Paintball Guns and Gear forums banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
956 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well, I'm currently driving a 2000 impala, which seems to be unreliable as mess and I really just don't like it. My dad and I were just talking and it seems that he'll buy me a new car, as long as he approves. I really want something thats small, with good gas milage but is also fast. He's already said no to a celica, eclipse, and a prelude, and a maybe to a mazda miata.

I'm pretty sure he wants me to get a european car, but I personally can't see myself driving around in a nice BMW, I'd be too scared to mess it up. Which is why I come to you, PBF, for some advice.

·
Registered
1,508 Posts
Saab? my mom has a 9-3. It gets great gas mileage, has a 2.0L turbo engine, and its European. Also one of the safest cars you could drive at the time it was manufactured. Just an idea. Also old(er) on BMW's: If you get one and you're a good (responsible) driver, you cant go wrong.

edit: and the Saab shouldn't be too outrageously priced.

edit edit: i just thought of a Volkswagen jetta maybe?

·
Registered
1,508 Posts
HomE SkiLLeT said:
I think I've found what I want. An Acura Integra. I know they're supposedly just expensive hondas, but it seems to accomodate what I've been looking for, except for it being front wheel drive.
alright cool, as long as it satisfies your needs and you take good care of it, any car should last you a long time.

·
Registered
956 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
DaBluedevil said:
Only thing with older bmw's, if something does go wrong(it will), your gonna have to pay an arm and a leg to get parts.
Yeah I know, my mom's driving a 96 318i and something broke on it once (can't remember what), but it cost like $400 to fix.

As far as the integra goes, I wouldn't rice it or anything. The most would just be some audio and maybe some rims.

·
Registered
1,161 Posts
i was gonna suggest a new civic. My buddy has the basic 140hp civic vtec with a 5spd and its actually a real nice car (daily driver of course) for the price.

his vtec kicks in at 5400, so we just cruise in 1st gear at 5400rpms, we're jackasses. lol

·
Premium Member
13,027 Posts
You can make LS Teggys pretty quick as well.

Why did he say no to a Prelude? It's no doubt one of the best Hondas ever built. Sure parts are more expensive for them but it's actually a solid car and dosen't literally fall apart like a Civic.

They aren't real fast unless it's an H22. I/H/E with an H22 should put you in low-mid 14's. Maybe high 13's if you're lucky.

You could also look into a 240sx.

·
Banned
11 Posts
PT Cruisers are decent, I dunno how fast to you is fast, but they come off the line with something like 15h0hp, and the torque to match it. I didn't like them at first, but after being around them for a while, they look cool.

The civic is an all around good choice. Again, what's fast mean to you? The accords have always been dependable(AFAIK, but I don't know much except my friend's experiences) and pretty cheap to fix.

And if you want the integra, go for it. I think they'll satisfy all the things you're looking for, and they are damn cool looking to boot.

·
Registered
6,346 Posts
neons are pretty good cars, my friend has one and it handles nice. if your pops is looking into English cars I'd want to say mini coupe but im not sure how much they cost and if alto would he be willing to put that money into one.

·
Premium Member
13,027 Posts
kenny_1491 said:
neons are pretty good cars, my friend has one and it handles nice. if your pops is looking into English cars I'd want to say mini coupe but im not sure how much they cost and if alto would he be willing to put that money into one.
Neons handle like ****.

If you want a good handling car, get a Prelude. It's the best handling FWD car made.

Obviously theres some RWD cars that can outhandle it. But believe it or not the Prelude handles better than the Porsche 944 and I believe the 911 as well.

·
Registered
6,346 Posts
1337 said:
Neons handle like ****.

If you want a good handling car, get a Prelude. It's the best handling FWD car made.

Obviously theres some RWD cars that can outhandle it. But believe it or not the Prelude handles better than the Porsche 944 and I believe the 911 as well.
i haven't driven it personally but from what i can see of it it handles decent.

·
Registered
1,161 Posts
i agree you should get a neon, i got this neon ad right off of dodge's website:

·
Banned
11 Posts
hmm..

the numerous SCCA Solo I and Solo II awards/trophies that neons have won would disagree with your assessment of the cars "poor" handling.

I'm not saying it's the best handling car ever, but in it's class, it kicks some decent ass, apparantly. Of course, I'm not entirely sure what class of cars it belongs to, so I don't know what exactly that assessment means. But among similar cars, it's a good choice.

·
Banned
11 Posts
yeah I agree with the import. Good MPG, good reliability, cheap parts. And with the crazy modding community surrounding them, I'm sure you can get something decently set up to sate your ego at least. Any serious musclecar will always give you a run for your money/beat you, but that doesn't mean you can't make your car quick enough to satisfy your "go" need!

·
Registered
1,161 Posts
hsilman said:
hmm..

the numerous SCCA Solo I and Solo II awards/trophies that neons have won would disagree with your assessment of the cars "poor" handling.

I'm not saying it's the best handling car ever, but in it's class, it kicks some decent ass, apparantly. Of course, I'm not entirely sure what class of cars it belongs to, so I don't know what exactly that assessment means. But among similar cars, it's a good choice.
it probably does outhandle all the cars in its class. Im guessing the class is compact cars for under 25,000$. Cars in that class include some real crappy handling cars. My sisters 04 civic and my buds 06 civic handle like absolute crap. The body and suspension feels like it twists so much.

im sorry if i seem like a neon basher. The only guy i know with a neon is a complete tool. His uncle died and left him a fortune. So he bought a new srt4 and dumped over 50,000$ into it. Im sorry but who would put that much money into a neon? for that much id get a sti. So yea cause of that i typically dont like the whole neon tuner thing

·
Registered
12 Posts
No dude, you've got it all wrong. Why get a Neon, when you can have one of these?

17 second 1/4 mile times never looked so bad.

An added benefit, upon buying a Camaro, you enjoy the privledge of sharing the same name as the unanimously ugliest redesign of the Big 3's old musclecars (the Mustang, the Camaro, and the Challenger).

I'll defend that Neon the best way I can.

1) The hood is carbon fiber. The reason you replace body panels with carbon fiber parts is for weight savings, and when using an aftermarket hood you cannot retain the stock hood latch. Thus the need for hood pins.
2) The car was originally an R/T, which comes stock with racing stipes.
3) The front bumper was probably chosen for it's opening in the front, allowing more air to hit the intercooler. I know that's why I chose mine, I can only assume this person did the same. I could be wrong.

Buy what you want. If you want to go old school, you could look at the 3000GT VR4 or it's domestic cousin, the Stealth TT. You could even look into the 300ZX turbo.

·
Registered
12 Posts
lol, I didn't see that Rick explained his reason for hating neons before I posted my Camaro thing. I guess I feel the same way - all the Camaro owners i know are either old and have mullets, or are young and cocky with a superiority complex. One of the reasons I enjoy having a neon is because they get pissed when my Neon blows by their LS1.

Either way, I don't hate any vehicle out there. I have a strong distaste for building Metros or Tempos, but other than that everything is pretty fair game.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts