Paintball Guns and Gear forums banner

1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well im really new to the sport of paintball. I went once at a friends house. I loved it! Sure, the balls killed...especially when they didnt break :ninja:.
Well i am look to get a tippman for my birthday....i have heard good things about them.Ill probably get and a-5 or 98c(ustom?).
I looked at the 98 customs and the ones without any upgrades are around 120$
Are they good bythemselves?Or should i get the ones with the ACT(or was it ATC?IDK what it means...)
I would customize it a little since it would cost a little les than the a5....
maybe a new barel(i 4 get what the three barels were that were recomended in another thread...) or maybe a flatline barel.(how much would it cost)
I would also get a couple 20oz co2 bottles(how much do they cost)
maybe a stock too.
A good mask , of course....
should i get those extra bottle thing s full of paintballs to reload in the field?
What would i need to get a drop down on a 98c?and what exactly is it.
ANything else that u would recomend for a new player would be apreciated.
OH, i would probably go to a paintball place that has some woodsball field(if u know anywhere around Pittsburgh Pa for P-ball places plz tell me) and maybe some inside stuff....idc if i dont have a speedball gun...its all good if i can shoot someone with mine....

·
Registered
6,346 Posts
98's are good, are you going into woodsball? If so then get the 98, if not get a spyder VS1. Yes get the things to reload on the field(called pods for future reference). Get a J&J Ceramic barrel, will do all you need it to do. Definitely get a good mask, I suggest at least some profilers. DON'T GET A STOCK, they will just mess you up in the long run. The ACT will be very nice to have, but honestly I have NEVER chopped while using a tippman, maybe I am just lucky? Drop down? I think you mean Drop Forward? If so it's a part that goes where you put your tank that brings your tank in while making your gun a little taller, useless.

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
yea i meant drop forward.Well i might play a little indoor p-ball (is that considered speedball?if not what is)
And what are some upgrades i should get besdies that barel,Maybe ACT(its like 10-20$ more then reg 98c i think)
How much are pods and the things that hold them on ur hip?And how much would 2000 paintballs last?What kind of decent paintballs should i get?HOw long (how many paintballs/avg games) would a 20oz co2 bottle last?

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
whoops.....some paintball places do have woodsball areas, right?Cant u go to places and just get put on a team and play for a couple hours?

OK i saw some things on youtube on what to bring to the "field"
Well , obviously the marcker, mask , co2 cans, and paint balls.
Do i NEED the shin pads and gloves?(ill prob get gloves cus i know it kills to get hit in the hand)And is it ok just to wear old shoes and just some cammo?
Also i should bring a in-field squeegy and jerk squeege , right?and the guy talked about this thing, it look like an alan (sp?) wrench...it was to adjust something in your gun.
Some o rings, pliers, screw drivers,and some other tools(include some that are missing)
I saw this kit for the 98c and it was like an extra parts kit...would this have o-rings and others parts?
I have heard/read about having to replace things quite a bit...how much would these fixes cost and what should i expect to wear down or break....i saw a vid on youtube about things that might need replacing but i forget the names...

·
Registered
6,346 Posts
All of that is user preference, if you want pads get them(though I suggest you NOT get a cup, they kill your movement. Allen wrench is to adjust your Velocity(how fast your gun is shooting, most fields limit it to 280-300 FPS< Feet Per Second). The only thing you will really need for replacements is Tank O-rings, CO2 is bad on O-rings. and Indoor is either Speedball or Scenario(mostly speedball though). I suggest the VS1 then, it will be good on both woods and speedball fields.

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
How is the VS1 better for speedball?Whats the big difference between woodsball type guns and speedball guns?COuld a 98c be used in a speedball match?

·
Premium Member
23,657 Posts
A tippman can't be used well in a speedball match, but the spyder can be used easily in a woodsball match. woodsball markers seems to be geared towards a more realistic look, but it also adds weight and size to them.

the tippman will be a long mechanical trigger pull whereas the spyder is a short, effortless trigger pull, making it able to shoot faster out of the box.

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
So u basicaly shoot faster in speed ball? So is it against the rules to use tippmans in speedball? How are spyders duribility compared to spyders and same with quality...

·
Registered
101 Posts
Vs1 is much lighter and smaller if profile, its also electronic, It has 2 settings, 3 shot burst and semi auto, but im sure theres a new board out if you want to have a more varity of shooting settings. trigger pull is lighter, allowing you to achieve higher bps more easily, also it can run on Co2 or Hpa like a mechanical marker.

Tippmann 98s are typically long and heavy, and not very manuverable, as in you have to put in more effort to tuck yourself and your marker in so you dont get shot(which takes much more time rather then tucking in with a smaller profile marker), although its long and heavy, it can still be used for speedball, its all person preference really, i used to play speedball with an a5 and i did fine.

typically i like to think there is no difference between the two, ive used my DP Fusion in woodsball and scenario games with ease and used an A5 for speedball and did great, But some ppl dont agree with this so i'll point out some simple pointers.Speedball guns are usually light,small, have a high fire rate but are not suitable for rough play as in, banging against rocks and dropping the marker in mud/water or twigs and branchs(anno job can scratch making people sad), they need to be maintained on a regualar basis in order to keep them functional. Usually they require a air tank which can cost from 50$ - 200$ ( 3 types N2-nitrogen , HPA-high pressured air, LPA-low pressured air, this type is rarely used its only used on WDP markers and invert mini(im not sure about mini, but i think its recommended)).

Woodsball guns are heavy, and virtually indestructable(atleast the tippmanns)when i had my A5 ive dropped it in mud, and i also bashed it agaisnt a tree(not on purpose) still nothing affected it, they can be heavily modified to resemble real firearms which create the milslim look. They can run on either Co2 or Hpa/N2(air tank) and do not need to be maintained on a regular basis, when i owned one i only took it apart once over the year and a half ive owned it.

Its all personal preference, If you want a marker that you can trick out to look like a real M16 or w.e go for the tippmann, if you want a light and smaller profile marker for for the Vs1. Both are great beginner markers and both perform great. :tup

·
Premium Member
23,657 Posts
you shoot a lot faster in speedball as it's a smaller playing area. no tippmans are not illegal, that'd be silly. They're not nearly as idiot proof as a tippman would be, but they're super easy to take apart to lubricate.

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
How do u maintain electric markers...ive heard parts for it can be more more expensive also...Can i upgrade the barrel and other things on the spyder?and does the spyder use co2?i think u already explained the Co2 thing ...
And if speed ball guns arent as durable ill get the tipman and upgrade over time......trust me ....im not the most...hmmm...umm...carefull person....ill end of banging it hard of something.....trust me..

·
Premium Member
23,657 Posts
A spyder is a very simple electronic marker that doens't have all the expensive parts.
The VS2 and VS2 can not use co2, but any other spyder can.

no no the spyders are just as durable as a tippman, you just can't use them to chop down a tree or dunk in water(unless it's mechanical spyder)

·
Registered
101 Posts
some "speedball markers" are durable, its just that people rather not smash a nice umm. paint job and get it all scratched and chipped. also spyders arent hard to clean or anything and yes they can use Co2 i explained in the huge wall of text..well somewhat ..well i atleast pointed out the one suggested can. All spyders can use co2 just not Vs2 or Vs3 unless costly modifications are purchased. you can upgrade anything on the spyder basically.
and all aftermarket products are pricey.

lol. im gonna post this anyways, but by the time i finished ^ that, i looked up and martix just sumed up what i was gonna say :(

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
hmmm...im leaning towards the tipman...i could always get a shorter barel on the tipman for speedball...and maybe invest in one of the double triggers or those triggers that make it easier fire with the air from the co2 tank...forget what its called tho..lmao

·
Premium Member
23,657 Posts
after all this you still want a tippman...what is the draw about it that makes it so much better for you?

those triggers you speak of, they cost as much as a spyder does...for the entire marker!

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
hmmmm .....would n e of u mind telling me the adnantages of both guns....
i already know the tipman is kind of more durable...and it can be modified quite a bit
and the spyder is more compact and shoots faster....

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
im leaning towards the timpman yea....because ive seen alot of people that have had them and liked them...and the spyders i havent heard much about and i dont want to break in a month and waste my $

·
Premium Member
23,657 Posts
the "modifications" you'll add to a tippman don't do anything but make it look better. The ones that are effective in making it better cost nearly as much as the marker itself, yet add very little to its resale value. In all honesty, (and this is true for both markers) you'll only want to buy a new barrel for it and maybe a feedneck if your hopper wont' fit or stay on the stock feedneck.

The vs1 has anti-chop eyes that "see" the paintball in the breach and only fire when there is a paintball in it, eliminating chops from firing to fast.

Spyders are reliable markers and are just as big of a brand name as a tippman is. chances are that you've hard of peopel who like them who have never played with anything different, giving them a very biased opinion on the matter.

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Are most barrels universal?
Do u know if there is any type of kits for parts u can buy like u can with tippman guns?I kind of understand what a feedneck is but not really....
Also,is there any type of warranty on the gun?
Have u ever had problems with the spyder and its electric system?So what makes it electric...the trigger?
Also...lol...is the tippman a-5 any any better than the 98c?

·
Premium Member
23,657 Posts
barrels are threaded differently depending on what marker it's used for. tippmans use tippman threads, spyders use spyder threads, smart parts markers use smart part threads and nearly everything else uses autococker threads.

What do you mean by parts kit?

The feedneck is what holds the hopper on

The older spyder boards had seemingly random and very rare problems with voltage, but i've yet to hear of any board related problems since they launched the Vs series. There's an electronic board inside the grip frame that's connected toa switch. the trigger hits the switch and that's, in turn, fires the marker.

If you do get a tippman don't get the A-5. it's overpriced beyond belief

1 - 20 of 34 Posts