Paintball Guns and Gear forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
hey everybody,

I'm just getting back into the game after a 10 or so year hiatus. You guys have been a great help to me so far... and I only have posted about 3 times.

My girlfriend has been enjoying watching me rebuild my old Angel, and wants to go out and play with me. I'm looking for a decent gun for her because I don't really want to rent those crappy Tippmanns, or whatever they use nowadays.

what would you say this gun is worth? they are selling everything in the picture for $50. what is it? (i know it's some sort of electronic JT) is it worth it? would it be better than what would be lent to her and a field?

extra points for anybody that can tell me what they rent to you at Badlandz in Crete,IL

thanks!

edit:
just figured out it is a JT Excellerator. looks to be a good price on the package.

D

·
0 Posts
After hearing the horror story of how Badlandz handled MWXL..in conjunction with my buddy's opinion of the state and condition of the field....

You might want to make the jaunt up to East Dundee for Paintball Explosion, or over to CPX in Joliet. I know its a bit of a cruise - but ....well... I can't say I heard very good things.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
After hearing the horror story of how Badlandz handled MWXL..in conjunction with my buddy's opinion of the state and condition of the field....

You might want to make the jaunt up to East Dundee for Paintball Explosion, or over to CPX in Joliet. I know its a bit of a cruise - but ....well... I can't say I heard very good things.

good to know! will keep that in mind. any input on the marker? worth buying it to avoid renting? or is it not that much better than the rentals

D

·
0 Posts
I can't speak on the marker specifically as I kinda side-stepped JT for anything but goggles and swabs.

What were you looking to spend? Also... umm... I'm relatively local. So depending on when you're interested in going and if we can make days/times line up... there's an opportunity to play with each other's toys :)

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
That'd be awesome! a couple of my old teammates are looking to play sometime pretty soon. I'll PM you my info

This package would just be for my girlfriend. I'm not looking for anything super fancy, just something so she doesn't have to rent. And I figured the cheapest e-marker would be better than any tippmann. at most, I'd be willing to spend $100 on a package for her. but assuming she's only going to play a couple of times before she gets burnt out on the sport, I can't really justify even spending that much

·
Administrator
23,657 Posts
Expect that JT marker to preform badly and to be flaky. I wouldn't pay any money for it, personally. I'd much rather shoot a rental marker. At least of that breaks, they'll hand you a new one and you'll be able to continue playing.

D

·
0 Posts
Then - what I'll tell you to do is this:

Again - its a bit of a cruise - but there's a little place called Discount Paintball. Its located in an off-looking pseudo-strip mall in an industrial district in Elk Grove Village off 83 and 90-ish.

Take here there, try on any and all the masks they have in any of their display cases. Let her pick one...and she's spent the $100 you're willing to spend on a marker or a gun.

When she burns out - you're not out $100 and you're not buying crap. This is... /gasp... your new backup mask!

And - when you take her out and play, try to coordinate it around a friend(s) with multiple setups. Most tourney players have 2-3 setups they can bring out... probably closer to 3.. maybe just missing a critical element. If I go and I bring a non-playing friend with me.. I can still plan to bring another marker and another hopper with. We'd be short a tank, but you can either rent one for $5-10 (if its only a handfull of times... $30 is cheaper than $100) or try to find someone with an extra within your group of friends.

All this method will do is require you have friends with markers.. or meet friends with markers. I understand that its not always desirable playing with a T98... but if she's your girl.. she should be playing with your marker, and you should be working on your snaps with the T98 + a jerk + a fuzzy stick.... both available at Discount Paintball.

TL:DR - I wouldn't invest in a setup for her. Get her a nice mask so she's not using rental crap, and either bank on charity or generocity - or let her use your crap and you use the rental marker.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts