Paintball Guns and Gear forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
3,281 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Alright, I've been a consistant lifter for several years, but my workouts have been pretty random in content. I want to start getting into a solid routine but didnt really know where to start. I looked around and came up with something like this.

4-Day Split:

Pre-work out:
5mg Creatine
Stretching
1/2 Mile Jog

Post-work out:
1/2 Mile Jog
5mg Creatine
Whey Protien
Multi-Vitamin/ZMA / NO
-------------------------------------------

Chest/Biceps(Monday)

Incline DB press 4x8
Decline BB press 4x6
DB Flyes 4x8
Dips- Failure
BB Curls 4x8
Preacher Curls 4x6
DB Bicep Curls 4x8

Pushups- Failure

(future alternatives: Incline DB curls, Hammer Curls, Spider Curls)

Legs/Abs (Tuesday)

Squats 4x8
Front/Zercher Squats 4x8
Leg Press 4x8
Seated Calf Press 4x15
Stiff-Leg Deadlifts 4x8

Other Ab exercises

(future alternatives: add lunges)

Rest (Wensday)
Cardio

Shoulders/ Triceps/ Forearms (Thursday)

EZ-Bar Lying Skullcrushers 3 x 8 reps
V-Bar Tricep Pushdown 4x8
Tricep Dips- Failure
DB Shrugs 3x15
BB Shrugs 3x6
Military DB Press 4x8
Wrist BB curls 3x8 3x8

Supermans

(alternate forearm: Reverse Preacher Curls, Behind the Back BB Raises)

Back/Traps (Friday)

Deadlifts 4x6
Rows? 4x6
Pulldowns 4x8
Lat Pulls 4x8
Front DB Raises 4x8
Side DB Lateral Raises 4x8



Rest (Saturday)
Rest (Sunday)


I am really new to the whole concept of a split, and I really have a very limited scope of exercises, so I am sure that this is faaar from perfect. Any comments/advice/suggestions? This is hopefull for bulking.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
849 Posts
good

i have found that if you use the SAME workout(s) for a muscle, it will only go so big, then stop

this is what happened to me

i need to switch it up more, like u r

good stuff
 

·
Gates Boxing Club
Joined
·
7,065 Posts
they stop getting bigger only if you stop adding more weight (or if youre freakin huge) not if you keep doing the same excercises. sometimes switching may make you think you worked out better, but that's just because you're working a different less-worked area of muscles than before by doing different excercises.

nice program bz, but dont you think you should try to get atleast 10 reps on some of those? 6 and 8 just seems a little low, unless youre half power lifting, half bodybuilding
 

·
i play for keeps
Joined
·
7,001 Posts
looks pretty good. darn good actually.

for the pre/post workout though, the 5mg creatine dosages should be taken one when you wake up, and one in the afternoon, preferably RIGHT after your workout.

and fit forearms into your back/traps day. unless you have straps, youll want to do them at the end of that workout, because deadlifts(mostly), and pull ups/downs and rows all stress the forearm, and you dont want to have just worked out that muscle.


other then that, gorgeous
 

·
Cunning Linguist
Joined
·
2,273 Posts
Spudchucker said:
they stop getting bigger only if you stop adding more weight (or if youre freakin huge) not if you keep doing the same excercises. sometimes switching may make you think you worked out better, but that's just because you're working a different less-worked area of muscles than before by doing different excercises.

nice program bz, but dont you think you should try to get atleast 10 reps on some of those? 6 and 8 just seems a little low, unless youre half power lifting, half bodybuilding
When you start a new lifting program, you generally see a lot of gains very quickly, then it starts coming more slowly. This is because at the beginning, you are training both your muscle fibres and the neural pathways that operate them.

Your muscles are basically learning to perform that action, so as they learn to perform it more efficiently, you see quick gains. You aren't really becoming that much stronger in a dynamic sense, just that you can perform that particular motion with the particular muscle more effectively as a result of practice.

This is why you are supposed to switch up your routines. In order to develop strength on a more dynamic level, you need your muscles to be able to perform a variety of movements with strength, not just one specific movement.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
849 Posts
Angered Fists said:
When you start a new lifting program, you generally see a lot of gains very quickly
yea


when i first started working out, i went into school gym and worked out 4 out of 5 days (sometimes the whole 5) and i worked out like crazy

MASSIVE muscle growth very quickly

shocks muscles or something like that
 

·
Cunning Linguist
Joined
·
2,273 Posts
N8ive_Snoborder said:
yea


when i first started working out, i went into school gym and worked out 4 out of 5 days (sometimes the whole 5) and i worked out like crazy

MASSIVE muscle growth very quickly

shocks muscles or something like that
You clearly didn't even read what I said because the initial increase in strength has nothing to do with muscle growth.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
50 Posts
I'm no expert but we used to do this in football.....

Bench press
sets of 12,10,8,6,4,3,1,10
then after a few months it would be 5sets of 5(heavy weight) then we would go back to the 1st routine after a few months.
 

·
i play for keeps
Joined
·
7,001 Posts
Fire&advance said:
I'm no expert but we used to do this in football.....

Bench press
sets of 12,10,8,6,4,3,1,10
then after a few months it would be 5sets of 5(heavy weight) then we would go back to the 1st routine after a few months.
if high school coaches implemented better lifting programs, thered be bigger and stronger high school players everywhere
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
44 Posts
my highschool has a lfting routine consisting of a split like the one mentioned above except we do switch between sets of 10x3 8x3 and 5,3,2,1 and max days so the muscle is stimulated and "shocked" as you all put it te above workout is great as long as the routine is changed up occasionally and as far as reps those are perfect for muscle bulk and power
 
1 - 12 of 12 Posts
Top