Paintball Guns and Gear forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
hey i just got a new flame drop forward for my ion, but i just have the stock asa. do i need an on/off asa for it to fit?

·
Let's hug it out
4,506 Posts
return the drop. They promote incorrect form. since your tank will be against your shoulder, the drop will make your gun taller thus giving people a new target. ALso you'll have to cock your wrist backwards to make a Z shape with your arm.

·
Registered
6,346 Posts
If he sits the drop like he is supposed to it won't promote bad form, but it will be very very uncomfortable, and no you don't NEED an on/off but I highly suggest you go on and get one.

·
Let's hug it out
4,506 Posts
it is incorrect form...it's understandable if you have shorter arms but the problem is your marker is now raised...either way you will still have a Z shaped arm, and it would cock your wrist backwards

look at that picture, notice his wrist. not only would that be uncomfortable but he would be shooting slower as well. Your muscles pull each other and that goes from the digits to the carpals to the fore-arm. Now cocking the carpals back, the muscles and tendons to help the digits aren't relaxed enough to help speed the movement of the fingers.

now compare that picture to nicky cuba

look at how much more relaxed his arm/wrist is. The fingers will the get the support from the other muscles help pull the trigger.

ever wondered why pro paintballers don't use drops? well there ya go

think about it like buying new shocks for your car that aren't race quality...They ruin your car because you're overlowering the car so you lose handleing...so your paying money to lose performance

edit- more reasons
Drops do allow you to hold the marker closer to your body and this can help you play tighter but they have some cons:

1)They make the marker taller. If you shoot with your marker strait up and down and not tilted to the side to hide your hopper behind a bunker this means the hopper is higher in the air and therefore harder to keep in cover, therefore more likely to be shot. If you shoot your marker tilted to the side you'll notice the extra height raises the center of gravity of the marker. Also because it is taller it is more difficult to sight down your barrel and you'll have to keep your head up rather than tuck your chin in. Throat protecters became widely available at paintball stores around the time that drops were envogue...just realized that now.

2)They may throw your marker off balance depending on the marker and size of drop. Most markers are balanced just behind the trigger when you throw on a tank and a hopper. A drop will bring a lot of the weight from the tank forward. So when your running, diving, getting lit up or whatever distracts you from handling your marker it may fall out of your hand easier. Reloading while shooting may also be more difficult. But smaller drops combined with larger capacity tanks will actually put the marker back in balance.

3)They add weight. And you know paintballer's won't stop demanding weight reduction until their $1,200 set ups can actually be lost in a gust of wind.

4)Bad hand positioning. Ideally you want to be able to fit your wrist in the space between the tank and the grip. This keeps your forearm from having to wrap around the tank thus providing a larger target for the opposition. A drop makes this impossible. The reason why so many people are going for the ASA/rail set up is because both the ASA's and the tank regulators are getting smaller and smaller. The rail helps create some space inbetween the tank and grip.

5)Looks. Some people just don't like them. One of the things that really killed the drop was the styles companies came out with just as players were realizing all these cons. They had all of these fancy milled designs in the shape of flames and sharks and all kinds of unnessessary crap. But now that I think about it...a direct mount milled to look like a spider holding your tank in place would be pretty sweet. The abdomen or head could be the on/off knob

·
Let's hug it out
4,506 Posts
i argued looks because it's just icing on a piece of cake to finish off after my stronger arguments.

When weight shifts from the back to the front then while reloading it'll be harder...you'd either have to put more weight down to the heel of your hand to keep the gun pointing at opponents while shooting and reloading or you put your gun down all together.

The gun will be higher if using the same shooting form. Chances are people are going to rest the tank on the shoulder. If you rest the tank on the shoulder while using a drop then the gun and hopper are raised another 2 or 3 inches.

if you want to talk about the muscles cuba is using then look at his forearm as well. With his set up, sure it's alright to notice the tighter grip on the trigger frame, but also look at his grip on his inline regulator, still strong. You can see that it's not only gripping the weight, but he's also tense seeing that he's going in to bunker somebody and he's fighting the little recoil his marker is giving him. Besides seeing that his ego weighs almost nothing because that's how those high priced markers are, you can tell that the grip is not all because of the weight.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts