Paintball Guns and Gear forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys I am realtively new to the forum but not new to the sport. I have been playing for close to 6 years now. I currently own 2 guns a tippman 98 which I bought at 14 and a smart parts ion. I am looking to upgrade the ion. Now I don't want a bunch of haters or anything stupid posted. I know they have problems but I own the gun and it has worked for me for 3 years now. I currently have a J&J 14" ceramic barrel, cp trigger, clamping feedneck, and a small rail.

I play recball. I played 1 tournament and the gun did decent but that time is passed because the members off that team have moved away.

The things I have been looking at and need some input on.

Oh and I have read through the sticky and learned lots thanks.

I am looking at a QEV. That seems like a good investment and an all around cheap upgrade. I don't need to much help on that one yet.

I want to upgrade the eyes to a laser beam just so I can double check they are working I found some for a good price I am assuming as long as they are a known brand there should be no problem.

I have heard that the stock detents are terrible but I have yet to replace them. What is the advantage to an aftermarket detent? Which are good?

The last thing I want is to get a new bolt. Now there are a ton of brands out there but I don't know which to go with. From reading through some of the forum's and sticky's it seems that the tech t bolt is the way to go. Now how do I know which one to go with since some are for the XE? Also are there any other good bolts?

Ok so basically that is it. I simply want to upgrade the eyes, add a QEV and some performance bolt. Now what can I expect as far as performance from the QEV and the bolt? I have heard people say they saw a good increase in shots per tank? I am assuming this is due to lowering dwell and the lighter bolt? Also is there a good starting point for dwell with say a QEV and a tech t bolt just to get a person in the ball park or no?

Thanks for all of the help, and please don't be too harsh, I am an ion owner but I have had good luck with the gun and it has served me well for what I play. I am just looking to make it a little better and maybe get some more efficiency.

·
Paintball?
7,646 Posts
The 360 QEV is probably the easiest to install, I'd go for that one

Stock detents do suck, but if yours are working, than that's awesome
If you do want to upgrade, Kila makes some amazing detents, as does TechT and NDZ. The advantage is that they are made of delrin, which causes lower drag on your bolt, and should have a much longer wear life than the stock detents, meaning they should pretty much last as long as you play

TechT L7 and the DW HollowPoint are probably the two best bolts on the market as of now
For the TechT bolt, if you visit their site, they'll give you the option to pick the XE specific bolt

As for the HollowPoint, I believe that it comes with all the parts needed for any version, it's good to double check with them though

When tuning it, there really is no quick way to get it started, you just gotta mess with it until it works the way you want it to

If you want to save some money though, all you really need is a QEV
The physical limitations of the marker will never be achieved by you with a stock bolt and QEV

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks for the fast response and all of the info.

So basically the stock bolt is fine and all I would need is a QEV? How much of a performance gain can I expect to see from a QEV? Roughly how many shots a 68/4500 tank difference would there be? Also how much more consistent would the gun be with the QEV? As far as bolts go I am assuming the only real advantage is they are lighter and a little better design? And the 360 QEV that is the one with the screw banjo fitting like the stock fitting I am assuming? I have seen several different ones, and I think that is the one I was looking at.

And I might just upgrade the detents just so I don't have to worry about them. I think the new upgraded ones were like 20 bucks somewhere in there maybe a little less, I can't remember.

·
Paintball?
7,646 Posts
Stock bolt is perfectly fine. If you want to upgrade your bolt, that's your choice, but it really isn't going to do much for performance. A lighter bolt may increase efficiency, but that's it
With a QEV and stock bolt, you might get 1500 shots on a 68/45? that's with proper tuning and all that jazz

The 360 QEV is made by Smart Parts/GOG, that's the one I'd recommend

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Ok thanks.

Well you just saved me some money.

So right now it looks like I am going to do this.

I am going to buy a 360 QEV, the laser eyes, and the delrin detents by tech t since that is the brand delrin detents sold by the place I am ordering the rest of my parts from.

I will try to get some pics once I get the parts and maybe a video. I am waiting for my tank to go out for rehydrotesting. So hopefully I will get that back in 2 weeks or so.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts