Paintball Guns and Gear forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My son wanted a red dot sight for his gun, a Tippmann Cronus. I spoke to an online vendor tech help, and he talked me into getting a carry handle for the gun, to raise the sight. (He said something about his helmet getting in the way of a low sight during play.) I'm not here to debate whether sights are useful, so let's just stay the course....

The only carry handle I could find was with the Tippman mod kit for the Cronus. That's fine, he likes that stuff anyway. It comes with a carry handle, adjustable gun stock, and fake silencer, which change it to the tactical version. He likes the stock quite a bit, so I'll keep that.

The problem is the stock loader gets in the way of the sight. I realize there are a couple different options, and I'm willing to customize it myself if that's the best route - I have most tools in my shop.

So, what is the general consensus for best option? I think an extension tube is not the best option. Neither is anything costing $50 :)

·
Administrator
23,657 Posts
I agree. an extention is the best option here. the other option would be to get a cyclone loader, but it might not work with the chronus. I'm a big fan of how the chronus feels in my hands, and how it fits smaller persons as well, but I don't think that all the addons and plastic bits from other tippmans work with it.

·
Administrator
14,041 Posts
the best option is leaving it on there for the look if you like that but not expecting it to be functional. sights were not intended to be used with a mask on so assuming you can even see through it with a mask on that doesnt solve your problem as the sight will only show you where the paint "might" go. The other large issue is the accuracy of paintballs. Besides those assuming you can see through your sight, at longer ranges, because of the arc on the shot you may not even be able to see where it lands as you have to aim the marker up and at some point the barrel obstructs the view through the sight

Beyond those, the chronos does have a side mounted rail on the marker, aiming down the side is the "correct" way to aim anyway so you are able to see where your paint lands, if you want to avoid the hopper just mount the sight on the side. Im not saying you need to be a good little sheep and do everything the same way as everyone else but if you are looking for the functional side of things that is a free solution (assuming your sight is already able to be mounted on a rail)

heck the vast majority of players do not use sights of any kind but get along just fine, use the barrel as a line of reference and aim down the side of the marker. It takes a little getting used to at first but after that it becomes muscle memory and is much faster than lining your face up with the sight and then onto target

basically what you are looking for is the holy grail of milsim markers and as of yet nobody has really found a good solution basically because none of the sights are designed with paintball masks and paintball accuracy and paintball hoppers in mind, they are designed for firearms which are very very different in pretty much every aspect

you wouldnt put a kick stand on a car, they are needed for motorcycles though. If you like the look of it on your car sure, go for it, just dont expect it to do the same thing for your car that it does a motorcycle

·
Administrator
23,657 Posts
It's for his kid, Trbo. the little fella wants to look cool. I say go for it.

I did forget about the side rails. Maybe it would mount on those without any issues.

·
Super Moderator
3,817 Posts
I'm not here to debate whether sights are useful, so let's just stay the course....
comon trbo.

kids these days grow up with CoD and Battlefield. let him emulate it if he wants.

anyways. i'm going to assume you've already bought the sight. other wise i would go and recommend a fiber optic sight. they work even if the hopper is plastered right in front of your face. you use it with both eyes open and basically your eyes see the dot but they still see beyond so the dot is your "aim point"

·
Administrator
14,041 Posts
It's for his kid, Trbo. the little fella wants to look cool. .
and I 100% agree if its for the look, but if its just for the look then the hopper being in the way wouldnt be an issue

if anything id think the cyclone would be worse(assuming it can work with the cronus, im not sure on that either), that mounts directly onto the side, not even the offset feedneck to move it out a little. If you are still running the carry handle and the sight on top of that Im not sure it would really change anything but you would have spent $80 just to try it

here, its a under $10 option and I am still assuming the sight you have is a picatinny rail mount. Assuming that you can either attach this on top of the carry handle or off of the side rail and it will move the sight out a little

45 Degree Picatinny Rail Offset Side Rail Mounts Rail 20mm Scopes Rifle Base M31 | eBay

really though, and I know you wont take this advise and its your money feel free to ignore it, but I feel obligated to say it anyway, just use the money to go play, if you fix it so he can see through the sight the next problem will be that the paint doesnt go where the dot is and basically it will always come down to spending money on the gear rather than playing with it

nothing is perfect in paintball (although an autococker running really well comes pretty close) play with a sligshot for a while and you will really appreciate anything that can fire even 1 ball per second after that

Again Im making an assumption here but it sounds like you and your son are rather new to the sport, if thats the case do your self a favor, go play, fave fun, if you have never played with him get out there as well. Ive seen it tons of times where new players get all wrapped up in the gear, end up spending tons of money and then at some point realize it all really doesnt change much. I have seen that get people out of the sport because they felt it was too expensive when really, they did not have to spend all that money but they lost sight of the goal, playing and having fun. If you play a lot sometimes you realize you really dont need or want anymore that piece of gear that you were loosing sleep over, you realize that you are getting along just fine without it so why bother?

comon trbo.

kids these days grow up with CoD and Battlefield. let him emulate it if he wants.
I have absolutely 0 problems with people wanting to emulate a look, cover your marker in nuts and bolts if you want to, Ill help you choose the right ones if you want, but again we are reaching into the milsim mystery bag of looks + functionality of which the functionality side is almost always lacking

I just like to make sure people know the down sides to what they are doing, its not like I can stop this guy from spending money even if I wanted to

Just because its not what you were hoping to hear doesnt make it bad advise. If I am looking to double my gas mileage I may not want to hear you tell me to sell my truck and buy a prius, that doesnt make it the wrong option just not what I was hoping for

·
Registered
58 Posts
I have used the 45 degree offset with great success. However also be prepared that depending on how he carries the Chronus, that the sight and rail can get ripped off by getting snagged on his clothing. When I walk on and off the field I hold my marker (X7 Phenom) against my chest area in the ready position. Lost the red dot site as I was walking off the field and could never find it.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Yes, I thought the conversation would turn into whether he should use it at all, so I tried to short circuit that. The sight stays. The gun is used as much for target practice as it is for actual combat, and it's fun for that. As for the rest, it's something he's going to learn on his own and he wants to use it. It's not just for looks, so it matters that the hopper is in the way.

The project is currently on hold, since as we were using the gun yesterday it was stuttering and losing the cock after each shot. Taking the gun apart, I realized the power tube is cracked. Why the heck would that be made out of plastic? It turns out the gun is past the 90 day store return time, but not long enough for the extended warranty I purchased, which means it's covered under manufacturer warranty, so I have to deal with them. Not really looking forward to how that might go.

The scope is actually very accurate once I dialed in the adjustments on it. To within a couple inches at 50 feet. Of course I know it can't be accurate at all distances.

martix agent, not sure what you meant by "I agree" - I had said an extension might NOT be the best option.

Side mounting the scope was intriguing, but we ultimately didn't like it. An offset looks like the best bet at this point. Unless a different shape hopper would work. I'm just not crazy about the extension because it raises the hopper and makes it more likely to get hit.

·
Administrator
23,657 Posts
Why is the power tube made out of plastic? Because otherwise, it wouldn't cost $79.99 As I understand it, Tippman has been making the power tubes out of plastic for quite a few years. It's one of the reason that we on this forum recommend against them. Tippman quality is dropping, and buyers are unaware of it. They do still have pretty good customer service, though. Give them a call or email and they'll probably take care of you, especially because it's nearly brand new.

·
Administrator
14,041 Posts
Yes, I thought the conversation would turn into whether he should use it at all, so I tried to short circuit that. The sight stays. The gun is used as much for target practice as it is for actual combat, and it's fun for that. As for the rest, it's something he's going to learn on his own and he wants to use it. It's not just for looks, so it matters that the hopper is in the way.

The project is currently on hold, since as we were using the gun yesterday it was stuttering and losing the cock after each shot. Taking the gun apart, I realized the power tube is cracked. Why the heck would that be made out of plastic? It turns out the gun is past the 90 day store return time, but not long enough for the extended warranty I purchased, which means it's covered under manufacturer warranty, so I have to deal with them. Not really looking forward to how that might go.

The scope is actually very accurate once I dialed in the adjustments on it. To within a couple inches at 50 feet. Of course I know it can't be accurate at all distances.

martix agent, not sure what you meant by "I agree" - I had said an extension might NOT be the best option.

Side mounting the scope was intriguing, but we ultimately didn't like it. An offset looks like the best bet at this point. Unless a different shape hopper would work. I'm just not crazy about the extension because it raises the hopper and makes it more likely to get hit.
hold up, if you are using it for target practice then how is this not working? I thought the hopper was in the way

Side mounting the scope was intriguing, but we ultimately didn't like it.
Im not saying this to be rude but really, this ^^^ is your problem more than the sight, you want it to work as it is intended to on a firearm, over the top and are not willing to take the time and use it in a game any other way. Nomatter what you do its not going to feel natural because its not on a firearm and you do not handle a marker the same way as a firearm either

If you take the time to learn how to aim down the side (not an hour or two of target practice, days playing) without the sight, then when you put it back on, on the side it will feel fine or use the 45 offset to still have it a little higher, basically if you want this thing to feel right you have to throw out the notions of handling and aiming your marker like a firearm first. even without the sight the hopper is still there so really, without purchasing a mag fed or at least doing something like a Q loader its not going to move all that much. what will have a greater effect is moving you, not the hopper

on a side note, are you doing your target practice with your mask on or off?

·
Administrator
23,657 Posts
Let his kid have fun, Trbo. If I was a parent, I'd try to get my kid something he will have fun with.

I still think that the offset top mount is the best option.

·
Administrator
14,041 Posts
im not saying dont have fun, Im saying dont try to force something to work in a way it was never intended to. Heck, if it was fun and worked perfectly he wouldnt be here asking these questions. I even think sights are useless but Im still helping this guy try to find a solution. If there was an easy and cheap solution the milsim world would have come up with it by now

all of the solutions are either expensive (mag feed/Q loader) or involve moving the sight or hopper (which he seems to be opposed to)

moving yourself and getting used to a new way of aiming is free though, after that adding the sight in, either to the side of the marker (also free at this point) or using the 45 offset ($10) is the cheapest and simplest solution it just takes effort to learn it.

this also would translate to down the road should he ever get another marker, presuming it has rails you could always mount the sight on the side or off the 45 mount and it wouldnt even matter if it was a centerfeed marker.

Im still confused as to how he is doing target practice with the hopper still in the way though

1 - 13 of 13 Posts