Paintball Guns and Gear forums banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

· Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
It goes through air like crazy. Also it seems like it doesn't shoot as hard as others. I even adjusted the regulator. I was just wondering what would be the best board settings, for the dwell and all that. I don't do full auto, I do ramping. Any advice?

· Administrator
15,010 Posts
Well you'll need to be a little more specific, these are not known for efficiency so when you say "going through air line crazy" it doesn't really help me.

Crazy could be 600 shots to one person and 2000 to another

What size tank are you using and how many shots

Do you mean velocity for how "hard" it's shooting? This is a spool valve marker so it's quieter and smoother than a lot of others, it's not going to feel like other because the valve system works different

What velocity are you shooting at?

Sent from my motorola edge 5G UW (2021) using Tapatalk

· Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I usually go through about 1000 shots every game. I have a 68/4500 tank with a aerolite regulator. Yes it does seem to travel very fast and by the end of every game I am usually completely out of air

· Administrator
15,010 Posts
What velocity are you shooting at?

You are going through a case of paint every 2 games?

That's roughly 5 pods and a hopper every game.

Regardless, 1000 on a 68/45 is not out of the ballpark for what I would expect from a rize. They are not the most efficient markers. On average I would say they get a little better but nothing wild, if you are sitting right at 300fps 1000 is roughly what I would expect.

Things that can help

Barrel kit, matching your barrel to the paint will mean you need less air to get to the same speed

Dwell tuning, I can run you through this process if you want but you'll need to spend a good 15+ minutes at a Chrono to really do it.

· Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
That would be awesome man. Yeah I order the deadly winds Wilbur xl barrel with the inserts so should have that within this week. Iv been curious on how to get the best performance out of it possible. I really appreciate your time and help

· Administrator
15,010 Posts
That's a good barrel, I run one myself

Ok first off with your barrel kit I need to go over paint matching. Three methods here

1) overbore
2) "just right"
3) underbore

1) overbore is when there is still space around the paint, the insert you have chosen still allows for some space, sometimes it's enough to allow roll outs, sometimes a little shaking will get one out.
+Often better consistency
+Allowes for inconsistency in the paint
-not the best efficiency (still typically far better than something like a stock barrel)

2) the just right or "perfect fit". Select an insert where the paintballs will not roll out of but if you put the insert to your mouth and blow the paintball will come out
+Typically better efficiency
+Easy to figure out which insert to use
-inconsistencies in paint can cause problems
-not the best consistency as some paintballs seal better than others

3) underbore, find the insert that is the "just right" size and then go one size down from there.
+Eliminates a lot of inconsistency from the paint as you are squeezing each ball
+Typically best efficiency (very small gains over the other two methods)
-can cause problems if the paint is bad quality, lots of barrel breaks
-a small underbore at the start of the day can become a large underbore as the day goes on and things warm up

Dwell tuning, first, READ YOUR MANUAL. know how to program your board before starting this

Ok, get your chosen insert in your barrel, grab a bunch of paint and head to the Chrono

First set your velocity, I'll just use 285 for a reference point, I'm not sure what your field uses. Likely you'll have to turn it down after switching to that barrel. After this DO NOT ADJUST THE REGULATOR

Velocity set, fire a few shots and find your consistency number. Let's say it goes like this
Shot 1) 283
2)278
3)285
4)281
5)280

So the highest is 285 and the lowest is 278. Difference of 7fps. Just keep that in mind

Next get the board into programming mode and get to dwell. Let's say the factory setting is 40ms. I'd say chop 5ms off just to start, typically they are set pretty conservative from the factory. Fire a few over the Chrono (sometimes you have to exit programming mode, sometimes you don't) chances are your velocity will be the same

What you are looking for is a drop off in velocity. Let's say 30ms works fine but it's shooting at 260 once you go to 25ms. The drop off needs to be larger than your consistency gap. So if 25 is definitely drop off territory I would bump it back to 30 or 33. You want to leave a little wiggle room in there because the next time you go to the field conditions and maybe the paint will be different

That's pretty much it. You will be getting better efficiency. On my vanguard Creed I managed to cut the dwell almost in half from the factory setting. Granted it's a different design than your rize but I can shoot over a case on a full full

1 - 8 of 8 Posts