Paintball Guns and Gear forums banner

1 - 20 of 40 Posts

·
Lounge prostitute
1,945 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was drivin around the neighboring blocks tonight to get used to driving on snow since we just got some. I had lost traction several times but got out of all of them pretty quickly and easily. I was rounding a real long corner, don't know the speed exactly but it was slow since there was more than average snow on this road and I must of hit some ice under the snow or something because my car immediately lost all responsiveness, gas, break, steering wheel, e-brake and i took a glancing blow to the curb. At first I just drove away and thought it was nothing. I did have to have my wheel turned to go straight but i figured this was just because the snow being all irregular. When I got to a main road that only had slush on it instead of snow because of traffic I noticed to be going straight I had to have the top of my wheel at about 10 o' clock.

A while back my brother did this in his Grand Marquis and drove it like this most of the winter in fear that if it happened again he would have to fix the same problem twice and when he did fix it in autotech they just put new rod ends in and took it to a real shop to get it aligned. Although I'm afraid it may be a bit worse on my side since my focus is forward wheel drive.

In the mean time I get to ponder what I can do with a new asshole now that my dads prolly gonna tear me a new one when I tell him tomarrow (even though I'm going to pay for it)(he's already asleep now))and it'll prolly be worse since we were considering taking it to Iowa for an early x-mas party because some of the older people in my family go to Arizona for the winter.

·
I was saving that bacon
7,177 Posts
Ehh, I dont blame you for trying it out. I did the same thing, except I was in a empty parking lot in the middle of no where.

·
Lounge prostitute
1,945 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Yeah, too late now. And it had just started snowing yesterday so it's not like there should have been like hard packed snow left and right.

·
Registered
4,452 Posts
Haha I thought you only had your permit..?

Anyway, it is probably your alignment. This happened to my mom, she drove 300 miles with her wheels messed up. she also has FWD. Just take it to a shop, they can usually do alignment no problem.

·
Registered
904 Posts
The biggest noob mistake was not learning from them. When u try doing something at a certain speed, slow it down. I will sometimes creep in the rain if it's nasty. If u lost control at 20 for example, knock it down to 10 mph and try it again, if 10 feels purty comfy, bump it up a little. But on a lighter note, glad ur ok and I'm in mississippi. ****in hate cold weather.

·
Premium Member
13,027 Posts
Damn that sucks.. winters have always been a pain for me. My Prelude had cheap ass summer tires and my mustang was light as hell and RWD.

I managed to get around though and not curb check either one. Hehe

·
Registered
3,524 Posts
Thats one of the reasons I love 4x4 and my new tires. Getting kinda an ice storm here and stopping can be tricky but as long as you brake early its fine.

·
Registered
3,591 Posts
I've never driven in the snow, haven't had my license long enough.

People in Texas can't navigate the roads though when there's ice/snow on the road. Everyone suddenly gets all crazy and worked up when they should really just stay calm.

·
Imperator
19,071 Posts
E-brake is the worst thing you can do when you start loosing traction. Locks up the rear brakes just making you skid more. Jamming on the brakes usually doesn't help much either, and often has the same result (locks everything up causing you to skid more). Best thing to do is throw it into neutral and steer into the skid, slowly and evenly applying and letting off the brakes (but not hitting them hard enough to lock the wheels up, you want the wheels to spin so you keep traction and therefore keep steering).

Best thing to do when you're a new driver is go find an empty parking lot somewhere at like 5am and go mess around when there's a bit of snow on the ground. Nothing crazy, but learn how your car/truck/ect reacts in bad weather. The more you practice, the more you get used to it. Then you know what to do and you don't over-react.

I was driving around in the slush all today in 2HI with traction control off. I didn't need to put it into 4x4 once. Slow and steady and I had no problems. It's just a matter of knowing your vehicle, knowing its limits, and keeping your distance. Locking axels, 4x4, AWD, ect only helps you go, it does nothing to help you stop and turn (and actually can make both worse).

·
Into the whole Yale thing
1,073 Posts
Depends on the situation and application. Downshift on a slick hill could cause you to loose the traction you have and slide right down.:)
Word up to that... I was having tunnel-vision by only imagining open areas/ turns on flat drivng areas. No hills, hah!
Now, that (hills) is a challenge!

1 - 20 of 40 Posts