Paintball Guns and Gear forums banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 37 Posts

·
Administrator
14,012 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
well, to be honest i hate my photo class this quarter but that doesnt mean i get to give up.

basically the whole class revolves around our final project. i need 20 photos for a rough draft that will be cut down to 10 for the final.

so im trying to spitball ideas because i have nothing.

what would you think makes an interesting photo series?

·
Administrator
14,012 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
boring, too much of a documentation, not to mention could be done with a google search

its a contemporary art class so i have to think outside the box a little

i have 2 ideas that have been running through my head a little bit but neither is a favorite

#1 "little is big" this would be taking photos of small things that are in everyday life, a pen tip, a fly etc with my macro lens and printing them out at 2-3 feet wide to emphasize the detail in the object giving the viewer a new look at everyday things

#2 "something and nothing" the class is a lot of conceptual talk and to be honest thats one of the reasons i hate it as well as contemporary fine art photography in general. he is teaching us nothing of the technical side of photography (how to use your camera in new and interesting ways, how to edit etc) but is rather focusing on the conceptual side of things (how does it make you feel?) so for this idea i would want to make photos that are conceptually about nothing, but do contain a large amount of technical skill

still not sure how i would pull this one off

·
Paintball?
7,646 Posts
Lighting, content (doesn't just have to be completely empty), and composition?

The thing that comes to mind is a movie theater with a whole block of seats in the middle empty, with the rest of the seats packed

·
Administrator
14,012 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
problem with the movie theater idea is you can apply a whole host of conceptual ideas to that empty space

however i do like the idea of "something missing" i may think on that some more

as for the empty rooms my largest concern is "how do you make an empty space interesting"? inherently they are not interesting, that is why they are empty (or the other way around)

·
Paintball?
7,646 Posts
How about having a room filled with people, but just not in one specific area?

I guess that's the kind of feel I was trying to explain with the theater

·
Administrator
14,012 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
ya and i know what you are seeing in your head......besides Martix in the shower......but the problem is you can apply a whole host of conceptual ideas to that empty space in specific

i have not abandon the idea i just think it would be too easy to put a conceptual idea into a photo like that when my idea is suposed to be the lack of any conceptual idea

·
Administrator
14,012 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
hence my problem

so i feel like i will have to shoot for as few conceptual ideas as possible rather than none

edit: on the other hand what if i packed the photo with so many things that you could apply just about ANY conceptual idea to it? i feel like it would be extremely hard to balance the photo but just as an idea?

·
Registered
361 Posts
BOOBIES! Sorry had to throw those out there.

Though, I do like the paintball idea. A retrospective of casual to pro players at the local indoor field. Almost like the evolutionary scale of paintball. Splice in still of the field's features.

Then again, there's cleavage covered paint. Showcasing how each shot is distinct with it's own splatter pattern. Very artsie. However, who in her right mind would let you shoot her bare chest. The idea may need tweeking.

1 - 20 of 37 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.