Paintball Guns and Gear forums banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Im new to paintballing I just started alittle a couple weeks ago, I really like it and I would like to do woodsball the most. I havent really be able to find a place to buy all the things i need though. Im pretty sure I know what gun I am gonna get, but I dont know which hopper to get and tank. Can someone give me some ideas on what else to add on to this? Gun I am thinking about buying is linked below.

Smart Parts Ion MAX'd - Blue NIB - Free Ship - eBay (item 180169288282 end time Mar-11-08 08:50:43 PDT)

·
Bringer of large farts
2,370 Posts
I would recommend the spyder vs1 over that gun. The spyder is physically as capable as th ion, is much simpler to fix, and will run properly off less expensive gear.

The ion is going to need a HPA tank(please see sticky in this forum for info) to last worth anything. The VS1 will run on air. Both guns really could use an upgraded feedneck. The Ion asa is pretty crappy imo, the VS1 is a little nicer.

If it was me I would get:
VS1- this is a factory refurbished(ie it came form the factory with issues, was shipped back and fixed, now is being resold.) VS1. It has eyes, it will shoot much fast than you can pull the trigger, and from the many I have seen come through our shop, is a very durable marker. 94.95$

CCM VS feedneck- I recommend that feedneck over the SP necks....ccm is top shelf gear, you pay a bit more for a MUCH nicer neck. 29.95$

SP A/S CO2 tank The gun will run fine with a non anti-siphon tank, but for a few dollars more you get an on/off and A/S tank. Great little value. 44.95$

Vlocity Jr. What can I say, the velocity is a tried and true design, and the junior is probably the least expensive high-end loader on the market. This one will last you through any gun you buy. 97$

V-force profilersYour mask is one place you don't want to cheap out. I've linked the profilers because they're an average price and a GREAT mask. Coming from someone who wears a mask to work every weekend, there not a bad deal :D. Many other options though. 59.95

There's a basic mid-range beginner setup. the total cost would be 326.80+ shipping from actionvillage. The same setup with an ion would be a MINIMUM of 480$ with the same hopper, mask, feedneck(which again....I deal with them in an airsmith role every weekend, the feedneck is darn near mandatory, either way it's the same price..) and a VERY heavy, VERY small 48ci steel HPA tank. The setup I listed for you is one that will be extremely versatile for a first rig. The gun will run off any CO2 tank, so if you and your buddies go out in the woods, grab a couple extra tanks from walmart, have the hardware store fill them, and have all-day fun. At the same time, I've played with that gun on the same field as most other high end electros- I never felt outmatched. Properly setup, the trigger is walkable, and actually not half bad...

The mask is one that you can use for a long time, is comfortable, and even is repairable(ie, the lens cracks a new one is cheap), and the hopper is going to be usable on any gun you want to play with, from a pump to the fastest electro's.

At the same time, the investment on the gun is kept to a minimum. Remember that Ion resale value is horrible, and you will never see half of what you drop on that gun.

Save yourself the 160$ for 3 or 4 cases of paint, or spend it on gear you will use. Remember, it's not about the gun, it's about having fun as a player....that setup, or one similar to it, will get you where you need to be to have fun for a very long time. Don't buy into the hype about "sears" and the other "agg kiddie" nonsense that's being spewed about the internet like gospel....it's ego(and not the gun) massaging from people who have, for the most part, not been in the sport long enough to remember when value was actually an issue. I'm not made out of money, I don't know about you.

If you MUST get the ion, the hopper recomendation remains the same, and for a tank I would do this. Don't be seduced by cheap steel tanks....that 70ci steely you see floating around weighs two or three times what most fiber tanks do..

·
Registered
18 Posts
Hey,

For a nice startup package, take a look at this one Kingman Spyder Electra 06 refurbished pro package - Packages Deals - Action Center Paintball

The money you are saving is over $100 with this package, and it encludes an Empire Reloader, HPA 68/3000 tank, and a decent set of goggles. Buying a refurbished gun is the way to go since it is refinished at the factory and all parts checked out. It is almost new and looks brand new.

This site always seems to have great deals on guns and gear.

Packages (If they have the right stuff in them) are definitely the way to go. You will save a lot of money.)

Let us know what you wind up doing.

·
Bringer of large farts
2,370 Posts
To much for that pack covert. Those goggles are just like any other cheapo mask(nowhere near the quality of profilers), the empire reloader is a revvy with a weird shell(not as fast by a long shot) and the electra has the rocking frame garbage on it.

Packages are most certainly NOT the way to go, as the generally have substandard equipment. If you'll notice, I built him one with a better gun, better mask, better hopper, and a decent tank for 20$ more out of pieces. 9 times out of ten you can do that, especially at his budgetary range..

·
Registered
58 Posts
I haven't been a member of the forums long, but I once used a friends account to frequent the board. Anyways, I've never seen txaggie give bad advice on a marker setup. I even clicked on his links to check out what he was suggesting, and it looks pretty good IMO. For a starter package, it's definately a good way to go. I also wanted to mention that even though he said it will run fine on a non Anti-Siphon tank, I strongly suggest sticking with the tank he recommended. You'll be better off in the long run. Also, never skimp on your mask selection - IMO, it's the most important piece of equipment you can buy.

·
Bringer of large farts
2,370 Posts
^^ most definitely on the anti-siphon tank. It will shoot more consistently, and will help the gun hold up better internally, than non-as. I was making the point only to say "and hey, if all else fails you can get more tanks cheap".

Thanks for the compliment btw.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts