Paintball Guns and Gear forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Okay, a group of friends and I (about 8 of us starting it off) are planning on doing some Woodsball about twice a month. I've been reading up on markers and paintballing in general for about 2-3 days. With the help of this site (thanks for the new player sticky thread) and numerous others, I think I've come to a decision on my starting marker. I'd just like to get a little feedback from the gurus here incase I've missed something or I'm overdoing things.

Let me say that the group I'll be playing with all all adults (or so they keep telling us) and they're apparently going "all-out" with their guns. For instance, I know that 3 of the guys have already ordered their x-7's. I liked those but they seem a expensive for the base model. Also, my good friend just bought an Ariakon Sim 5. I wanted and needed something to compete with these. Here's what I've decided.

Tippman A-5
Flatline Barrel System
E-Grip
SPECIAL OPS - A-5A2 EZ KIT
Last but not least, I will paint the entire system (much like I do for turkey hunting)

I'm hoping thats enough to level the playing field but any suggestions, ideas, or critiques are welcome.

·
Registered
5,080 Posts
I'd skip the EZ kit and flatline.

A stock is pretty unnecessary if you just shoulder the tank and the grip is mostly aesthetics. The flatline isn't all that great.

While it does make your shots go further by the time they have gone further than a conventional barrel, they will be flying significantly slower to the point that it's unlikely they will break on whatever they hit.

Keep in mind that with Tippmanns, you're paying mostly for their build quality, not performance. There are much cheaper markers out there that will perform as good or even better for less coin. Tippmanns kind of go above and beyond what will normally be needed in terms of reliability, unless you plan on wading through mud/water and jumping off cliffs on a regular basis.

·
Pump is Better
3,424 Posts
Wow, belive me, the feild is level. Your ups their will probbly give you a better performing marker than an X-7 or equal or even slightly greater price. Some people arn't going to like you ups, but if you like senerio, than go for it.

I see all of you guys are looking at senerio guns, and you really can't go wrong with Tippmann (I personally like the A-5 more than the X-7). The Ariakon Sim 5 will probbly be a little on the down side, but the woods it's self levels the playing feild. I personally play pump in the woods.

Welcome to the forum! When your done painting your marker, you should post a picture of it in the Rate My Marker section.

·
Premium Member
23,657 Posts
Just so you know, the X7 is no more than an electronic framed A-5. It just looks more like a real rifle. I'm not a fan of the A-5 for a few reasons. the first reason is because they're an over-glorified tippman 98 custom. the onyl difference between them is the cyclone hopper system. this is annoying and sticks out the side, meaning if you try to look out the right side of something, you're exposing your entire hopper before you can even see where your'e shooting. It's also bad because if you were to buy a different marker down the road, you'll have to buy a different hopper because the cyclone hopper only works on tippman markers.

I'm gonna throw a Us army marker out there. they're fairly new, yet are affordable and are realistic looking(whihc seems to be what you're looking for) The base model of them is a tippman marker.

I'm also going to recommend a spyder VS1. It looks nothing like a real rifle, but it's smaller, lighter, just as fast a anything out there in this price range, and accepts a standard hopper. Don't worry about not having a stock, that's what your tank is for.

edit: damn you guys! you beat me to the punch!

·
Pump is Better
3,424 Posts
I have to agree with matrix about the A-5. I'd much raither have a 98, but the A-5 isn't bad. Matrix points out it sticking out so much to the right, but when you shoot left, their is no hopper at all, plus the cyclone feeds nicer than a Halo hopper for the most part. More consistant, no batteries, and so on. SO their are some up sides to the down sides.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Out of curiosity, can you upgrade the A-5 with an X-7 hopper so that it rests at an angle while still using the cyclone feed feature of the A-5? Also, has anyone actually bought a Q-loader? They seem nice but I havent seen any reviews for them. I found them on the Rap4 site. Tippmann A5 Qloader Sniper Mount Not sure if they're worth the money because I'm also positive these do away the cyclone feed which is one of the reasons I've decided on the A-5 to begin with. Btw, thanks for the feedback fellas.

·
Bringer of large farts
2,370 Posts
Definitely avoid the flatline, it will offer next to no performance upgrades and will end up being a have waste of money.

And realize that all the milsim rail and crap are nothing but heavy wastes of space. I took great pleasure not long ago in popping one of our regular "mil-sim" customers(the kind that has 4 or 5 spec-op'd out tippmans and the crappy wal mart ghillie suit)right in the goggs with a friends pm7....which happened to be bubble gum effing pink. I was int street clothes, and yes we where in the woods. Now I am an old timer(to an extent anyways....some of you have me beat), but I'm also not a terribly good player on the field. I'm fat, I'm slow, and I'm missing a piece of my foot. The whole point is, people think all that bogus looking crap will help them in the woods, when in reality if they would lighten up an move a little bit the would find that the same minimalistic rigs most players run would serve them better. Unfortunately that's the nature of things. Some people are just butt stubborn and are not gonna give up. As long as you realize that stuff is nothing but a "I like having a gun that looks like XX real gun because I think it's cool looking and want to send the money on it", then go for it and have a good time. I'd be happy to help you find the best stuff and recommend potential load outs to you. Just realize what you're getting into.

BTW, I'm not making the claim that in a solely woods situation camo does not help a little bit. Ghillie suits do not, as they where not made for the predominantly close range moving combat of paintball. When you start running and moving at these ranges, you loose the primary function of these suits. I will wear camo if I'm going out with some buddies to play in the woods(or a darker jerrsey with grays/blacks)

·
Registered
147 Posts
BT paintball guns are another way to go for scenario guns. They look very real, and from what I've seen they are pretty reliable guns. You can also upgrade to an electronic trigger frame and they accept A-5 barrels.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I was under the impression that a flatline system added a gauranteed 100ft of flat trajectory. I thought that was a fantastic upgrade. I fancy myself a decent shot and I figured with even an extra 50ft of ball flight, I'd have an advantage over my friends. I guess I have alot to learn. Quite frankly, I still like the A-5A2 kit just because of the looks and it doesnt add much weight so I'm most likely gonna stick to that mod. Yes, its looks but I like the idea of a stock. Being from Arkansas and being an avid hunter, I cant imagine not having a real stock and I'm not a fan of front grips. I personally know that a guillie suit when used by someone with common sense is an advantage in the woods so I plan on getting one. Also, after doing a bit of reading, I'm gonna forget the e-grip and go with a reactive trigger. So outta curiousity, is there a barrel that will add some performance + distance?

·
Bringer of large farts
2,370 Posts
I'm trying to tell you, range only counts if the ball will break. If it doesn't break, your not eliminated....and the paint will NOT break at the extra "range" the flatline gives(nor the apex...which is the same system but on the muzzle.). It is most definitely NOT 100ft farther either....

I'm an avid hunter and shooter, and have been for the last....oh lets see I shot my first gun at five so that's 17years. I assure you, a paintball gun is not at all like real steal. You will not be able to look down sights with a mask on, and there is no "zeroing in" to this....you learn about where your paints going to hit and use the tip of the barrel to put it there. I fancy myself a crack shot, 100yard through the ten ring is a common shot for me open sighted with a .50cal muzzleloader. I don't hit what I'm aiming at all the time with my pumps.

Point blank, there is an effective distance and range a .68cal sphere of fluid will hit at. No barrel length/hopup system/ or operating pressure changes within the gun are going to change that.\

I personally know that a guillie suit when used by someone with common sense is an advantage in the woods so I plan on getting one.
And I personally know that they don't offer as much as you think. I've been playing this game for 12 years. I've done it in everything from a ghillie to street clothes, and gone from carrying a plastic pump to a high end electro. Unless you camp, which is what 99% of the people who want ghillies are going to do, they're not effective in paintball.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Thanks for the informative post. I see what you're saying now. With all that being taken into account, I guess I'll go with a basic A-5 with the Spec Ops A-5A2 kit and a reactive trigger. As time passes, I'll add or change parts as needed.

·
Bringer of large farts
2,370 Posts
That's not a bad setup if you really want the A-5. I personally like the RT trigger more than the e-grip because it's so much cheaper, but will really do good things for ROF if you need it. Just be careful you dont set it up to R/T TO much, you want it to be controllable so you don't hose someone with a hopper accidentally.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts