Paintball Guns and Gear forums banner

1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
We The People
5,925 Posts
Very interesting. I basically knew all of that, but it's still interesting. It's hard to comprehend shooting a bullet off the back of a train and having it drop straight to the ground. But I think it's cool that you can shoot a bullet at twice the speed if you're moving.

-Jin

·
We The People
5,925 Posts
tippmann666 said:
i just know that someone is gonna see this, then grab his paintgun, and start running backwards in his yard as he shoots to see if he can make the paintballs drop.
Hmm...Well, if I could drop my velocity to around 220fps, then I could get up to about 150mph in my car, shoot my gun, and see what happens. If I stop posting, you guys can assume I'm either dead or in jail. :rofl

Now the real question is, what happens when you're going faster than what the projectile shoots out at? For example, in the How Stuff Works article, they said if you're going 1,00mph and shoot opposite your direction of motion at 1,000mph, the bullet would fall to the ground. What about if you're going 2,000mph and shoot the bullet at 1,000mph? Would it merely travel backwards, or what?

-Jin

·
12,110 Posts
It wouldnt do anythign. IT would fire, but the bullet would just hit the other bullet in the chamber or it would jam.

Ever go onthe highway adn throw somethign out the window forwards? You can't relaly do it.

When I'm on my bike and I need to spit, if I'm aiming for a drain or something, I always spit a bit before I would normally. BEucase the spit it traveling faster.

·
Let's hug it out
4,506 Posts
Jinjiro said:
Hmm...Well, if I could drop my velocity to around 220fps, then I could get up to about 150mph in my car, shoot my gun, and see what happens. If I stop posting, you guys can assume I'm either dead or in jail. :rofl

Now the real question is, what happens when you're going faster than what the projectile shoots out at? For example, in the How Stuff Works article, they said if you're going 1,00mph and shoot opposite your direction of motion at 1,000mph, the bullet would fall to the ground. What about if you're going 2,000mph and shoot the bullet at 1,000mph? Would it merely travel backwards, or what?

-Jin
hmm i think the bullet would just drop. Because were talking about distance. and mathmatically when you talk about distance you think absolute values. (absolute values mean all negative numbers are equal to positive numbers.) you think absolute values because you can't travel in a negative distance, any distance you travel HAS to be positive. So 2000-1000=-1000 [1000]. So my guess is it would either drop or go a positive distance backwards of 1000.

I think that makes sense.

·
Since 1923
1,909 Posts
ya if you fired a bullet backwards on a train going 2000 miles per hour and the bullet is going 1000 it just wouldnt leave the gun so, it would not come back at yet rather then stay where it origanally was

·
We The People
5,925 Posts
tippmann666 said:
but what would make the bullet leave the barrel, and then go the complete opposite direction?
Hmm, but if it didn't, what would it do? Would it travel in the direction of your motion? In which case the bullet would bust out the back of the gun. I'd believe that it would shoot out the barrel rather than shoot out the back of the gun.

Ahhh, my brain hurts now!! =(

-Jin

·
Registered
2,618 Posts
the gun would blow up in your face or something. you shoot the gun but if the bullet doent move then you have all the pressure from the explosion in the shell behind the bullet so what do you think would happen

·
Let's hug it out
4,506 Posts
Jinjiro said:
Hmm, but if it didn't, what would it do? Would it travel in the direction of your motion? In which case the bullet would bust out the back of the gun. I'd believe that it would shoot out the barrel rather than shoot out the back of the gun.

Ahhh, my brain hurts now!! =(

-Jin
the bullet would move forward because the barrel is only so long, it would leave the barrel but the bullet would act like it's moving forward but it would seem to go backwards because the speed of the train is moving forward also and it's faster. The bullet HAS to move forward because a force is acting upon it, one of newtons laws. But it's speed just doesn't compare to the train. but thats what i think. I haven't taken physics yet so anyone who has already taken it might prove me wrong.

1 - 20 of 29 Posts