Paintball Guns and Gear forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Screaming Koala
4,685 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Two of my friends have new Sony laptops. Not sure what model they are but its one of the core duo models.

Both of them will not detect wireless networks or connect to them.
You can refresh the network list as many times as you want but nothing changes. The wireless is turned on and the little diagnostic tool tells us they're working great.

I installed a copy of netstumbler on one of them and that shows the two networks likes its supposed to.

But windows and the sony utilities refuse to acknowledge any of them exist.

What are we missing?

·
Screaming Koala
4,685 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Possible.

I should add this-

There are two wireless sources- A router and an ad-hoc that also shares a wired internet connection. They're seperare and working.

My laptop connects to all without a problem. We had a compaq that also connected alright.

The Sonys just refuse to notice that there is a network at all. Both of the computers are identical models.

They're not mine and honestly I'm not going to lose any sleep over it. The one kid said he'll call sony tomorrow and see what they have to say.

·
ABCDEFGHIJKLMNOPQRSTFU
5,450 Posts
Go to your network settings properties and then look at your TCP/IP settings. If there are DNS settings on the computer that works, use those numbers for the ones that don't.

Again, I'm not sure at all that this would be it, but it could be. I only think so because new computer obviously don't come with things like that pre-set.

·
Screaming Koala
4,685 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Yes both of them are broadcasting.

Like I said, there are two non sony computers that will detect and connect with no problems.

And then the pair of sonys that refuse to do anything.

·
We The People
5,925 Posts
bobide said:
bad driver? Windows firewall doing something silly?
Most likely the problem. It's obviously a software issue on the laptops, it's just a case of figuring out what exactly it is. Try updating the drivers.

I suppose it could also be a hardware issue, but I doubt it seeing as how they both have the problem.

-Jin

·
Registered
4,779 Posts
if they have sony software and windows software make sure that the windows stuff is totally disabled, let sony's software handle it. It wouldn't be the first time i've seen that be the problem

1 - 10 of 10 Posts