Paintball Guns and Gear forums banner

1 - 20 of 38 Posts

·
Registered
588 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi, My sisters car (1997 Nissan Sentra) has no heat. The fan works but it wont get hot. Just wondering what this could be. Im hoping its just some simple electrical problem but i might have to take it in to the shop. 20 degrees + no heat = no fun

·
Taking Back Control
2,191 Posts
it may not necessarily be the core, dont jump to conclusions. throwing parts at a car is stupid. look for a x connector with a vacuum setup. make sure the vacuum hose is connected. if its not, theres no coolant going through the heater core, meaning no heat.

·
Registered
920 Posts
DOnt just throw a core in, my friend did the same thing in his dakota and it still blows cold air. Mind you, I have no idea what else it might be, but as crusty said, dont just throw parts into a car, that gets expensive real quick.

·
Registered
588 Posts
Discussion Starter #7

·
Taking Back Control
2,191 Posts
not necessarily. some vehicles just dont have them. the coolant travels inside the car no matter what. on a heater core setup, theres an x-valve in the coolant lines under the hood, 2 returns and 2 inputs. 2 go to the engine and 2 gho to the core. when you turn the heater on, the vacuum system on it opens the valve up to distribute hot coolant to the heater core. when the heater is off, the valve is closed, bypassing the heater core. like i said, make sure your vacuum hose is connected, if not, its not opening the valve up to let coolant into the core.

·
Registered
588 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
when the heater is off, the valve is closed, bypassing the heater core. like i said, make sure your vacuum hose is connected, if not, its not opening the valve up to let coolant into the core.
I will have to do that. I dont have the car right now, tomorrow i will look at it.

·
Registered
588 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Update: My dad is driving it over here right now and he said the heat is a little bit warm but definetly not as good as it used to be. The Temp guage on the car is also all the way down, and not moving at all even after its been runing for a while. What does this mean?

·
Holy ****ing Asscrackers!
6,721 Posts
thermostat?
yeah probably. if the tstat is stuck open, it will take forever for the car to warm up because the coolant is going through the radiator at all times. normal operation has the tstat closed so the coolant doesn't get to the radiator, which lets the engine and coolant heat up. once it reaches a certain temp (my mustang was 180*), it opens, which lets the coolant into the radiator and cools it off. the tstat again closes once the temp drops below that certain temp.

so basically, check the tstat. it's likely at least part of your problem.

·
Registered
588 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Went out and got a thermostat, but cant seem to find the old one. Everything i found online said the thermostat is by the top radiator hose on the engine side. I pulled off the hose there and a metal piece it attached to, and it isnt there. So where is it? thanks

·
Taking Back Control
2,191 Posts
it should be on the block, usually where one of the secondary radiator hoses is connected. it should look like a regular hose connector, like the little stub that the hose slides over, but theres like, 2 or 4 bolts bolting it to the block. theres the thermostat.

·
Holy ****ing Asscrackers!
6,721 Posts
lol it might not even be there....how long have you guys had it and how long has the problem persisted?

·
Registered
588 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Ok, I took a few pics of what i got into.

theres the hose that i pulled coming from the top of the radiator

theres the opening, there was a metal hose connector thing bolted there, i figured the thermostat was under that but nope.

Ive read on some sites that on a 93 sentra, the thermostat is by the water pump on the back of the engine. Do you guys think this is also the case for my 97? thanks

·
Registered
588 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
thanks for that info. With the temp guage never going up, im thinking it is the thermostat though. It has all the signs of a thermostat problem. I just gotta find where the thing is, i already have the replacement one.

1 - 20 of 38 Posts