Paintball Guns and Gear forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Imperator
19,071 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
My brother and I are thinking about getting notebook sized laptops for school. He has his tablet PC, but it's a little large and fragile for carrying in a backpack. Therefore, he want to give that to our mother and get a smaller and more durable one for himself. I just want one because my laptop is too big to carry around and it would be nice to surf PBF...er..I mean...take notes...in class.:)

It wont be used for any real gaming, just internet, e-mail, Microsoft office, and playing DVD's on long car rides.

So what do you guys reccomend?

This is my list of features I want:

1. DVD/CD writer drive
2. Windows operating system with Office 2007
3. A fingerprint scanner (I have this on my home PC and love it)
4. Built in LAN/bluetooth (built in WAN would be neat too)
5. Built in camera (not really neccisary, but nice to have)
6. Built in reader for SD cards
7. Needs to be durable enough for carrying everyday

For price, we would like to keep it around $600-$800 a piece, but I'll go up to $1,000 each, if that's what it takes for quality.

Any ideas? I was going to take a ride over to Best Buy tomorrow and look around.

Edit: I forgot to mention. My current laptop has a 1.99Ghz AMD Athlon 64 3200+ processor with 512MB of Ram...so as long as it's as fast as that or faster I don't really care about the speed. I like AMD processors, but it seems like Intel has the faster stuff out now, so I don't really care about the type of processor either.

·
Imperator
19,071 Posts
Discussion Starter #4

·
Imperator
19,071 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Feels very durable. I dont have a spiral notebook but here it is with an 8 1/2 x 11 sheet of paper.
That's about the size a was looking for, that's good to know. Looking on the HP website, they don't seem to have that exact model. However, they have a similar model called the DV2500t. It seems to use the same stuff, or better...however it's weird that, what seems like the better computer, would have a lower number. (DV2500 vs DV2660)

On a side note, does anyone make a small laptop with discrete graphics that fits most of my criteria? I hate integrated graphics, but it seems like a separate graphics setup won't fit in the smaller laptops.

·
Registered
3,524 Posts
Yeah mines the dv2660se. comes with 2gigs of ram, expandable to 4, which is amazing, and 250gb hdd. that basically sold it for me. then i get it home and its got a remote and all kinds of other **** i didnt even look at.

·
Imperator
19,071 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Yeah mines the dv2660se. comes with 2gigs of ram, expandable to 4, which is amazing, and 250gb hdd. that basically sold it for me. then i get it home and its got a remote and all kinds of other **** i didnt even look at.
The only thing that's stopping me from picking that one is the processor. It's a bit slow compared to others in that price range. I'd like to stay as fast as my current laptop or faster, and plenty of other similar models have a 2.0-2.2GHz processor.

It's amazing how hard buying a computer is. So many different features and you can never seem to get all the ones you want, especially for a good price.

·
Registered
920 Posts
That one will be as fast as your old computer, even if its a bit slower, because it's dual core. While it will only be a little bit faster if your only doing one thing, say just surfing PBF, but once you start doing more than one thing at a time is where it will really shine.

·
Registered
3,524 Posts
yeah i pretty much constantly have photoshop, illustrator, vegas etc running simultaneously without any problems.

dont you wish you could build what you want like you can with a desktop? that way you get just what you want.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts