Paintball Guns and Gear forums banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Premium Member
13,027 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So we have to read classic literature that colleges recomend for English and do a small powerpoint presentation over it.

I chose A Mid Night's Summer Dream by William Shakespeare... yeah bad choice.

I've read over half the book and have no idea what the hell is going on.

Here's what I need to know...

The 3 main characters and some details about them.
What happens int he beginning, middle, and end. *short and sweet please*
3 themes and conflicts in the book

If you guys could help me out, I'd really appreciate it. I just can't understand this book at all and it's just really frustrating me and I have finals tomorrow and next week so this on top of it makes everything more stressful.

Thanks in advance for the help.

·
Premium Member
13,027 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks Dean, that helps a bit.

I looked on Sparknotes and didnt' really find anything useful.

I've seen Jin in here for a while and I know he's a play nut, so I'm awaiting his response. :p

·
We The People
5,925 Posts
This is a great play. In fact, we did it last year for the fall play. Absolutely amazing set. I built a real, working waterfall for it.

ANYWAYS...

Basically you have four lovers:
Lysander
Demetrius
Hermia
Helena

Then you have the Fairy King, Oberon. Puck is Oberon's mischevious 'assistant' if you will, the one who does all the work for Oberon. Titania is Oberon's queen, Egeus is the human King and father of Hermia, and then there's a few more human characters.

Ok, now follow this if you can:
Demetrius loves Hermia.
Egeus wants Hermia to marry Demetrius.
Hermia & Lysander are in love.
Helena loves Demetrius.

Hermia & Lysander plan to run away and get married. They tell Helena, who is their friend. Helena tells Demetrius of the plan, however, hoping to gain his trust & love back.

They all wind up in the woods at the same time that night.

Meanwhile, Oberon had sent Puck to fetch a flower that, when sprinkled upon the eyelids of a sleeping person, causes that person to fall in love with the first person/thing they see upon waking. Oberon tells Puck to put some on Demetrius' eyelids, because he saw Demetrius rejecting Helena. Puck however screws up, and mistakes Lysander for Demetrius.

Lysander sees Helena upon waking, falls in love with her (forgetting about Hermia). Puck tries to right his wrong, and winds up getting both Demetrius and Lysander in love with Helena, who was shunned by both before.

So now the guys love Helena and not Hermia. Hermia gets jealous obviously, and a bunch of stuff happens.

Puck also made Titania fall in love with Bottom. Puck had also turned Bottom's head into that of an ass (as in donkey). So now Titania is in love with a half man, half donkey.

More stuff happens, comedy ensues, love, etc etc.

In the end Puck tells you it's all been a dream. The end.

Seriously though, you should actually read it. It's a great play, very funny, and not that hard to read/understand. Shakespeare owns.

-Jinjiro

·
Registered
10,024 Posts
loL @ "bottom"s head turns into an "ass"

sounds good though...but some people just cant read shakespeare.

·
We The People
5,925 Posts
Unfortunately I didn't take a picture of the waterfall (why, I don't know). But you can still sort of see it in a few of the pictures. If you know stage directions at all, it is Up Stage Right. In the last two pictures you can see it, it's on the left side of the picture, up on the platform.

It was about 4 feet high, and had 3 tiers to it. There was a basin at the bottom that collected everything and held the pump. It was such a monumental undertaking for something that I thought of on the last day of set construction. I worked on that thing up until opening night. We had problems with the pump, problems with leaking, problems with overspray, problems with noise...But it was so worth it. Totally kick ass.

-Jinjiro

·
Premium Member
13,027 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
I just finished.

Thanks a lot Jin, you were so much help. I really appreciate it.

·
Premium Member
13,027 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Just wanna say, Jin is THE MAN!

I got a 100% on my Powerpoint today, A+ baby!

Thanks man I really appreciate it.

·
Registered
2,513 Posts
I remember we did a playof that in 8th grade. I was forced to be the lion,and I had to roar.

·
Registered
2,618 Posts
Jinjiro said:
Unfortunately I didn't take a picture of the waterfall (why, I don't know). But you can still sort of see it in a few of the pictures. If you know stage directions at all, it is Up Stage Right. In the last two pictures you can see it, it's on the left side of the picture, up on the platform.

It was about 4 feet high, and had 3 tiers to it. There was a basin at the bottom that collected everything and held the pump. It was such a monumental undertaking for something that I thought of on the last day of set construction. I worked on that thing up until opening night. We had problems with the pump, problems with leaking, problems with overspray, problems with noise...But it was so worth it. Totally kick ass.

-Jinjiro
this?

·
We The People
5,925 Posts
Snoop06 said:
Jin, in your production was Puck male or female? I have seen it 5 times now, and in the most recent Puck was female. Not that it matters, it was just a different twist than the previous ones.
Our Puck was female, and she did a really good job. I've actually only seen it with Puck as a girl, though I know it can be either.

Charger said:
Yep, that's it.

1337 - No problem man, glad I could help.

-Jin

1 - 18 of 18 Posts