Paintball Guns and Gear forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm buying my first marker in a few days, and it looks like it will be an Tippmann X7 phenom, I do a lot of big field paintballing with lots of shots both short and ridiculously long.

What would be a good barrel upgrade. I don't really like the idea of the straightline, I hear mixed reviews and its not very attractive looking.

Do muzzle breaks make a noticeable difference in recoil or accuracy? How about noise increase/decrease?

And does barrel length do anything for velocity (range)

I am competely open to any suggestions, all I know is that I want something very good and I would like to be able to put an X36 or X7 UMP forgrip on the marker.
(the x36 requires 14" or longer barrels I believe and the X7 UMP probably looks best with 12" or shorter)

·
Registered
2,317 Posts
A few thoughts...

First I'm going to copy/paste a paragraph from a post I made yesterday... Pardon my laziness, but it saves me time.
Riddler said:
You'll be far, far better off with a barrel kit that allows you to interchange control bores than you will be with some oversized, rifled gimmick of a barrel. Slightly underboring your paint increases efficiency as well as shot-to-shot consistency over the chrono, which translates to accuracy. Our so-called .68 caliber paintballs vary in size from brand to brand and batch to batch as widely as .675"-.695", though they've been trending on the small side, at least in my neck of the woods, in recent years. Having the ability to fit the paint to your barrel with a modest 'underbore' every time you play, no matter what field you're at or what make or model of paint you're shooting, is a huge advantage.
As for muzzle brakes, no, they have no bearing on paintball ballistics, recoil, etc. Unless you're adding a specifically-designed loudener or silencer (which is technically illegal besides), a muzzle brake will also not significantly affect shot sound signature.

While barrel length and porting do affect velocity, and velocity does affect range, keep in mind that you always need to chronograph your marker to within field limits before playing, so it's a moot point. Other than the two or three systems that impart minimal amounts of backspin, any given paintball of a given weight fired at a given velocity will travel the same range. It's simple physics.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
A few thoughts...

While barrel length and porting do affect velocity, and velocity does affect range, keep in mind that you always need to chronograph your marker to within field limits before playing, so it's a moot point. Other than the two or three systems that impart minimal amounts of backspin, any given paintball of a given weight fired at a given velocity will travel the same range. It's simple physics.
You've got me there...hard to beat physics ;-) But I guess I was thinking of accuracy (which you covered) and efficiency. With a firearm, a longer barrel (to a point) results in a higher velicity with the same amount of input (powder). I guess I was wondering if a longer paintball barrel did the same with CO2 or if a paintball accelerates quickly then becomes slowed by the extra drag on an unnecessarily long barrel.

I should also mention our local field seems to have no rules on silencers or loudeners (is that a word?)

And you'll laugh at this, but occasionally a stray cow will escape the neighbor's farm and end up in the family garden...when it comes to cows hide, you need ALL the velicity you can get to make them feel it. (a few shots in the rump gets them moving..most of the time, sometimes they've found something really good to eat they just stand there and ignor it) So being able to turn the velocity up to ridiculous levels can be a plus. lol

·
Registered
2,317 Posts
Though there are many factors involved (1-piece barrel vs. 2-piece, length of the control bore if it's a 2-piece barrel, amount of porting, etc.), you typically want no more than a 10-14" barrel, and ideally you want a slight underbore (a reasonably tight paint-to-barrel match ensures that the least amount of air escapes around the ball per shot). A barrel that has too large a bore size for your paint will decrease efficiency much like one that is too long or one that has excessive porting.

But yes, in the end we're all shooting round, gelatin-filled capsules, and the best we can do for our accuracy is get good shot-to-shot consistency via air regulation, and shoot out of a quality barrel with a good paint-barrel match.

·
Premium Member
9,221 Posts
Yeah, if you used unported barrels, you'd find that your velocity would go up QUITE a bit at the same length barrels that are currently used. However, with porting, longer barrels just serve to provide more friction to cause you to lose velocity, since the air dissipates, and therefore stops providing any additional propelling force. That's the reason longer barrels work in firearms, you still have the force expanding, once you have a way for that force to get out, you no longer have the gains in velocity that you do in a closed system.

That and the pressure from exploding gunpowder is WAY higher than that 200-800 psi that a paintball marker has coming through it's valve.

·
Registered
2,317 Posts
indeed... the physics behind the 2-piece barrels are that only the first section (the control bore) even touches the paint. Beyond that, the bore steps up immensely in the second section, which is also typically heavily ported for sound reduction. The entire second section is ultimately extraneous and unnecessary from a physics standpoint and only diminishes efficiency.

Granted, many people (including myself) still choose to shoot one. Everything comes down to personal preference, so shoot what you like!

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I may give one of the CP two pieces a try, or even the kit with 3 backs and 1 forward barrel.

The best local field uses ONLY DXS Field paint...which I'm told is pretty bad stuff. I also can't really find any information as to its typical diamter, so I'm thinking perhaps I will get the smallest and largest of the 5 different backs as well as the middle size.
Would that sound like the safe bet to cover this (and most other paint) or does most field level (cheap to mid grade paint, around here at least) tend to fall into the large/small end of the spectrum, size wise?

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Actually I think I just found the size to be close to the mid point so I may want the 3 middle backs for this paint.

But the general question about most field paints falling toward the small or large end of the size spectrum would still be usefull info for me.

·
Registered
2,317 Posts
CP makes a good product. As for paint sizes, you may want to ask the field (or some of the regulars there) how their paint trends in terms of size.

In my neck of the woods, everything's been on the small side lately.

·
Paintball?
7,646 Posts
DXS makes varying levels of paint, from very cheap to uber expensive and amazingly round and sweet shooting
While the low quality stuff is cheap, they do tend to be of a lesser quality

You can either pay more for a better quality paint, or just shoot the cheap stuff
:)

1 - 11 of 11 Posts