Paintball Guns and Gear forums banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts
O

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I want to get a Notebook. I will surf the web Here's what I'm looking for/what I'm doing on the computer:

-Mainly homework and writing
-At least a 17" screen
-Small amounts of gaming (if anything, just DPB)
-Listening to music/watching DVD's (already have speakers)
-Decent speed for what I'll be doing
-As cheap as possible (less than 500 hopefully even less.)

Would it be possible to get all this, for the price I'm looking at? Also, I won't be buying unless there's a sale and I have lots of advantages on price etc.

Thanks guys!

·
Registered
1,263 Posts
O

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I could use a fifteen. I would just really like a 17. And I just said 500ish as a guesstimate. My mom got a really nice laptop for 500 (it was one of those once in a lifetime things.) I'm not really looking for anything too rediculously powerful.

And I just realized this is in the Video Gamers' Forum, not the Techonology.

·
Registered
3,591 Posts
Jinjiro said:
Well, I own a Dell laptop that has proven to be less than spectacular. Sure the price was nice, but the frustration it has caused me makes me wonder whether I should have went an alternate route.

Customer service for me has been terrible. Ignoring the long wait times and terribly broken English, I've found that they don't really know what they're talking about most of the times. I had an issue with a fan making loud noises, and they tried telling me to re-seat the hard drive and RAM...because they have so many moving parts and all. :dodgy:

Their products are cheap. That's one thing I can't argue - they have great deals. I feel Dell is great for those people who just want a cheap computer, and who have the mindset of "when it breaks I'll just buy a new one."

Personally, if you can't build your own, I highly recommend buying local. You'll be able to talk to a real person (who speaks English), get support whenever you need it, and they'll stand behind their product - they have a reputation to maintain. Also, you'll keep your money in your community.

-Jin
He explained in Barber's thread.

·
Registered
1,263 Posts
I've always gone gateway. Every computer me/my family has ever owned has been gateway. Their customer support is AMAZING. I have called them numerous times and never had one person who couldnt speak perfect english. They always fixed all my problems in one call too. They even sent me a new keyboard for my laptop for free and walked me through the install steps.

O

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I'm not worried too much about customer service, it varies so much I don't want to rule one company out because one person recieved bad service.

I'm going to research Dells more.

·
Registered
3,591 Posts
Personally, my family bought our computer spur of the moment since it was such a good deal.

Haven't had anything wrong with it, and it's been about 2 years.

·
Woohoo
2,350 Posts
The deals will start getting better around Christmas time, or graduation time next year. But I still highly doubt you'll find a decent laptop for less than 800-1000.

You're definately going to have to spend a bit on the computer for it to be a nice one. Also, I'd suggest going to a local store around where you are and ask to see what their prices are like for their laptops.

·
I was saving that bacon
7,177 Posts
Dude, dont get a dell.

Dells are the epitamy(sp?) of failure. I would personally go gateway then HP then dell.

O

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Wal-Mart the day after Thanksgiving.

It will be dangerous, but I plan on coming out with a computer.

·
i play for keeps
7,001 Posts
Dell has been nothing but great for me.

If you purchase their complete-care warranty, ya you have to spend 30-40 minutes on the phone for them to finally come pick it up and fix it, but once that phone call is done, they WILL get it fixed no matter what happens to it, for 4 years. Its a good warranty and the warranty is worth the price of the laptop.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts