Paintball Guns and Gear forums banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello!

After many years off from paintball (late 90's early 2000's) I am jumping back into the sport... The last time I played Angels were the top of the line electronic marker out, and most people rocked autocockers and the only choice of apparel was JT. It's kind of sad to see the sport where it is now with regard to so many companies shutting down (Thanks GOG!). The newsstands use to have at least half a dozen paintball magazines, and I remember paintball being on TV fairly regularly.

Any ways, I am looking for a barrel kit and have always loved J&J barrels from before, and was thinking of going with their Elite barrel kit (10,12, 14 or 12,14,16). I 95% of the time play with the 14 inch, but may buy an Apex2 adapter and front end to put on the 10/12 for when I'm bored). I realize my stock barrel is more than fine, but being that most of the local fields require field paint only, and the fact I live in a VERY HUMID state, I wanted something I could tailor the day's paint to.

I've looked at the Bob Long, Super Freak kits, Empire kits, Tech T, and the Deadly winds Fibur X, and for the price I can't seem to find anything better than the J&J.

Am I missing anything with going with the J&J?

Equipment list so far:
o Marker: Bob Long G6R Tactical (without the stock and rails), it isn’t as sexy as a milled G6R, but at $525,.00 new, it was hard to pass up
o Hopper: Empire Z2
o Mask: Empire Eflex… I loved the JT ProFlex from playing a decade ago, but the quick change lenses are awesome on the Empire!
o Tank: Ninja 68/4500 with SLP Pro V2 reg.
o Pants: Exalt Thrasher V3
o Jersey: HK Hardline
o Pack: Critical Paintball 3+4
o Knee/elbow pads (probably going Exalt, but want to try on a couple different brands.

Thanks guys! I love the forum. Not as large as some of the others, but after reading for the last 2 weeks, there are some definite diehards here with lots of sage advice.

·
Banned
14,001 Posts
no you are not missing anything, the J&J kits are one of the most recommended on here. I own one (elite) and if I remember right either miller or martix owns one as well. recently I have been having a few issues with mine for some reason not wanting to work on my etek but I seem to be the only one with this issue and have not figured out what exactly is causing it yet

the other kit that many of us use is the deadly winds fibur, the fibur X is the replacement for it, basically the only difference is they replaced the back of it so you can swap threads out if you have multiple markers with different threads

the two largest differences between the two are the weight, the fibur is ridiculously light and self cleaning ability, like all J&J barrels the kit self cleans very well. I love both kits (hence why I have them both) I typically play with the fibur becasue I love how light it is, If you do end up with the fibur, one tip, dont get the 16", 14" is the longest length that will fit in the freak case

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks a lot for the affirmation. I'm pretty much set on the J&J, unless I stumble across a cheap freak/Fibur X kit.

·
Super Moderator
3,802 Posts
no you are not missing anything, the J&J kits are one of the most recommended on here. I own one (elite) and if I remember right either miller or martix owns one as well. recently I have been having a few issues with mine for some reason not wanting to work on my etek but I seem to be the only one with this issue and have not figured out what exactly is causing it yet

the other kit that many of us use is the deadly winds fibur, the fibur X is the replacement for it, basically the only difference is they replaced the back of it so you can swap threads out if you have multiple markers with different threads

the two largest differences between the two are the weight, the fibur is ridiculously light and self cleaning ability, like all J&J barrels the kit self cleans very well. I love both kits (hence why I have them both) I typically play with the fibur becasue I love how light it is, If you do end up with the fibur, one tip, dont get the 16", 14" is the longest length that will fit in the freak case
i've got the elite. its my go to, except when i need to look agg and make my barrel match my marker.

i do have the fibur too, use that mainly on my pump just due to my cocker weighing a ton.

·
Registered
2,317 Posts
I'll be honest - I don't see much point in barrel kits on open-bolt guns, especially efficient ones like a G6R.

Don't get me wrong - I absolutely recommend them on closed-bolt markers ('cockers, pumps, etc.) both for roll-out prevention as well as efficiency gains on pumps with small air tanks, especially stock class configurations.

There's just not much of anything to be gained by applying a kit to an open-bolt semi.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I'll be honest - I don't see much point in barrel kits on open-bolt guns, especially efficient ones like a G6R.

Don't get me wrong - I absolutely recommend them on closed-bolt markers ('cockers, pumps, etc.) both for roll-out prevention as well as efficiency gains on pumps with small air tanks, especially stock class configurations.

There's just not much of anything to be gained by applying a kit to an open-bolt semi.
Because you don't buy into overbore/underbore matching?

My Bob long barrel is a .685, so it will prolly do perfectly fine for 90% of the situations I will encounter. I'm more concerned about the humid summer, and cold winters we get in PA, and having to use wonky field grade paint. I'll be honest in saying I'm new to the whole bore matching concept, and am not totally sold on overboring vs. underboring.

·
Registered
2,317 Posts
Because you don't buy into overbore/underbore matching?
Again, I absolutely buy into underboring on closed-bolt markers.

I just don't think the quantifiable gains - that is to say, a slight increase in efficiency - justify the expense/hassle of the utilization of a kit on an open-bolt marker with presumably a sizable constant air tank, especially one that's already pretty efficient. Just toss one barrel at the gun that is a constant overbore and call it a day, IMO.

·
Super Moderator
3,802 Posts
Again, I absolutely buy into underboring on closed-bolt markers.

I just don't think the quantifiable gains - that is to say, a slight increase in efficiency - justify the expense/hassle of the utilization of a kit on an open-bolt marker with presumably a sizable constant air tank, especially one that's already pretty efficient. Just toss one barrel at the gun that is a constant overbore and call it a day, IMO.
yes and no. if you're playing short games where you can refill in between each yeah, it doesn't make a huge difference. but if you're playing long drawn out games, it makes a diff. tournament ballers need ever bit of air too

·
Registered
2,317 Posts
yes and no. if you're playing short games where you can refill in between each yeah, it doesn't make a huge difference. but if you're playing long drawn out games, it makes a diff. tournament ballers need ever bit of air too
to be fair, you're talking about the potential difference of like 100 shots on a fill.

i don't really want to play a game in which people need to carry and shoot 1500+ balls.

·
Registered
2,317 Posts
big games? like LL or Dday?
...are something I will never play because I don't think find that style of play fun. at. all. There's absolutely nothing individual, strategic or remotely rewarding about a game based entirely on which team composed of an obscene number of players can put more paint in the air.

·
Premium Member
9,221 Posts
...are something I will never play because I don't think find that style of play fun. at. all. There's absolutely nothing individual, strategic or remotely rewarding about a game based entirely on which team composed of an obscene number of players can put more paint in the air.
I have to agree. No desire to play them, played a few smaller big games when I was younger, and just not fun.

·
Banned
14,001 Posts
There's absolutely nothing individual, strategic or remotely rewarding about a game based entirely on which team composed of an obscene number of players can put more paint in the air.
I can not express to you how utterly wrong this statement is after playing D day.

I played on the German side and we were always outnumbered, if anything putting paint in the air wildly was discouraged, we were told to conserve and that sure came in handy. If we went out there and just started slinging paint at anything that moved we would have eventually been overrun by the allies. Strategic? even during the week, when the games are not even scored we were keeping an eye on the allied units that we knew we would be going up against on Saturday, seeing how they played a certain section of the field, what their strengths were their weaknesses. While walking through camp we would always be counting tanks to make sure we had an accurate count for the big game. I will be one to say that pro level speedball has a lot of strategy in it but that was nothing compared to D day, when you only have 1 shot at it you put a lot more planning and effort into it. Individual? At one point on the friday game me and one other player found a good spot to do a dead mans walk (perfectly legal per the rules) we tried it, took out 4 AT guys before we were shot. After respawning I told our XO what we had found, he sent a group of guys back to that same spot and we pushed the allies back because of it. Any paintball game is as individual as you make it

I cant express to you how rewarding that whole experience was, we made some amazing friends and besides my honeymoon it was the best trip I have ever been on. I was on the field for 8 hours on the saturday game (ate lunch in a DZ even) I was sweating more than I ever have, had more welts on me than I ever have and at the end of the day we found out we had won by 5 points, the closest margin of victory in the history of the game by a LOOOOOONG shot (a few hundred point difference for D day is considered a close game) you could say we won because of any one player on the field with the game that close. With the 352 we like to say our shenanigans won us the game as a prank we played on the allies ended up giving them penalty points. Literally having fun won us the game, how is that not rewarding?

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #17 (Edited)
Thank you for all the replys!

I ended up buying a used Smart Parts FREAK kit (old style) off of eBay. I normally detest all things GOG related, but the deal was too good to pass up.

ETA: DANG IT! My smart parts FREAK kit just arrived, and it Durant thread into my G6R. I think the seller sent an ION kit instead..... frustrated I'm going to waste the shipping money, but just ordered the J&j kit from rockstar tactical like I should have in the first place.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts