Paintball Guns and Gear forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
hey guys,
So im pretty new to the sport gone out a few times. looking to buy my own gun. i've been looking around and the MR2 has caught my eye. Is it a good gun? would you recommend it? and what kind of co2/HPA tank should i get? and should i upgrade the barrell, and what kind of hopper should i put on it. And is it worth paying the few extra bucks going with the MR3? Weight doesnt bother me i just want a gun that i can customize to my liking. I'd use it for woodsball and mayb some speed ball everynow and then. So would this be the gun for me? If someone could answer all my questions i would be soo HAPPY!

Thanks guys

·
Bringer of large farts
2,370 Posts
The MR series guns are more of the "let's see how much we can take the noob for" milsim guns. Unless you insist on that crap, save your money and get the better gun in a VS1. It'll work in either place(you don't need a stock and a gun that looks kinda realish to play in the woods...), chop less, and be a better gun for you.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Okay, I'm pretty new to paintball. I've now played maybe 25+ hours since I've started. I did extensive research on markers before I ever played my first game though and here's what I've learned. Its all about what YOU are comfortable with. ALL markers shoot at relatively the same speed so keep that in mind. The other things are fairly simple factors such as loading, weight, the ease of cleaning and maintenance. I do agree with TxAggie that the VS1 would be better than the MR2 but thats because of the "eyes". The builds are pretty much the same. So you have to decide whether the eyes are worth the extra $50.00+ Personally speaking, I own the A-5 and you can get one for about $25.00 more than the VS1 and since it comes with the cyclone and the hopper, you actually save money plus they're alot more customizable. I couldnt be happier about my A-5 purchase and I would recommend the A-5 to anyone interested in a great marker to start or even as an upgrade. Here were my reasons for the A-5 purchase.

1. The price. Yes, $175.00 seems expensive but you get what you pay for in paintball just like with any other purchase.

2. Customer service. The folks over at Tippmann are extremely helpful and offer the BEST warrantee that I've seen in Paintball markers.

3. No need to buy a $50.00+ hopper. The Cyclone comes standard on the A-5 and it comes with a hopper and can fire just as many bps as the VS1 (if you buy an e-grip). The VS1 doesnt come with a hopper. In order to get the higher bps that they advertise, you have to get an eletronic hopper which costs a good chunk of change depending on what you buy.

4. I play woodsball and scenario so the A-5 was perfect for me. Electronic markers are great but I dont want to be the guy that buys a $225.00+ worth of marker and accessories for a spyder only to drop in it a puddle or something in the woods.

Those are the main reasons I went with the A-5.

If you are going to play a bit of all three types like you mentioned, I wouldnt even consider the VS1. I'd pay the same price and get a smart parts ion. You can customize the hell out of them. They come with a shell that cover the marker to protect it from water/mud and the like. They're electronic and really dependable. If Spec Ops wouldve waited any longer to ship out my A-5, I wouldve most likely have bought one myself.

·
Registered
65 Posts
Im not too familiar with the markers you were talkin about, but just as a work of advice (from personal experience) dont buy spyders, they suck, get ur self a tippman 98 (the marker every one should start on) or a tippman a-5 both can be upgraded as much as any marker and are both great woodsguns

·
Bringer of large farts
2,370 Posts
XXsniperXX

4. I play woodsball and scenario so the A-5 was perfect for me. Electronic markers are great but I dont want to be the guy that buys a $225.00+ worth of marker and accessories for a spyder only to drop in it a puddle or something in the woods.
You realize speedball fields are often muddier than the woods right? You also realize 1000+ dollar markers regularly get dropped and played with in the mud, yet do not fry....amazing concept.

You don't actually save money with the cyclone feed, you just get an inefficient, poorer quality hopper with it.

Unfortunately, what 90% of the beginners handing out in this sport fail to realize, all BB guns work the same blasted way. That tippman your singing the praises of is an inline version of the valve the spyder uses.

You've also made the mistake of believing there are "woodsball guns" and "speedball"guns. There are actually well set up guns, and guns that are to long, and have a schite load of unnecessary crap on them so they are only usable in the woods. The a-5 falls into the latter category.

Tippmans new marketing slogan should either be:

"Tippman, scaring noobs with useless crap since '86"

or

"Tippman, It may not be useful, and it may be six feet long, but if we call it milsim someone will buy it to go play soldier"

Take this, like all my advice, with a grain of salt. It's the opinion of one humble airsmith. Realize two things: 1. I've been doing this almost as long as the average pballer has been alive at this point(that's depressing, I've seen just about every "hot new trend" in the market, and I still see these guns in action every weekend, and maintain a large number of them 2. Unlike a companies marketing department at a company, I'm not trying to take your money, I'm trying to save you money in the long run.

BTW twest, I reported you for spamming. I know your new, but unless you have something more to contribute to a thread than "spyders suck get a tippman, don't bomb several threads to get your post count up..

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
ive heard some bad things about the a-5 but i think im set on the mr2. This thread kinda went downhill it pretty much just turned into a debate one which is better tippmann or spyder...

G

·
If you're looking at a lot of woodsball i suggest you get a 98 custom over an mr2, just because of the reliability of the marker, plus it's easy to customize, maintain and the parts aren't very expensive. Spyders are also pretty good value and though many people talk trash about them i can't say i've had bad experiences with them, but i don't know, the MRs have always felt like toys compared to the 98.

But hey, if you're set on the MR2 go for it, even if i feel that they feel like toys, that doesn't mean they're bad. I have friends who have the MR2 and have never heard them complain about it. You can get it a nice long barrel, a hopper, some military style mods and that and have it prime for the woods. Parts for spyders are aplenty and they aren't very expensive either.

If you don't like it in the end you can always sell it easy later on and get yourself a better marker, which you will want to do eventually anyway so there's really no point in me telling you this so i'll shut up now.

G

·
unlike 2.0 ^^^ ill say mr2 over 98c though, if you show up with a 98 at a speedball field chances are those are gunna be the same guns they are renting out.
Agreed on that, i would not take a 98 to a speedball field either, it's just too long. But the MR2 is not much shorter than the 98 so it's not for speed either. Still i might change my mind... the MR2 shoots faster qne is easier (ish) to clean than the 98. But i still don't find them sturdier than the 98.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts