Paintball Guns and Gear forums banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
12,110 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm watching engineering disasters on the history channel.. One of the biggest threats to nuclear power plantsis running out of water and the core melting.

Why do they have to use water? Aren't there tons of different coolants they can use? What about CO2? Why water?

·
That's Hot
3,914 Posts
Water is abundant, for one. Also, water is a very stable molecule...it absorbs and dissipates radiation, which means that the radiation given off by the nuclear fuel won't "stick" to the water molecules and potentially spreading around and causing environmental damage.

Plus, when the water heats up and turns into steam, it can be used to turn turbines for additional power. And when their purposes are finished, they can simply let it rise into the atmosphere without any ill effects.

·
0ld Sk00l
3,773 Posts
YEa, i remeber the french machine gun. I forget the name. My grandfather had fired one before and he said it was the worst thing in the world. Non of the parts where interchangable, they always broke, the magazines had giant slots cut in them and could get dirt in them. they where just a POS>

·
Registered
4,886 Posts
DuoDSG said:
Water is abundant, for one. Also, water is a very stable molecule...it absorbs and dissipates radiation, which means that the radiation given off by the nuclear fuel won't "stick" to the water molecules and potentially spreading around and causing environmental damage.

Plus, when the water heats up and turns into steam, it can be used to turn turbines for additional power. And when their purposes are finished, they can simply let it rise into the atmosphere without any ill effects.
Yup. The water is turned into steam to power the turbines which in turn power it...and then the water is ran through the reactor to keep it cool...ya..

·
12,110 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Worst gun evar. It wouldnt be so bad but they were keeping the Brownings out of the soldier's hands becuase they were afraid the germans would try to make something like it. The best weapon in teh war wasn't issued very much..

·
Registered
4,779 Posts
god this has went off topic...

main reason for the use of water is its extremely high specific heat. it can absorb a ton of heat without raising the temp by much. its actually 4.18 J/g(or is that KJ?) to raise one gram of water one degree celcius.

that french gun was the suxxors. and the bar pwns asssss. nothin like full auto .30-06 :naughty

1 - 20 of 22 Posts