Paintball Guns and Gear forums banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
I Vore You
13,323 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Alright, my current computer is complete balls.

I got an AIM virus back in the day and now I get pop ups like crazy. I use firefox, and the whole window changes. It pisses me off a lot.

I've decided to get something new, preferably for under a G.

I've been interested in iMacs, just because I think they are neat. As far as I know, there are no viruses for them, and that makes me happy.

I'll be using this computer mainly for internet, maybe some gaming, and typing stuff. If I get a Mac, I may look into editing video and stuff like that, but I'm not too concerned with that.

If anyone has any suggestions on a new comp, or knows how I can fix my current one, let me hear them.

·
V8 Interceptor
2,125 Posts
Barber said:
As far as I know, there are no viruses for them, and that makes me happy.
Nope, mac's aren't compatible with most computer viruses.... thumup:
In case you run into problems, they even supply you with a small Emergency tool, in the shape of a Ball Peen hammer.

·
Registered
2,162 Posts
well, first off i would reformat my computer if i was you (deletes and cleans your drive of any viruses) than, i would see how well ur comp works... usually if a comp hasnt been reformated in a while, it will run A LOT better after u do so. If it still doesnt meet your liking, i would either go with a custom build (can get soem nice stuff for around 800) or go with a dell. Im not knowledgable with macs so i wont even talk about them. Or if you are into laptops you could look into those.

We need more info to help you out.
Basically to start off, you looking for a desktop/laptop?
Would/Could you build your own custom rig? If not, u wanna buy on premade yes?

·
We The People
5,925 Posts
DJS2 said:
or go with a dell.
Please don't.

Save anything you want to keep on a flash drive or a CD, format you computer, reinstall WinXP, download Service Pack 2, download Firefox, make sure you have a firewall up (whether it be the Windows one or Zone Alarm or whatever), and see how that works. You can use AVG for a virus scanner, as well as Ad-Aware & Spybot for other nasty crap, but assuming you have SP2 and Firefox and a Firewall, you shouldn't need any of those.

-Jin

·
Registered
2,162 Posts
Jinjiro said:
Please don't.

Save anything you want to keep on a flash drive or a CD, format you computer, reinstall WinXP, download Service Pack 2, download Firefox, make sure you have a firewall up (whether it be the Windows one or Zone Alarm or whatever), and see how that works. You can use AVG for a virus scanner, as well as Ad-Aware & Spybot for other nasty crap, but assuming you have SP2 and Firefox and a Firewall, you shouldn't need any of those.

-Jin
I would lovee to know why. Ive never owned one myself, but i know people who have, and there customer service has been decent (besides wait time) and they make cheap yet quality products. Sure they are inferior with a few products they stick in there but most companies are and you get what you pay for..

I dont wanna make this a debate though :( In my opinion if u cant build a custom rig and u arent going to go with a mac, dell would be a decent alternative to look at. they usually have specials on their site making their deals somewhat worth it.

·
We The People
5,925 Posts
DJS2 said:
I would lovee to know why. Ive never owned one myself, but i know people who have, and there customer service has been decent (besides wait time) and they make cheap yet quality products. Sure they are inferior with a few products they stick in there but most companies are and you get what you pay for..

I dont wanna make this a debate though :( In my opinion if u cant build a custom rig and u arent going to go with a mac, dell would be a decent alternative to look at. they usually have specials on their site making their deals somewhat worth it.
Well, I own a Dell laptop that has proven to be less than spectacular. Sure the price was nice, but the frustration it has caused me makes me wonder whether I should have went an alternate route.

Customer service for me has been terrible. Ignoring the long wait times and terribly broken English, I've found that they don't really know what they're talking about most of the times. I had an issue with a fan making loud noises, and they tried telling me to re-seat the hard drive and RAM...because they have so many moving parts and all. :dodgy:

Their products are cheap. That's one thing I can't argue - they have great deals. I feel Dell is great for those people who just want a cheap computer, and who have the mindset of "when it breaks I'll just buy a new one."

Personally, if you can't build your own, I highly recommend buying local. You'll be able to talk to a real person (who speaks English), get support whenever you need it, and they'll stand behind their product - they have a reputation to maintain. Also, you'll keep your money in your community.

-Jin

·
Registered
2,618 Posts
well i have a dell that is still running today just as good as 6years ago when i got it and it has been on about 24/7 for like 5 of those 6 years. And i have an older the that still works. i would never try to use there customer service it is crap.

And the computer i built had an ok mother board that went out after 3 years lol long time but still the dell keeps working

·
Registered
920 Posts
As, Jin said, first, try to reformat. Then, if that doesnt work, I would suggest building your own. Seriously, a Monkey with half a brain could put a computer together. Everything goes in one spot and one way, just be gentle. The only hard part is setting up software, and if you can figure out how to reformat then it will be a sinch.

Or if you cant do that for one reason or another, i'd follow jin's suggestion of buying one local, it may cost a bit more, but it would be well worth it.

·
I Vore You
13,323 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I'm gonna see if my buddy will let me use his flashdrive to save all my music, then I'll try to reformat this computer and see how well it goes.

·
startx: command not found
3,991 Posts
Charger said:
well i have a dell that is still running today just as good as 6years ago when i got it and it has been on about 24/7 for like 5 of those 6 years. And i have an older the that still works. i would never try to use there customer service it is crap.

And the computer i built had an ok mother board that went out after 3 years lol long time but still the dell keeps working
My dell died about a month after the service contract ended. I'd turn it on, get a giant DELL screen with an earth behind it, and it would lock up from there, no beeps, no bios access, no information. However, the hard drive works just fine, still using that today in my mom's office computer.

I'm a tech at our school and we have laptop carts (Computers on Wheels, aka COWs). 3 out of 6 are Dell Latitude carts. They're always having issues, while the Gateway carts rarely have a problem. I'm not a fan of either company, but Gateway seems to be the winner in our network.

·
V8 Interceptor
2,125 Posts
I once saw a friend of mine's brothers Dell XP's HDD melt about a month after purchasing.

Also, there's a reason Dell has award winning 24/7 Customer Service... They desperately need it thumup:

·
I Vore You
13,323 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
I have a Dell right now, and I was rather unhappy with it.

Their customer service was alright.. they gave me a new harddrive for free, but I had to talk to an asian woman speaking ****ty english for 6 hours to get it.

·
V8 Interceptor
2,125 Posts
Damn skippy. The entire hub for Technical Support pertaining to Dell is based in India, I believe.

·
I Vore You
13,323 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Lowtryx said:
Damn skippy. The entire hub for Technical Support pertaining to Dell is based in India, I believe.

I had to go through so much **** to get my computer working again it was horrible.

The woman made me take my computer apart, unplug and plug in the same wire like 12 times before she told me my harddrive was broken.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts