Paintball Guns and Gear forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Now I picked up a project salvo a year back and slapped a J&J on it which has performed excelently. Seeing that it was a 20 inch I decided to go for a shorter barrel although the j&j really had 16" of barrel and the rest was heavy porting and of larger diameter than the barrel's start. I was curious if a straight rifled barrel might actually lower turbulence via the gas escaping a bit around the paintball and also possibly just lower the spin on the balls a tiny, tiny bit if not next to null (I know its liquid inside, but why not be optimistic, maybe its the holy paintball barrel). I found one for $35 so I'm interested. I know a j&j will perform for 2 bucks less, but I'm curious to see if it might give me a slight edge on other 16" barrels. Also I'm not worrying about using more gas as I get 1000 full power shots.
http://www.amazon.com/Alpha-Raptor-Tactical-Rifled-Barrel/dp/B003BM72ZK/ref=sr_1_3?s=sporting-goods&ie=UTF8&qid=1309315224&sr=1-3

·
Registered
3,032 Posts
The rifling doesn't make a difference either spiraled or straight. It has been kicked around for years and the rationale behind the rifling changes a bit every year. The rifling either spins the ball or allows the air to escape evenly or it counters the natural tendency of the ball to want to spin and so on and so on. In practice rifling doesn't do anything at all in paintball. That isn't to say that there aren't some high quality barrels out there with rifling but whether the barrel is rifled or straight has no affect on the overall accuracy.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Alright, thanks for the information. Since the accuracy is probably identical, I was wondering if the rifled's screw end is a feature worth two dollars more.

·
Registered
3,032 Posts
That's for adding barrel tips like muzzle breaks and flash suppressors and other cosmetic things. Personally I think those are kind of fun and for the extra money it is a nice feature to have just for the look.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts