Paintball Guns and Gear forums banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 103 Posts

·
Your Worst Nightmare
5,270 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok, my brother asked for my help for a project he is doing. He's a machinest btw so it's not like this is just an idea that will never come about. Anyway...

He's making a gatling gun for scenario use. The main use is actually for fields. The main idea behind this is that you can mount this thing on a structure or tank and push mucho paint out at someone.

It has 7 or 8 barrels and i believe 4 of the barrels are firing at the same time. This requires 4 hoppers, two of which are done via warpfeed, and you're looking at getting roughly 60-120 bps out of it. Again, this is for scenario use! It will not be a personal mobile marker. It's being based on typical blowback parts.

I'm basically posting this to see what the scenario world has to say about a marker like this. I'm kinda worried about it, where as he isn't. Hopefully busting this thing out at D-Day next year. Or maybe before then.

Let me know what you think.

- Brian

·
Registered
1,984 Posts
Kinda like a Vulcan isn't it? I mean, seriously. :)

I like it anyways.

BTW- Since I live near you, can I come over and use it? :cool:

O

·
0 Posts
Incredible. Goodluck with that. I always thought about making a really fast shooting marker that could be mounted. Get some pics during development and when it's done.

·
Registered
228 Posts
Maybe you could put in on the tippy hellhound :) . The four hopper idea sorta reminds me of the "Speedball Grinder" from Palmers Pursuit. http://www.palmer-pursuit.com/techpages/
Because a paintball gun cannot overheat, the rotating barrels would not do anying except look cool.
Sounds complicated, good luck!

·
Your Worst Nightmare
5,270 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Its really just so each barrel is having a slower ROF hopefully cutting down on the chops. Gotta remember, blowbacks aren’t exactly paint friendly at high speeds. It's like having two barrels oscillating firing 8 bps each. You're getting 16bps in reality, but you're doing it at a very reliable speed when it comes to keeping your paint intact. Get the idea?

- Brian

·
Registered
873 Posts
It's a neat idea but good luck getting it approved for scenerio play. 60-120BPS could seriously hurt someone. It would be fun to screw around with off the field though.

·
Registered
181 Posts
it might be the case that you have to develop specific ammunition for it to fire. Oh and how about using an electrically driven compressor rather than a standard tank; since mobility isn't an issue.
I understand the concept of multiple barrels. What you could do i copy a reliable gun design, duplicate it 6 times over and then synch the firing so the barrels fire one after the other. This way you could have a steady rate of fire, but each mechanism would have a relativly long time before is had to fire again.
whatever you decide todo, it will no doubt be technically challenging. Don't get put off by problems.

·
Your Worst Nightmare
5,270 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Javaman said:
It's a neat idea but good luck getting it approved for scenerio play. 60-120BPS could seriously hurt someone. It would be fun to screw around with off the field though.
That's my worry too. I'm the guy that isn't sure if it's a wise idea ;)

- Brian

·
Registered
74 Posts
well the spinning barrel idea is purely cosmitic...as stated before the reason gattling guns have multiple barrels is only to disapate heat. if it had a single barrel the barrel would over-heat, fracture, and break within seconds because of the high rate of fire and heat caused from that. for a paintball gun...i think setting up a number of guns on a cam-fire system (turn a crank and it pull the trigger for ya) would work the best. just tie 4 guns togeather and get an electric screw driver to turn it for ya. some guy was selling this on ebay not to long ago with 3 tippmann 98s tied up.

·
Registered
181 Posts
you're probably makign this more complex than it needs to be. get the basics right and then think about rotating barrels and stuff. but hell, it's up to you. just KISS. Keep It Simple. Stupid. No offence intended! lol

·
Registered
1,984 Posts
Man, you probably haven't even seen a vulcan or anything scenario like have you? How do you keep something like that simple? If your making it for a field fool you have to put on a ton of mods. Then you customize it. Then when you sell it you can sell it for a good hunk of money. Maybe 1000-3000 dollar range. WELL? Who's stupid now? No offense intended.

·
Registered
181 Posts
Hey, i think it's a great idea. But i think it's a good idea to just understand the scale of such a project. even the most advanced paintball guns have maye at most a couple of hundred moving parts. These are all presicion manufactured using´CAD\CAM based design.
Planning somthing this complex is daunting. Building it even more so. it's gonna take thousands of man hours of labor, high quality materials. very accurate machining and a design which might actually work. By saying KISS, i simply mean, balence the pros and cons. Such as "I want rotating barrels like a gatling gun" ask do i actually need them? will it make a bling bit of difference either way. does the end product justify all the labour and design time. it might be the a rotating system would decrease the effectiveness of the end result.

You gotta ask: "what do i actually want?" Answer: a scenario toy that looks kick ass but that also works well enough to actually use. Go from there. don't go form the premise "I wanna build a paintball gatling gun" cos that's unlikely to end with a successful and above all useable result.

Oh and btw, no offence taken.

1 - 20 of 103 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.