Paintball Guns and Gear forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
2,657 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Should you drive with it or not, and what are the pros/cons of it.

Danke.

·
We The People
5,925 Posts
With it. Overdrive is basically like 5th/6th gear in a manual. It's for cruising around, and it helps save gas. You may as well drive with it on all the time. As far as I'm aware it doesn't put any extra wear on the car, and yet you get better gas mileage.

Of course, I could be wrong.

-Jin

·
Registered
11,482 Posts
1337PAINTBALLER said:
Dosen't it change your RPMs while your driving and shifting to save on gas?
yep, it's just a higher gearing. Just like a 6th gear on a manual, like jin said.

·
Imperator
19,071 Posts
It's meant to save gas during highway driving. Turning it off is like shifting down one gear. Most people say to turn it off when you are doing a lot of "stop and go traffic" type driving around town, so the car doesn't keep shifting up and down as much, but I don't bother with it too often. The other time to turn it off is when you need to pass someone (dropping it into a lower gear gives more power because of higher revs), though most cars nowadays automatically drop out of O/D when you slam on the gas anyway. For most people you're better off not messing with it. If you drive something like an automatic Corvette and are going street racing, then you'd want to turn it off.

·
Registered
10,024 Posts
yeah we have it on our sedona...we used it a lot when we were moving across country on the highways and what not, then turned it off once we exited to drive around a city or w/e

·
Registered
1,508 Posts
when towing, its easier on the transmission when going through the up/down mountains of WV on big trips. especially when it gets to that certain yicky speed where it cant seem to decide between 3rd or o/d.

other than that, we leave it on.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts