Paintball Guns and Gear forums banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Banned
2,548 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Yo I was playing football today in gym during 6th period which is my last period of the day, and I don't remember twisting my ankle or doing anything to my leg and after i got out of my car my ankle hurts when I put ay weight on it and my thigh is really really sore.It's not from the muscles tightening up I know that though...Any idea what happened?

·
Cunning Linguist
2,273 Posts
I know everyone thinks that medic can solve all of your problems, but really he can't, and I'm sure he will tell you the same. First of all he's not a doctor, so he's not really 'allowed' to diagnose. Secondly he isn't observing the symptoms first hand so its very difficult for him to determine what the source may be, and thirdly most of you guys do not give near enough information for him to make an educated guess. If you think you may have a serious injury, seek medical attention in person from a medical doctor.

Now for my unqualified opinion: If its a really mild sprain, and you were really into the game, then you may have sprained it without knowing it because the endorphins dulled the pain. As a general rule, if you don't feel it requires medical attention, there's a good chance its just a soft tissue injury: muscle or tendon, and you should take some advil and put some ice on it to reduce the swelling. The sooner you can eliminate swelling, the sooner your body can go about repairing the damaged tissues.

2,668 Posts
Angered Fists said:
I know everyone thinks that medic can solve all of your problems, but really he can't, and I'm sure he will tell you the same. First of all he's not a doctor, so he's not really 'allowed' to diagnose. Secondly he isn't observing the symptoms first hand so its very difficult for him to determine what the source may be, and thirdly most of you guys do not give near enough information for him to make an educated guess.
Too much hate...i bet medic comes in and answers for teh win!

·
Holy ****ing Asscrackers!
6,721 Posts
Angered Fists said:
I know everyone thinks that medic can solve all of your problems, but really he can't, and I'm sure he will tell you the same. First of all he's not a doctor, so he's not really 'allowed' to diagnose. Secondly he isn't observing the symptoms first hand so its very difficult for him to determine what the source may be, and thirdly most of you guys do not give near enough information for him to make an educated guess. If you think you may have a serious injury, seek medical attention in person from a medical doctor.
lol I was just about to say something like that. he's a paramedic, not a general physician. I'm sure he has more important things to do than tell kids who hurt themselves playing sports at school

·
Cunning Linguist
2,273 Posts
Angered Fists said:
and I'm sure he will tell you the same.
No hate, I'm just a little bit more closely involved with the health sciences community than you are, so I understand that even if he were a doctor he would have reservations about answering questions like this in an online forum. I used to work at a massage therapy clinic and one of the things I was told was not to give advice for treatment of injuries over the phone, because as a representative of the clinic, if I tell someone with a broken arm that its just a sprain, and they just ice it and play football and make the condition worse, the clinic can be held accountable for damages.

·
Banned
2,548 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
um...k....But see I have no ides what medics name is let alone where he lives...I don't care if he gives me false advice as long as you don't purposely do it....

·
Holy ****ing Asscrackers!
6,721 Posts
you should care. say you have a potentially serious injury, and he tells you it's nothing, you go and play football again and you totally screw up your foot and require emergency surgery and lots of therapy. now if YOU wouldn't care, I'm sure your parents would. I don't think they'd want you to get medical info from a paintball website

·
Cunning Linguist
2,273 Posts
BushmasterMAN said:
um...k....But see I have no ides what medics name is let alone where he lives...I don't care if he gives me false advice as long as you don't purposely do it....
It's not a matter of whether or not you care, its a matter of ethics and whether or not a court of law would find him liable.

·
0ld Sk00l
3,773 Posts
Well, i'll tell u wut medic will say

He'll say take some ibuprofen, i believe in 500 MG doses every few hours, but no more then like 4 pills per day, i'm not sure... i know he'll say ibuprofen

As for ur muscle problem, Try messaging it. I pulled alot of muscles durring football, and bought a massager from the mall (the big things w/ the 2 vibrating things on the end) (if someone says dildo, they loose 30 e-cool points) and it helps alot

But don't make threads every time u do something like that, fight through the pain, if u really play football and need it to be better, ask ur trainer

·
shine on.
10,745 Posts
bunkertime said:
if u really play football and need it to be better, ask ur trainer
You just ice and ibuprofin (sp?) That's the magical cure. If it bothers you in a week or so, go get it checked out. Just work through the pain, don't stop walking, or moving, just walk it off. I might sound like a bastard, but there's really nothing else to tell you. I sprained my knee, ankle(s), and wrists, just ibuprofin (sp?) before games, and ice afterwards. Also have a brace for my knee and one ankle. Best to get it checked out, though, if it's really bothering you. Don't want to mess it up for good.

·
Cunning Linguist
2,273 Posts
If you do decide to 'walk it off', do NOT limp. Limping is muscle guarding: protecting injured muscles by compensating with the help of other muscle groups and it WILL lead to more problems down the road. Two years of twice a week massage therapy (no, its really not that great when they spend the full 45 minutes trying to reduce muscle knots the size of your fist from your lower back) taught me not to muscle guard.

·
Banned
2,548 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
bunkertime said:
if u really play football and need it to be better, ask ur trainer
Who said I play football,I said I was playing football in gym we have no trainers.

·
Banned
1,183 Posts
Medic is yet again unaware of poor people in need of help...

1 - 20 of 27 Posts