Paintball Guns and Gear forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok so I took my 98C with a tippmann expansion chamber (shooting CO2) and newly installed flatline to the field for the first time today. My first mistake was not buying some paint and testing it out first. My second mistake was buying the cheapest paint for it. Any way here is my problem, the marker would shoot nice and flat and they curve wildy. I fully read the instructions and was well aware of the aligning procedure. At one point i even left the screw on the barrel adapter loose and attempted to adjust it, but with no luck. I asked some of the more experienced players for some advise and they immediately pointed towards my cheap paint( most recommended I get some marbelizers). I have also read that ideal chrono range for the flatline is in the 270fps range, even with my screw almost all the way out (probably further out than it should have been) I could not get it to chrono above 220-230fps! I finally regretfully removed the flatline and reinstalled the stock barrel when i went to the chrono station without make any adjustments to the velocity screw it was clocking it at 330fps. I think my problem was compounded with cheap paint + low velocity. How can i get my velocity up on my marker when the flat line is installed and if any other tricks that may be of help? I love the the flat trajectory of the barrel, I am determined to get ti to shoot properly.
One more thing with the barrel is that adapter is very difficult to install. I usually end up sliding an allen wrench through the screw hole to get it cranked around. Does anyone else have this problem? I'M afraid if i keep doing this i will eventually screw the threasd up in that screw hole.

thanks,

Will

·
Screaming Koala
4,685 Posts
Before you put the adaptor on, loosen the front three screws on the gun body a little. Once its on, tighten them back up.

As for the velocity, I'm just gioing to guess that most of the air that should have been pushing on the ball was escaping around it. The flatline has a huge bore size compared to other barrels to let the paint spin. If the paint was small in size I would imagine it would let most of the air around it pretty easily. If it still does it with different brands of paint, let us and your field people know and someone should be able to find the problem.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Torch said:
Before you put the adaptor on, loosen the front three screws on the gun body a little. Once its on, tighten them back up.

As for the velocity, I'm just gioing to guess that most of the air that should have been pushing on the ball was escaping around it. The flatline has a huge bore size compared to other barrels to let the paint spin. If the paint was small in size I would imagine it would let most of the air around it pretty easily. If it still does it with different brands of paint, let us and your field people know and someone should be able to find the problem.
When cleaning the marker last night I did the loosening the front 3 bolts on the body and that worked like a charm. I remember doing that when i installed it, I didn't think i would have to do it every time. The air escaping around the ball theory makes a lot of sense, I will buy a small bag or marbs this weekend just to test it out.

Thanks!

·
Registered
5 Posts
Yeah, the flatline is probably one of the pickiest barrels you can own... When the barrel is on, it is great. The rest of the time it is rough. =P

But yeah paint and the barrel being in correct are probably the things that will affect it the most.

Just a note on the co2. The incosistant nature of co2 can cause fps issues with the barrel. On a freash fill of the tank to extram weather.

·
Registered
3,172 Posts
Biggest problem as said above is cheap paint. As far as the low velocity goes...are you using a remote? Remotes tend to starve markers of velocity. My tippy on a remote only gets about 220-230 fps. Didnt see anything about a remote in your posts so I thought I would ask. If you are running a remote run chrono it without the remote and see if your velocity goes up.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Smitty said:
Biggest problem as said above is cheap paint. As far as the low velocity goes...are you using a remote? Remotes tend to starve markers of velocity. My tippy on a remote only gets about 220-230 fps. Didnt see anything about a remote in your posts so I thought I would ask. If you are running a remote run chrono it without the remote and see if your velocity goes up.
No remote but my tank is only a 9oz, would that matter?

·
Registered
3,172 Posts
Ok I went back a re-read your initial post again and you got 330 with a different barrel. I wouldnt be surprised to find out that this whole mess is just a cheap paint problem. The problem definitely is NOT with the tank.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts