM if you got more questions Allen.

·
Allen
5,718 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I read about the it not having a mechanical auto focus drive, only the cpu contacts for use with lenses that have a built in auto focus. How important will that really be though? The next one up that has a mech AF is the D80 and thats a good lil hunk of money. All the other cameras that look pretty decent that I like are $650+ and thats pretty well out of the question.

·
startx: command not found
3,991 Posts

·
Allen
5,718 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I recently purchased a Canon Rebel XS for $450 new on Amazon. I know, slightly out of your price range, but not too much. Thus far it's been impressive to me. The kit lense isn't amazing, but it'll get the job done until you discover what sort of pictures you plan on taking. Took THIS my first day playing around with it. Give it a look, Amazon.com: Canon Rebel XS 10.1MP Digital SLR Camera with EF-S 18-55mm f/3.5-5.6 IS Lens (Black): Camera & Photo

I kinda like that one too. I was reading in some of the reviews on it that it felt kinda flimsy/weak in the body. How do you like the feel of it?

·
3,991 Posts
I kinda like that one too. I was reading in some of the reviews on it that it felt kinda flimsy/weak in the body. How do you like the feel of it?
It's lighter than you'd expect, but I find it a good thing. As for feeling cheap, I don't believe so. The buttons all seem to have plenty of resistance and the "gear spinner" at the top that allows you to change all your settings is so handy.

·
Banned
14,001 Posts
I dont mean to derail this conversation but iv also been looking to get a DSLR

i was wondering what you guys thought about the sony A300.

i love the stabalization thing they put in it. the only downside i have found is, at least for everyone iv gotten my hands on to try out, they dont seem to have a manual focus, is this just a characteristic of the lesne thats on it or can you just not manually focus? anyone know?

·
3,991 Posts
I dont mean to derail this conversation but iv also been looking to get a DSLR

i was wondering what you guys thought about the sony A300.

i love the stabalization thing they put in it. the only downside i have found is, at least for everyone iv gotten my hands on to try out, they dont seem to have a manual focus, is this just a characteristic of the lesne thats on it or can you just not manually focus? anyone know?
The thing that really kept me away from Sony was the fact that when you buy a DSLR, you're not buying just a camera, but you're buying into a brand. As you start buying lenses, flashes, etc, your investment becomes too large for it to make sense to switch. From doing a little research, I found that Sony offers fewer lenses than Canon, with comparable models being more expensive. Not to mention, with a smaller market share, there are fewer Sony products in use, so finding a deal on a used lens would likely be more difficult.

·
Banned
14,001 Posts
True but im going to run into a lense issue nomatter what. i dont need a lot of lesnes, maybe one that has a better zoom than the one that comes with it and one fish eye lense and ill be set. At first i was looking for a nikon as i have a nikon film SLR and was hoping i could use the few lenses i already have with it, but at least the guy i was talking to said that sony makes a lot of parts for nikon DSLRs anyway so you are buying mostly a sony and nikon is just the middleman who marks the price up.

any other cameras you guys think i should look into? ($600 is a roufgh max price)

·
Imperator
19,071 Posts
I've got a D40 that I've been using for a while to take pictures at car shows. It takes beautiful pictures and it's built like a tank, but is still small enough to not be bothersome to carry. The only thing that sucks about it though is the 18-55 lens it comes with. It doesn't really zoom enough for far away stuff, so I had to buy a 55-200. I wish it came with an 18-135mm like the more expensive Nikons came with. Instead, eventually I'll end up buying something like this:

Nikon 18-200mm f/3.5-5.6G IF-ED AF-S VR DX Lens Review: 1. Introduction: Digital Photography Review

Other than that though, I love it.

D

·
0 Posts
I mean Allen, if you are not looking for something to be taking stunning pictures and are not going to be super critical, the D40 can get the job done. Like stated above, the lens that comes with it absolutely sucks. The 18-200 Dooms posted is good for you guys. The only reason my post came across the way it did is because I did some work doing sports photography.

Here's my suggestion Allen:
http://www.keh.com/OnLineStore/ProductDetail.aspx?groupsku=DN029990899250&brandcategoryname=Digital&Mode=searchproducts&item=20&ActivateTOC2=false&ID=&BC=DN&BCC=3&CC=2&CCC=1&BCL=&GBC=&GCC=&KW=

Pick up an SD card, I know you know what that is

Call them up and see if it comes with a battery charger, if not order one of those up too. Also ask if it comes with the USB connector. If not, don't order it, I'll send you one.

Here's an 18-135
http://www.keh.com/OnLineStore/ProductDetail.aspx?groupsku=DN07999088446R&brandcategoryname=Digital&Mode=searchproducts&item=0&ActivateTOC2=false&ID=&BC=DN&BCC=3&CC=7&CCC=2&BCL=&GBC=&GCC=&KW=

A banging 18-200
http://www.keh.com/OnLineStore/ProductDetail.aspx?groupsku=DN07999082856N&brandcategoryname=Digital&Mode=searchproducts&item=0&ActivateTOC2=false&ID=&BC=DN&BCC=3&CC=7&CCC=2&BCL=&GBC=&GCC=&KW=

Let me know, and keep me updated.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts