Paintball Guns and Gear forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey All,

Newb here looking to buy a Tippman 98 to go paintballing this weekend...

Basically, asking what I should look for in a used tippman. Currently looking at one that is 2 years old comes with the following:

14 inch tear drop barrel
3000psi Nitro Duck tank + extension cord
20oz Co2 tank + Camouflage tank cover
Response trigger (RT Kit)
Sure Shot red dot scope
Camouflage Pod belt pouch with 4 100 containers

Any specific questions I should ask the seller? Want to make sure I don't use it this weekend and suddenly need to spend the same amount of money on repairs?

Thanks,
-ORod

·
Registered
3,032 Posts
Really there isn't much that can go wrong with a Tippmann. Check the date on the Nitro Duck tank to make sure it is still usable if the tank is too old you will need to get it retested before any field will fill it. Next have him connect the marker up to a tank with the remote (that's the extension cord) and make sure both the remote and marker aren't leaking and make sure the marker cycles properly. If he has a chronograph ask to shoot a few balls over it to see what the velocity is at. If the marker is old and has been sitting for awhile the spring could be worn out and you'll have trouble getting it up to a usable velocity on the field. Check to see how clean it is and take this time to ask what he lubes it with. If he says anything but paintball oil or air tool oil be prepared to replace orings down the road. If he looks confused or tries to say that Tippmanns don't need to be oiled buy a parts kit on the way home. Other than that you won't find a more field tested marker than the 98C and even if it does need work they are simple and cheap to fix. What's he asking for that package?

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks for the response.

He's asking $120. Includes 2000 paint balls, but the place I am going to doesn't allow brand (monster balls)

·
Registered
3,032 Posts
For $120 it's a good enough deal especially with the RT which I just noticed now. :rolleyes:

Definitely ask to to see the marker in action if he installed the RT improperly they are a pain in the ass to tweak if you don't know what you are doing. Not impossible to get working but still not as much fun as playing.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts