Paintball Guns and Gear forums banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
First I'd like to say hello to the forum members, and thank you for taking the time to read my post. And I'd like to apologize in advance for what's bound to be a long post. I have a tendency to ramble.

I've been able to play paintball a handful of times over the last few years, and I enjoy it more every time. I've decided to pick up the hobby on a more frequent basis, and thus I think it's time to buy myself a marker.

I've been doing some research I've decided on the 98 Custom or Custom Pro. I plan on playing mostly woodsball with a little speedball thrown in, along with some scenario games when I get a chance. I don't plan on becoming too serious of a player right now, just heading out to the local fields on the weekend with friends to have a good time. I'm not really interested in any of that tournament stuff for now. The 98c sounds simple, reliable, and durable, which are the traits I'm looking for. Rate of fire isn't a huge concern (or should it be? I am new at this, so all my assumptions could be wrong).

To my understanding, the only differences between the 98c and 98c Pro is that the Pro gets a better barrel, a double trigger, and a drop forward. I plan on purchasing a new barrel in the future (by the end of the Summer), so the improved barrel isn't a huge deal - I understand the stock barrels aren't very good anyways. Unless Drop Fowards have a greater purpose than just changing the location of the CO2 tank, I doubt that I will even notice it. The double trigger, however, I am particularly interested in having.

Right now my reasoning is that the double trigger and the better barrel are worth the extra cash for the Pro, especially since I would immediately install a double trigger if I was to buy the 98C. Am I correct in this assumption, or is the 98c a better buy? Does a drop foward make that much of a difference?

As for the actual purchase, will I be able to find a better deal through an Online vendor or from a local proshop? I live in North Central Florida (Gainesville), but will be back in the I-4 Corridor (Lakeland/Tampa) next week, visiting my folks. So if anyone knows of a place in those areas with good prices, could you let me know?

I've hunted this deal down, and it looks pretty good: TIPPMANN CUSTOM PRO BLK (ACT)
It's roughly $145 after shipping. Unless there's a better deal out there (A good package deal with CO2 tank, mask, etc. would be nice), I think this is what I'll buy.

As for a gas system, I don't see a compelling reason to use HPA over CO2 right now. I don't see a point in spending as much money on an air tank as I spent on my marker. I understand that HPA offers superior performance compared to CO2, but as I mentioned before I don't plan on taking my performance too seriously.

Upgrades - I like the upgrade-ability of the 98c, and I plan on gradually upgrading my gun as I use it.

Unless there's a more worthwhile upgrade to make first, I was planning on replacing the barrel as soon as it is convenient. The J&J ceramics receive high praise, and I've seen the 14" barrels less than $30 dollars. Is there a better barrel for the money?

For a CO2 system upgrade and taking price into consideration, should I go with an Expansion Chamber or a regulator? Also, for a distant future upgrade, what the general consensus on remotes? I like the idea of moving the tank to a location where it would be less clumsy.

Would a response trigger or e-trigger be a good upgrade if I ever decide I need more fire-power, and what other options would I have? I know that I would have to buy a new hopper that could match that rate of fire. Do I really need a new hopper right out of the box? (I don't think I've ever out-shot my hopper with a rental.)

Anyways, that's all the questions I've got right now. I don't want to spend so much money on a poor puchase, so I figured I would try to gather as much information as possible. Sorry again for the length of the post, and if anything I've asked has already been covered in another thread. Any answers, suggestions, opinions, and corrections would be most appreciated.

·
Premium Member
23,657 Posts
Sounds like you've got everything worked out and thought through.

the drop isn't worth speaking of. you'll not notice much difference at all.

Your tank of the air source is also true. HPA isn't going to do much better on a tippman so why get it unless you intend on later buying a marker that requires it?

I would reccomend a viewloaver revolution for a hopper. it agitates the balls inside so you dont' have to shake it to get balls to feed. you can get them used for $25-$35. They're not the best thing ever, but they're tried and true. When all else fails, everyone I know grabs one.

You can buy a responce trigger or an e-trigger. both are insaneley expensive though.

·
shine on.
10,745 Posts
You've done your research, touche.

The drop forward is going to shorten the length of the gun, and when you're using a 98c, that is a good thing. A regular gravity feed hopper will work 98% of the time (jams are very slight). The double trigger is nice to have. Upgrading the barrel is very smart.

When it comes down to it, you can buy all the upgrades you want and put them on a stock 98c, or buy an upgraded 98c and have a few upgrades you didn't want but are nice to have.

Do not use a remote. Though, it does lighten up your setup, it also makes holding, running and shooting your gun awkward because of the full hopper on the top of the gun. It's very top-heavy.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 · (Edited)
Thanks for the responses. I'll probably order the 98c Pro next week, as soon as I can pool in some cash.

In the meantime, what about those fancy collapsible rifle stocks I've seen? Are they actually useful, or just for visual purpose. Because thus far in my experience, I haven't missed not having one.

NEW QUESTION!!
Now that I've been looking at it, it seems that th A5 can be found for about twenty-five dollars more than the 98c Pro. Is there a single compelling reason to go for the A5 instead of the 98c? Besides the fact that it looks like an MP5, which of course makes it much more deadly than a regular paintball marker?

·
Registered
92 Posts
No no no. Stick to your plan and go with the 98. Personally I think it is almost as good as if not better than the A5. I actually bought a 98C pro. Sell the forward unless you really like it, the barrel and E trigger are worth the money though. Also, stocks are useful in woodsball for stabilizing the marker against your shoulder. Much easier to mark and such. Might wanna remove it for speedball though.

·
815 Posts
istead of a 98c or 98c pro..... Go with the 98c Platinum. its the same thing but better.
Ok first things first, this was a 2 month old thread and not many people are looking at it anymore. Second of all, the platinum is hardly better. Tippmanns QC has dropped and you know it. The older the better, try to find a used one in nice condition if anything.

EDIT: Third of all, dont order from Orderpaintball.com whats so ever, friend ordered a few guns and a helmet, nothing came, they claimed it was out of stock and didnt give him a full refund.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts